What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 starting 17? and BAs tenure

TheParraboy

Staff member
Think we start with a similar side to that of the semi finals of 2021

Obviously Reed comes in at 9

Is it true Sivo will miss a good chunk of the start of the season? Might be a good opportunity for someone else to put their hand up Russel? maybe even Waqa there?

Sivo hopefully more agile and quicker when he returns. One dimensional power game isn’t enough. Very impressed with Dunsters rise .

I’m guessing , but I’d say board give BA first 10-12 rounds, all going well may get a one year extension?

the phantom menace

First Grade
Why not !

1. Gutherson
2. Dunster
3. Penisini
4. Blake
5. ?? Perham (assuming Sivo is injured and Fergo chases $ in Japanese rugby?)
6. D Brown
7. Moses

8. Campbell-Gillard
9. Mahoney
10. Paulo
11. Nuikore
12. Papali'i
13. Stone (to soak up first 20min defence etc)

14. ?? Smith (back-up halves/dummy half)
15. N Brown (for impact after 20mins)
16. Kaufusi
17. Lane
18. Cartwright

(Exact make-up of bench varies week to week based on opponents, gameplan etc.)

Noise

Coach
Think we start with a similar side to that of the semi finals of 2021

Obviously Reed comes in at 9

Is it true Sivo will miss a good chunk of the start of the season? Might be a good opportunity for someone else to put their hand up Russel? maybe even Waqa there?

Sivo hopefully more agile and quicker when he returns. One dimensional power game isn’t enough. Very impressed with Dunsters rise .

I’m guessing , but I’d say board give BA first 10-12 rounds, all going well may get a one year extension?
What win / loss record would you want to extend him after the 10 rounds?

the phantom menace

First Grade
Re BA's tenure, if the team is travelling ok - top 4 or close top 6 - by origin time, dangle a 1 year extension, with a KPI of reaching the 3rd week of finals?

But if we fall below 50% wins after 6-8 weeks, time to sign someone else for 2023.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Why not !

1. Gutherson
2. Dunster
3. Penisini
4. Blake
5. ?? Perham (assuming Sivo is injured and Fergo chases $ in Japanese rugby?)
6. D Brown
7. Moses

8. Campbell-Gillard
9. Mahoney
10. Paulo
11. Nuikore
12. Papali'i
13. Stone (to soak up first 20min defence etc)

14. ?? Smith (back-up halves/dummy half)
15. N Brown (for impact after 20mins)
16. Kaufusi
17. Lane
18. Cartwright

(Exact make-up of bench varies week to week based on opponents, gameplan etc.)

Yup Id go with that. Except swap Lane with Cartwright

Some talk we were interested in Peachey from Titans. He would have to be at 14 if he came

emjaycee

Coach
I don't reckon BA will be extended regardless of where we finish 2022.
He will know within the next 3-4 months that 2022 will be his last year and that the club intend to let him finish the complete year.

Whether he does stay the whole year or not will be up to him. And it isn't a sacking. It is the end of a contract - not the same thing.

yy_cheng

Coach
I'm undecided about Perham and Russell... Russell looked good when he played and he's a big body..

Perham has that RTS step and could probably break tackles and score from nowhere... Though not too sure about the rest of his game.

I would really like to see Greig somewhere... I reckon he will be our next Papalli if he gets his fitness up

emjaycee

Coach
Id say be well in the top 4 at the half way mark
Just like this year the halfway mark doesn't always reflect where you will finish.
We played 6 of our last 10 games this year against top 6 teams and won just 1 of them.
In the first 10 games we played just 2 of the top 6 teams (and won both).
If we have a similar draw next year, then we could have a similar start and finish to the season.

DaveMc

Juniors
I don't reckon BA will be extended regardless of where we finish 2022.
He will know within the next 3-4 months that 2022 will be his last year and that the club intend to let him finish the complete year.

Whether he does stay the whole year or not will be up to him. And it isn't a sacking. It is the end of a contract - not the same thing.
I think this is probably right, but the question of course remains who you get to replace him. My concern is timing - if he moved along now I’d love to see us throw everything possible at getting Bennett for two years, the thought of him coaching Moses and Brown genuinely excites me. But given what’s been said about him heading to Brisbane to be involved in the new club up there, surely that could only be realistic (if it is at all) if we were to snap him up next year.

If BA sticks around for 2022 (and given the performance last night, it’s really difficult to see how you could be justified in moving him along right now), who do we get for 2023? Shaun Wane or Flanagan? Or make a real play for one of the few elite coaches that have already got a job?

yy_cheng

Coach
Surely the board have seen enough to know he's not capable of taking the team to the next level and win a comp??? I know i have, another fast start and an extension from a clueless board and there is our premiership window down the tubes.
Alot of players are off contract and available to talk to other in Nov.

I'm sure they would want to know who the coach will be in 2023.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Just like this year the halfway mark doesn't always reflect where you will finish.
We played 6 of our last 10 games this year against top 6 teams and won just 1 of them.
In the first 10 games we played just 2 of the top 6 teams (and won both).
If we have a similar draw next year, then we could have a similar start and finish to the season.

Understand that

Thinking more along the lines of what yy_cheng just said, regarding players wanting to know who is coach, plus we have finally shown we can compete with the big boys. Some better ref calls, Reed in the side and we are there week 3 this year. Moses has finally matured, his best to come I think, and got some brilliant youngsters who will be better next year Dunster and Penisini, positions we were lacking this year

Also ok with what you said earlier as well, BA gets told he wont be extended, and everyone unites to try and win it for him.

emjaycee

Coach
Wouldn't it be great if the NRL could actually put out a draw where each team played each other team once in the first 15 rounds and then we would have an idea of where the comp was heading and where each team was at.
We played the teams that finished 16th, 15th and 13th twice in the first 15 rounds - "Fake Ladder Position".

King-Gutho94

Coach
Wouldn't it be great if the NRL could actually put out a draw where each team played each other team once in the first 15 rounds and then we would have an idea of where the comp was heading and where each team was at.
We played the teams that finished 16th, 15th and 13th twice in the first 15 rounds - "Fake Ladder Position".

Remember in 2018 after 9 rounds we had played just 5 teams. 4 of those were double ups already.

That was most ridiculous draw i had ever seen

Chipmunk

Coach
Re BA's tenure, if the team is travelling ok - top 4 or close top 6 - by origin time, dangle a 1 year extension, with a KPI of reaching the 3rd week of finals?

But if we fall below 50% wins after 6-8 weeks, time to sign someone else for 2023.
You might as well just extend him now. What would the difference be from this year to last year if we're Top 6 by Origin next year?

Latest posts