What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Gareth67

First Grade
the boys at bingo would have come out massively wealthy from that sale

now flush could they get the Dragons for a steal and make the DRagons great again? nope !!!

Your right Auntie , would you believe I had similar thoughts when I had my hog farm at Kandos in NSW ?

I was seriously considering putting a bid in for the team myself and renaming them the Kandos St.George Illawarra Dragons ! Of course I would had added a hog to the club emblem.

Unfortunately the beggars all came down with swine fever so I had to put the poor sods down . 🐷

Last edited:

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
The mystery bidder who missed out on part-ownership of St George Illawarra can finally be revealed amid claims he offered $5 million more than Bruce Gordon’s WIN Corporation, which was ultimately successful in taking a 50 per cent stake in the club.

South Coast entrepreneur Paul Smith’s Total Sport and Entertainment, which also owns 50 per cent of the Sydney Kings, had been in serious negotiations with the club since October. It is understood TSE offered exactly $10m to the Dragons, clearing their $5.8m of debt with the NRL while leaving plenty in cash reserves to help build the famous club into the powerhouse it should be.

Did we ever find out in the next annual report how much WIN paid ?

Coffs dragon

Bench
And who can forget bingo offering twice the cash that Mr Gordon offered was rejected because heads would have rolled jobs for the boys, jobs for the boys ........
Move aside the comic book hero Flash Gordon, we have our very own…. Chairman “Flush Gordon”
He has the super powers of
1. Invisibility
2. Deflection
3. Protects & can withhold shit for long periods (like 7.5 years)
Winner winner!!

BBTB

Juniors
Move aside the comic book hero Flash Gordon, we have our very own…. Chairman “Flush Gordon”
He has the super powers of
1. Invisibility
2. Deflection
3. Protects & can withhold shit for long periods (like 7.5 years)
Winner winner!!
Yes, Flush Gordon, our super
Chairman. He's a super scammer..
But fits in very well with his sidekicks, Fat Albert Young, & Peter the Wiesel DOUST.....

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
The mystery bidder who missed out on part-ownership of St George Illawarra can finally be revealed amid claims he offered $5 million more than Bruce Gordon’s WIN Corporation, which was ultimately successful in taking a 50 per cent stake in the club.

South Coast entrepreneur Paul Smith’s Total Sport and Entertainment, which also owns 50 per cent of the Sydney Kings, had been in serious negotiations with the club since October. It is understood TSE offered exactly $10m to the Dragons, clearing their $5.8m of debt with the NRL while leaving plenty in cash reserves to help build the famous club into the powerhouse it should be.

Did we ever find out in the next annual report how much WIN paid ?
We most definitely picked the wrong partner. Three years into the "partnership" and it can be safely categorised as a disaster. What is more depressing is we the fans/stakeholders have no way of removing the BOD's. Gordon (only there because of his father); Doust (only there because of his father) and Young (why is he there?); cannot be removed. In any commercial venture not only would none of those three ever have been hired, but if inexplicitly if they had of been, the charade would have been well and truly up by now and they would have been standing in a Centrelink line.

Broken record I know, but does anyone seriously believe these three stooges will turn up to work today and suddenly become competent? They won't and we're stuck with them.

Nothing more needs to be noted then these clowns would only give Wayne Bennett a 3 year contract (he wanted 5) but persisted with that idiot McGregor for SEVEN YEARS (7 years of hell for supporters). That's right, McGregor got more then double the tenure of Bennett, and if you believe the news he was the 4th highest paid coach by 2018 behind only Bellamy, Bennett and Robinson.

Anything else needs saying?

Dragon David

First Grade
We most definitely picked the wrong partner. Three years into the "partnership" and it can be safely categorised as a disaster. What is more depressing is we the fans/stakeholders have no way of removing the BOD's. Gordon (only there because of his father); Doust (only there because of his father) and Young (why is he there?); cannot be removed. In any commercial venture not only would none of those three ever have been hired, but if inexplicitly if they had of been, the charade would have been well and truly up by now and they would have been standing in a Centrelink line.

Broken record I know, but does anyone seriously believe these three stooges will turn up to work today and suddenly become competent? They won't and we're stuck with them.

Nothing more needs to be noted then these clowns would only give Wayne Bennett a 3 year contract (he wanted 5) but persisted with that idiot McGregor for SEVEN YEARS (7 years of hell for supporters). That's right, McGregor got more then double the tenure of Bennett, and if you believe the news he was the 4th highest paid coach by 2018 behind only Bellamy, Bennett and Robinson.

Anything else needs saying?
The BOD or Bonding of Directors has been a farce for a very long time at this club and if they remain in their respective chairs we are destined to flounder and bob up and down like the proverbial buoy in the ocean. If they are trying to turn us around, they are not doing a good job at all and there has been no utterance coming out from the CEO on behalf of the big wigs to give us something that we can look forward to after this special 100 years of the Dragons.

Griffin unfortunately has not had a good start to his coaching career at the Dragons and the way we are travelling is not wholly his fault. The players he inherited were Mary's Z Troops and he had to augment the roster with players who he has some history with and happy to be with him again (I think). Next year we have a couple of other forwards coming and there would be some others as well which one day we will find out. We should also find out who will be let go. His time so far has seen more suspensions of players unequal to any other season of the Dragons, injuries to key players, sacking, new rules and so on. He of late has not been able to consistently field the same players which has had a detrimental affect on the outcome of our games.

The key to our success will be getting rid of the majority of the BOD, getting good quality and want to play for Dragons players and the same best 17 players selected team which can play each week. Getting rid of most of the BOD I cannot see happening but the other involving the players is achievable.

Gareth67

First Grade
Undoubtedly the club was sold out to the lowest bidder and to compound that disastrous error the new part owner ‘ whom has been a life long Dragon supporter ‘ appears not to be interested in the least of the club’s fortunes - or lack off , on the field itself .

As already said by other members , we have a board of individuals whom have been in the job for far too long . Success has avoided them (despite their best efforts 🤔)and in rugby league , as in the corporate world , success is paramount .

Regardless of what spin they wish to put on it , they have failed miserably , but most importantly they have failed the St.George Illawarra team , the coaching staff and of course the fans .

Damn pity they can not ‘ man-up ‘ to their mistakes , swallow what little pride they may possess and hand in their resignations . If done , then finally the Big Red V would be able to gulp fresh air into their oxygen starved lungs .

Last edited:

Maddragon99

Juniors
I’m probably of the minority on here but I actually don’t mind him tbh. Can cover all spine positions, 14 and can goal kick. Plus I’m sure WT are paying plenty of $$$ too. He needs a fresh start and hopefully he freshens up and enjoys his footy in the red V
I agree, I think he’s the type of player we definitely need, but not what we want. Everyone’s looking for big flashy signings but Mbye is just what we need to round out the team. Big upgrade on Williame.

I agree, I think he’s the type of player we definitely need, but not what we want. Everyone’s looking for big flashy signings but Mbye is just what we need to round out the team. Big upgrade on Williame.
Dude, no offense, we're not in a position where we're "rounding out the team". We are shit, pure and simple, went 0-2 against Wests Tigers and got smashed by clown cars like Canterbury and The Gold Coast. Mbye might or might not be an upgrade on Williame, but Williame is a reserve grader that we shouldn't have signed in the first place. We cannot - CANNOT- keep buying these idiots and not looking at players on the market who will elevate the current rubbish squad.

You buy cheap reserve graders, you end up with a cheap reserve grade squad. Which we have.

backdoor

Juniors
Dude, no offense, we're not in a position where we're "rounding out the team". We are shit, pure and simple, went 0-2 against Wests Tigers and got smashed by clown cars like Canterbury and The Gold Coast. Mbye might or might not be an upgrade on Williame, but Williame is a reserve grader that we shouldn't have signed in the first place. We cannot - CANNOT- keep buying these idiots and not looking at players on the market who will elevate the current rubbish squad.

You buy cheap reserve graders, you end up with a cheap reserve grade squad. Which we have.
Need more triangle players Dr

Maddragon99

Juniors

But harsh there mate, Mbye is a bit better than reserve grade. He can play fullback, centre, halves or dummy half. He would have been handy this year with all our suspensions.

Trifili13

Juniors
If true, on your bike son, the Fox, if media reported numbers are correct is getting less to go to the Dogs than we are paying Lomax. Shows how much we overpay for guys at our club (eg Vaughan $800k) even though they don't perform week in week out, so we don't lose them. Hope Hook and Webby address this moving forward.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I think the 'release" part is pure speculation based on a f/b page saying Lomax had unfollowed the Dragons on his IG account.

Latest posts