What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd20: Parra v Roosters GAME DAY thread @ Mackay 29/7/21

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Of course it’s his fault. He recruited them. There have been plenty of players in the market. Good young players and he has opted to keep these players instead. I can’t see your point but an attempt to shift the blame. He lives and dies by the performance of his team by the players HE RECRUITED.

The end.
Recruiting is a whole of club effort, and clubs don't have the same level of access to recruits at the same prices. A lot of the time clubs have to take what they can get. This goes for coaches too.

IFR33K

Coach
Quite harsh on Opacic. There’s plenty of shit centres going around. You’d prefer Gagai, Brad Parker/Lionel Richie?
At the end of the day, he’s in our top 17 so that RCG and Junior can also be in the top 17.
He played shit yesterday but in other games, he’s had respectable performances

He’s not going to win us any games. With our halves pairing, decent back rowers, average wingers, I think we need strike somewhere. Someone to create something out wide. We’ve been inept in attack for years. Moses’ boot has created a false sense of hope. It’s no secret I want BA gone, but deep down inside I know he can salvage this season. Will he thou? We’re carrying too many plodders. Ffs we got beat by a second string raiders and rosters teams. He needs to make changes.

hindy111

Post Whore
We are in the top 4 yet can get $26 to win the premiership. Has anyone seen a top 4 side been offered such large odds? Has to be a first.

lucablight

First Grade
Quite harsh on Opacic. There’s plenty of shit centres going around. You’d prefer Gagai, Brad Parker/Lionel Richie?
At the end of the day, he’s in our top 17 so that RCG and Junior can also be in the top 17.
He played shit yesterday but in other games, he’s had respectable performances
Gagai and Brad Parker are better centres than Opacic.

hindy111

Post Whore
Except we beat the Storm this year plus matched Penrith. The way we played is the way to beat them. They are better than us so we're going to lose more often than not, but if we are to win we need to control the ball.

Merkins carried on about how much possession we had in the first 20 minutes last night but by half time it was even. So the Roosters must've had just as much ball in the second 20. We can't compete giving away that much ball. Just throwing it around does little to pressure the defence because we don't have the speed to take advantage of it.

Playing one out won't win games. I'd rather we play jungle ball and get good at it. We have 5 weeks to practise. By finals we may have some potent footy in us that will worry top sides.
Otherwise we play safe footy and hope that we can catch 4 bombs and score for the win.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It was. But that’s due at least in part to the fact we threw f**k all at them and they were better in attack.
Well what they threw at us was Manu and Tedesco making clean breaks through our middle defence. It was nothing complicated. Do we have such players? Maybe only Dylan Brown (and Ferguson once upon a time). But the Roosters defence is full of toilers and they close those gaps regardless of fatigue.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So playing manic, as we appeared to in the first half, would be contradictory to this.

Would playing more expansive and taking some changes with more offloads be a decision of the players or decision of the coaching staff?
Arthur's stated we did a lot of stupid things in that first half. Maybe he was talking about all the shit passes we threw under pressure.

84 Baby

Referee
He’s not going to win us any games. With our halves pairing, decent back rowers, average wingers, I think we need strike somewhere. Someone to create something out wide. We’ve been inept in attack for years. Moses’ boot has created a false sense of hope. It’s no secret I want BA gone, but deep down inside I know he can salvage this season. Will he thou? We’re carrying too many plodders. Ffs we got beat by a second string raiders and rosters teams. He needs to make changes.
Opacic isn’t getting paid to win us games but. There’s definitely better centres out there but there’s not many at the price tag. Singling out Opacic won’t affect our performance enough

84 Baby

Referee
Gagai and Brad Parker are better centres than Opacic.
They are. They also have had their share of shit games. And Gagai at least is certainly paid to win games. You reckon he’d do that for us? Even without factoring in who else you’d have to get rid of to afford him. We’ve got monumentally bigger structural issues than Opacic

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Read what I have been writing mate, it's not about shifting the blame - it's about f**kING SHARING the blame.
Coach AND players are at fault, not just the coach.

PERIOD!!
Does anyone need blame? At full strength there's teams who will beat us more often than not. That's not anyone's fault. There's also the fact that every team has bad games. Who gets the blame for that? Maybe everyone, as you say, but it's not a problem that requires a solution. You just go again next week and try to do better.

forward pass

Coach
Jahrome Hughes is nearly 27 years old. He has been a full time footballer since at least 2016, when Dylan Brown was in year 11 at high school. When he was Dylan Brown's age he had played one NRL game, and by his 22nd birthday he had played two games (zero wins). Dylan Brown just turned 21 and has already played 48 games for a 70% win rate. I don't think you grasp quite how young our halves are. But but but Arthur's never gives youngsters a run.

So Pou, can you let us know how many players currently in NRL have played as many games as Brown in the halves this season - without a single Try-assist?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Well if the plan is to look clueless, inept and totally out of his depth it’s working well and he has shared all he needed to share.

And people made fun of Madge for swearing and being inarticulate lol.
There are very few people in rugby league that are articulate. Have you heard that deadshit Bellamy talk?

IFR33K

Coach
Opacic isn’t getting paid to win us games but. There’s definitely better centres out there but there’s not many at the price tag. Singling out Opacic won’t affect our performance enough

Bro, I can dig posts out from last season where you called me out for singling out our wingers. He’s shit. Maybe even sub nrl standard. We need players that will improve the team, not stagnate it. Would love to have penisi out there. Looks strong and promising.

TheRam

Coach
We lost last the two weeks to decimated sides , who in reality wont be near the GF this year under their current available roster. Genuine top sides beat them, regardless of one or two unavailable players

We may jag a West Tigers 05 or Parra 09 and go on an unexpected rampage into the GF, in reality its possible, but also laughable at this point..

I wonder if our board at seasons end or sooner, will start planning or inquiring for a new coach for 2023 and beyond. We possibly honour BAs contract for next year, plus we dont want to rush his replacement, need time to get the right person

Trent Robinson is who we should target IMO. Who is available 2023.

Sell him the challenge and what it means to his coaching legacy. Would become a great on par with Jack Gibson at winning comps with both clubs, breaking this Eels drought will be huge. Letting him know we are keen for him in 2023, would also give him time to possibly bring over 2-3 chooks players he wants with him. Keary would be just lovely for starters.
Sticking point, I dont think Uncle Nick will let him go anytime soon, especially now Fitzgibbon is off to the Sharks - sigh

I would offer him $1.5m a season and all the things you said above. But we just don't have the ruthless ambition to do it. I feel we have to many Pou and Guts types of mentality people at the top who tolerate failure too much and move way to slowly.

IFR33K

Coach

And sorry, if you find the original post I didn’t single him out. I also mention our halves and wingers. I’ve called for changes to most of the backline.

IFR33K

Coach
I would offer him $1.5m a season and all the things you said above. But we just don't have the ruthless ambition to do it. I feel we have to many Pou and Guts types of mentality people at the top who tolerate failure too much and move way to slowly.

Yep. Throw the bank at robbo. At least we won’t die wondering.