What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 NRL Grand Final

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
Official from the NRL: NRL Grand Final to be played in Brisbane » League Unlimited

Suncorp Stadium will host the 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership Grand Final and Preliminary Finals with Mackay rewarded for their support of rugby league, playing host to Week 2 of the Finals Series.

The Australian Rugby League Commission today reached agreement with the Queensland Government to host the remainder of the Finals Series after the NSW Government confirmed it would not be able to host the Grand Final or remaining Finals matches because of the COVID-19 Pandemic.

Australian Rugby League Commission Chairman Peter V'landys AM thanked both the New South Wales and Queensland Governments for their support of rugby league.

"I'd like to acknowledge the New South Wales Government, in particular Premier Gladys Berejiklian, Deputy Premier John Barilaro and Minister for Tourism Stuart Ayres for working collaboratively with us to reach an outcome that ensures the health and safety of NSW residents and allows the NRL to showcase the Grand Final live to rugby league fans. This has been a long and enduring partnership and one that will continue into the future,'' he said.

"I'd also like to acknowledge Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk and Chief Health Officer Dr Jeanette Young for their support in ensuring the continuity of our competition which provides an escapism to so many fans dealing with lockdowns, but also injects a significant amount of money in to the Queensland economy.

"The Queensland Premier is a warrior for the people of Queensland and just keeps delivering for them."

Mr V'landys said Queensland fans had long campaigned for a Grand Final and the Commission was delighted to reward that loyalty.

"This year we will create history, playing the Grand Final in Brisbane for the very first time. This will be an historic moment for the city and a reward for the support the Queensland community has given us throughout 2021. This year will always be remembered as the year Queensland hosted all of our major events; All Stars, Magic Round, 3 State of Origins and the Grand Final."

NRL Chief Executive Andrew Abdo said the decision to play multiple finals matches in regional Queensland rewarded grassroots fans who would not normally be able to attend finals matches.

"Rugby League is part of the DNA of regional Queensland. A number of towns have played a key role in keeping the competition going and we want to reward those fans and councils for their support of rugby league. From every challenge comes an opportunity and this year has presented us with an opportunity to reward regional Queenslanders with finals games,'' he said.

"We have fans far and wide and our finals schedule acknowledges and rewards our fans in regional areas with live finals football as well as southeast Queensland who has been home to our teams."

Mr Abdo said the NRL would continue to monitor the infection rate in Queensland and work closely with Queensland Health to keep the community healthy.

"Our priority is ensuring the health and safety of the community and we will continue to follow all public health orders and work closely with Queensland Health for the remainder of the series,'' he said.

"I'd also like to acknowledge the people of New South Wales who are currently in lockdown. While you cannot attend matches to support your Club we hope the continuity of the competition has provided you with an outlet to rugby league enjoy during lockdown. I would like to thank the New South Wales Government who continue to be great partners and of course the Queensland Government for the role they have played in ensuring our season could continue this year."

Canard

Immortal
So the NRL has programmed one of a preliminary final directly up against the AFL Grand Final?

Along with clashing the Storm game against an AFL semi this Friday night, it doesn't seem to be the smartest move in terms of TV ratings.

yobbo84

First Grade
So the NRL has programmed one of a preliminary final directly up against the AFL Grand Final?

Along with clashing the Storm game against an AFL semi this Friday night, it doesn't seem to be the smartest move in terms of TV ratings.
Imagine the footy we could've seen for a Panthers v Manly prelim on a dry Sunday track... yeah, missed opportunity for sure!

GongPanther

Referee
Channel nine had artists who were contracted to Tickatek to which Nine had an interest, and most acts were mediocre pub acts at best.

But then again, there has been bugger all world class talent for years, unless they want to give the crowd a fluro stick, some acid to drop, and have some f**k-wit spin some disks at HT.

no name

Coach

It’s the Week 2 semi that clashes with AFL GF.
While I agree there should always be Sunday arvo finals, AFL are the ones that changed their dates and times this year.
NRL have had Week 2 and 3 Friday/Saturday night finals for over a decade.

Canard

Immortal
It’s the Week 2 semi that clashes with AFL GF.
While I agree there should always be Sunday arvo finals, AFL are the ones that changed their dates and times this year.
NRL have had Week 2 and 3 Friday/Saturday night finals for over a decade.
No it's the preliminary final on the 25 September.

The AFL haven't changed the date only the time because it's being played in Perth.

They announced it a week before the NRL confirmed their venues, times so it's not like they didn't know.

If this game involves the Storm, it's another case of the NRL self sabotaging.

DeeJ

Bench
Worst I ever saw was Pete Murray at the 2005 GF. Talk about the completely wrong artist for the occasion. It was an absolute mood-killer..

And beyond that… who ever knows what happened to him since…
I think he's going to be on that SAS show. He's actually a big rugby league fan and used to play for some Sunshine Coast club I'm pretty sure.

I think he's going to be on that SAS show. He's actually a big rugby league fan and used to play for some Sunshine Coast club I'm pretty sure.
Mate good on him. And for the avoidance of any doubt - I’m not poking sticks at Pete Murray. Like Amy Shark, they are a great performer in their own right, highly talented and I’ve got nothing bad to say about them.

It’s the thought process of whoever at the NRL believed that performers with a style like theirs befits the atmosphere of a grand final.

I was at the 2005GF (bloody dragons) and quite honestly can say that it was the most docile atmosphere (during n after his performance) I’ve been in at any game with a significant crowd… and especially a GF. And especially with plenty of Tigers fans that hadn’t seen a win since man walked on the moon.

Last edited:
Well for the 2013 GF many people criticised the choice of Ricky Martin and Jessica Mauboy for the pre-match entertainment, but they rocked it at the ground and had people jumping.

I can imagine, would have been very upbeat, loud and fitting a “celebration mood”.

Funny that I’ve been to 5 grand finals… and only remember the entertainment at one of them. Pete Murray 2005. Got a vague feeling Grinspoon played at the Roosters Dogs GF but can’t be certain.

Maybe like referees, you only remember them for the bad performances.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I can imagine, would have been very upbeat, loud and fitting a “celebration mood”.

Funny that I’ve been to 5 grand finals… and only remember the entertainment at one of them. Pete Murray 2005. Maybe like referees, you only remember them for the bad performances.
Pete Murray remembers you and reckons you sucked too.

Nealo 12

Bench
Makes sense to have the Wiggles this year
Emma Simon GIF by The Wiggles

Latest posts