What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tariq Sims

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
We sign up forwards like Billy Burns, but let Tariq go ... something I'm missing here?
Burns is younger and presumably the coaches believe they can get a lot more development out if him. Sims has reached his potential and can only go downhill from here. The club wouldn't/couldn't provide what Tariq wanted in terms of an extension past 2022, so generously allowed him to seek a longer contract elsewhere, and offered to release him for next year if it would help him gain a contract. The club has done all it can to help Tariq except offer him a pension .

RedVee

First Grade
Well, I really like Sims but he has had a lot of disappointing games this year.

I hope he plays with us next year and backs himself playing with some stronger blokes around him in the pack. Then plays well enough to retire on a high, or earn a contract with us or someone else.

BBTB

Juniors
Well, I really like Sims but he has had a lot of disappointing games this year.

I hope he plays with us next year and backs himself playing with some stronger blokes around him in the pack. Then plays well enough to retire on a high, or earn a contract with us or someone else.
Just needs to move to the front row.

denis preston

First Grade
The Club did the right thing here, both for the team AND for Tariq.

He has a contract for next year, and now has been given time to look at other options. It would have been low had the Club dragged this on and left him club-less mid next year.
BUT we all know that whilst we are prepared to honour our contract with Tariq, we would love his money for next year to get a younger fresher version !

Old Timer

Coach
We sign up forwards like Billy Burns, but let Tariq go ... something I'm missing here?
Letting him go at the end of his current contract (October 2022) which is what he happily negotiated last time unless of course he wishes to go early.

So he and Burns are on the books at the same time and will have an opportunity to compete for a back row position

hewi

Bench
Rumour is he has got a two year contract with South’s starting next year it was facilitated by Hornby.

Rumour is he has got a two year contract with South’s starting next year it was facilitated by Hornby.
If that's true I reckon he'll flourish there. In amongst a strong back he'll give them extra oomph.. But would assume that if it's as early as next year - we'd have to foot some of his bill.... like the Tigers would with Mbye etc.

But as for the Dragons - I'd think that into next year and beyond, he'd be an absolute asset playing in bursts. Ie less minutes, more impact.

Much like Mitchell Johnson against the poms in the 2013/14 Ashes. He'd had great times but also poor times. But (then captain) Michael Clarke basically said to him - I'm gonna bowl you in 3-4 over spells only. In that time give me all the furiousness you can - knowing you'll get a rest after 3 or 4 overs... It worked an absolute treat. And smashed the poms into oblivion.

Different sport - but if indeed people are right saying the back half of his season wasn't great, my thought is perhaps he just needs to be utilised differently. The guy was flying in the first half of this season. There's been multiple rule changes designed for "fatigue"... crackdowns on high shots - and we know Sims has been "the target" of the NRL judiciary even before this year... Things like this over a sustained season may have affected him, how he's played etc.

I just think he's got a point of difference about him that our club needs. That may mean an offer of less money but at least have that discussion with him. Not just say "ta-taa... thanks for coming".

You need your bog standard forwards who can tackle n do hit ups, but you also need impact players. I don't think we've now got any other impact players if Sims is let go. Maybe De Belin. That's it.

Trifili13

Juniors
If Dragon's are happy for Sims to stay next year, why do we have to carry some freight if he decides to go to another club? It's not as if we are shopping him around to free up some cap space, unless I have missed something. However I can see him potentially being disgruntled if he gets another contract of say 2 to 3 years and the other team only taking him on if we pay some freight for next year.

St Tangles

Bench
We can just say we want you next year but are happy to let you go if you can get a longer term deal elsewhere and not have to chip in

I don't think he gets 700k elsewhere though so if we really don't want him next year there may be some wheeling and dealing behind the scenes

dungay dragon

Juniors
If that's true I reckon he'll flourish there. In amongst a strong back he'll give them extra oomph.. But would assume that if it's as early as next year - we'd have to foot some of his bill.... like the Tigers would with Mbye etc.

But as for the Dragons - I'd think that into next year and beyond, he'd be an absolute asset playing in bursts. Ie less minutes, more impact.

Much like Mitchell Johnson against the poms in the 2013/14 Ashes. He'd had great times but also poor times. But (then captain) Michael Clarke basically said to him - I'm gonna bowl you in 3-4 over spells only. In that time give me all the furiousness you can - knowing you'll get a rest after 3 or 4 overs... It worked an absolute treat. And smashed the poms into oblivion.

Different sport - but if indeed people are right saying the back half of his season wasn't great, my thought is perhaps he just needs to be utilised differently. The guy was flying in the first half of this season. There's been multiple rule changes designed for "fatigue"... crackdowns on high shots - and we know Sims has been "the target" of the NRL judiciary even before this year... Things like this over a sustained season may have affected him, how he's played etc.

I just think he's got a point of difference about him that our club needs. That may mean an offer of less money but at least have that discussion with him. Not just say "ta-taa... thanks for coming".

You need your bog standard forwards who can tackle n do hit ups, but you also need impact players. I don't think we've now got any other impact players if Sims is let go. Maybe De Belin. That's it.
Agree with most of the above BUT you cant pay him top dollar , when you are using him as a Super Sub off the bench ...
Remember we are talking about 23 and beyond...
So if Tariqs keen to stay and prove all n sundry wrong with a big 22 season, and vy for a new contract for 23 , or take the easy money and head else where from next year ...

Agree with most of the above BUT you cant pay him top dollar , when you are using him as a Super Sub off the bench ...
Remember we are talking about 23 and beyond...
So if Tariqs keen to stay and prove all n sundry wrong with a big 22 season, and vy for a new contract for 23 , or take the easy money and head else where from next year ...
I understand that. I've never stated anything about maintaining or getting any certain level of income.

My issue is that that, for a guy like Sims, the club hasn't explored his involvement beyond 2022.

Whatever discussion Sims/his agent and the club have had - we all don't know.

But what is apparent to me is that one of our best-performing forwards over the last few seasons has not been considered worthy of consideration to maintain a spot in the club beyond next year - and a highly-underwhelming club at that.

Many players at the end of their careers take a haircut to keep playing the game - to either stay at their club or to join another. Benji Marshall is a perfect example right now of a guy presenting outstanding value toward the end of his career.

Sims isn't broken with injury, doesn't have social issues or bring the club into disrepute, or any other negative traits or influences off the field. The bloke has been a model clubman.

Form? People can debate that all they like. I see a guy who was clearly our best forward in the first half of this season. Granted - we've got some pretty average forwards for him to be compared against but he also outdid most of the blues pack he played with.

And, if he does indeed leave the club a year early while the Dragons are still picking up a portion of his contract value - I just can't see how that's progress. Unless it helps sign us an absolute gun forward or poach Tom Trbojevic (which is more unlikely than me landing on the moon)...

Carlton

Juniors
We were a team with no starch and limited opportunity for our juniors, almost every forum member wanted a team that put in every game and for our juniors to have genuine pathways. As soon as we have a coach that is working on putting together a roster that has that hard edge and yet allows our juniors to progress we start bashing him.

Players are under contract you cant just move them all, it has to be taken a step at a time so that the players moved are replaced with upgrades and with an eye to the future. When Hook started in probably his first interview he stated he was going to concentrate on the forwards, bringing through the juniors that are good enough to play first grade (not just because they are juniors) and correct the culture (commitment, effort).

If, anyone thinks that the culture was going to change without moving on a significant number of players who had the wrong values then, they are crazy. You could argue that the coach could change the way they are thinking but the reality is the rot has to be cut out or it spreads and it wont matter who comes in if the environment is not right. This is and always was going to be major surgery and the operation was going to take time and the recovery was going to be painful.

For me, we need to move on Lawrie and Bird also and as far as Lomax is concerned he needs to consistently start showing what all the hype was about. Dont blame the journeymen brought in for depth every club has them and needs them, our biggest problems has been our "senior" players and our soft, lazy forwards.

blacksafake

First Grade

I know where you’re coming from but if he wants decent $$ & being a current origin player he would we can’t be paying him well & using him off the bench taking up 2/3 interchanges.
If he can get a contract for good coin for another 3 years elsewhere he’d be mad not to take it.

rasaint

Juniors
I just read that Phil Rothfield is giving us a thumbs down for not offering Tariq one or two years mor past 2022. I Think he is on $600 K a season next year roundabouts. That is very good coin.

He joined dragons when 28 years old after playing for cows and Newcastle for 7 years odd; not exactly some long term faithful player. He was very good in 2018. If he and Gareth stayed healthy in 2018 after flogging Brisbane in the 1st semi, well we win in my view. Yes even with Mary as coach.

2019-20 he was very ordinary and significantly hampered by injury. I think only got on the park 9 times in 2020.

Started 2021 on fire, it was Tariq mark 2018. Last 2/3 season has been very ordinary. I don’t know if he is carrying injury or whatever.

What is the club to do? Of course, honour what I understand is a significant $$$ contract next year. After that he is a 33 year old player in 2023,in a fast modern game. At $250 to $300k yes for one more in 2023 but that’s it. If South’s are offering much more he would be crazy not to grab it.

We need at least another 2 quality backrowers and a fast powerful centre. We are probably stuck with the unremarkable Lomax for many years.( although I understand other clubs are sweating on Lomax to leave us and pick up his contract) Is it possible the club is loading up to pay big for the Panthers big bopper or someone else?

Finally Phil R criticises us for wanting to let Tariq go but aren’t his Sharks trying to move on Fifita ( only 6 months older that Tariq) who won them the title in 2016 and been at his club a long time?

Latest posts