What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2022 NRL Draw discussion, speculation

GongPanther

Referee
So NRL should give Souths and Brisbane the first match of the year because they didn't win the GF. Sounds logical to me.🤣

Diesel

Referee
It happens too rarely. Twice in the last five years. Given it's the one guaranteed weekend of clear air a round one game in Melbourne should be a no brainer every year.
And this is the problem when non-RL people get involved. I doubt the draw is even put together in Australia. Clubs have their say, then tv, the fixtures like ANZAC/Easter/Queens Birthday are added, send the email to somewhere in Kazakhstan and wait for it to return.

f**k I’m happy to construct the draw for a slab of beer and 2 GF tickets

King-Gutho94

Coach
Did it in 2004
Between 2003-2006 the reigning premiers opened the season.

Dont know why the nrl stopped it tbh i think its a good marker to start the year with the champs kicking off and setting the standard for the season

Maybe it was the world club challenge trip to UK and teams wanted a few extra days to recover

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
So NRL should give Souths and Brisbane the first match of the year because they didn't win the GF. Sounds logical to me.🤣
Based on the article that's not the "because" reason (the article and concept were actually published prior to the GF). It's because Reynolds and Milford against their old clubs is a drawcard. They do it every year. In fact the premiers playing in the first game isn't really a huge thing in the NRL anyway?

Fangs

Coach
I just hope the reigning premiers and people's team (The Penrith Panthers) get a draw that benefits the fans. As many FTA games as possible and at the most desirable timeslots.

2021 was a big year for the Panthers, and all signs point to 2022 being even bigger.

this would be a good opening round ( AEST kick offs. an hour earlier in QLD )

Thurs 7.45 Penrith V Bulldogs
Fri 6.00 Newcastle V Sharks
Fri 7.55 Souths V Brisbane
Sat 5.30 Tigers V Dragons ( leichardt)
Sat 7.30 Melb V Roosters
Sat 9.30 Cowboys V Raiders
Sun 4.00 Parramatta V Manly
Sun 6.30 Titans V Warriors

johnny plath

Juniors
I've always thought that round 1 should have a game in every city they we have a team. 8 venues.. Townsville, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Newcastle, Sydney, Canberra, Auckland, Melbourne. Times and opponents can be figured but gives all fans a chance to be a part of the season opener.

Fangs

Coach
I've always thought that round 1 should have a game in every city they we have a team. 8 venues.. Townsville, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Newcastle, Sydney, Canberra, Auckland, Melbourne. Times and opponents can be figured but gives all fans a chance to be a part of the season opener.

It's a good idea as we are the National Rugby League competition.

The_Frog

First Grade
Based on the article that's not the "because" reason (the article and concept were actually published prior to the GF). It's because Reynolds and Milford against their old clubs is a drawcard. They do it every year. In fact the premiers playing in the first game isn't really a huge thing in the NRL anyway?
It's because the Broncos get higher ratings being the only team in a city of 2.5m and Nine, who run this game, wants them on FTA every week.

Valheru

Coach
this would be a good opening round ( AEST kick offs. an hour earlier in QLD )

Thurs 7.45 Penrith V Bulldogs
Fri 6.00 Newcastle V Sharks
Fri 7.55 Souths V Brisbane
Sat 5.30 Tigers V Dragons ( leichardt)
Sat 7.30 Melb V Roosters
Sat 9.30 Cowboys V Raiders
Sun 4.00 Parramatta V Manly
Sun 6.30 Titans V Warriors

Bulldogs seems an underwhelming opener for the premiers.

The GF replay and parra sell themselves so should be saved for other rounds. Melbourne or roosters makes the most sense IMO.

you're not going one game all round in the games biggest market .. Sydney to start the season.

Bulldogs seems an underwhelming opener for the premiers.

The GF replay and parra sell themselves so should be saved for other rounds. Melbourne or roosters makes the most sense IMO.
Won't matter that its the dogs , & they'll be a stronger unit in 2022 & burtons first game against his old club will be a focus. Game will sellout for sure

melb need a game with free air down there & a strong opponent , so swapping the dogs for the roosters isn't smart

Last edited:

johnny plath

Juniors
you're not going one game all round in the games biggest market .. Sydney to start the season.
Really... why not.. its one round to open the season. Id say a good chance that a spread of games like that will get bigger crowds at the games and more eyes on TV than 4 games in Sydney and another 4 some where else..or whatever mix of venues you think.

Really... why not.. its one round to open the season. Id say a good chance that a spread of games like that will get bigger crowds at the games and more eyes on TV than 4 games in Sydney and another 4 some where else..or whatever mix of venues you think.
thats not a given
sydney makes up half the comp & to have just one game there in the opening round to start the season is lunacy

Last Week

Bench
Round 1.

Thursday
Penrith v Parramatta. Considering the controversial way Penrith won the semi against Parra, the local rivalry and two top teams. Should be a good game.

Friday
6pm - New Zealand v Canterbury. Friday night in New Zealand.
8pm - South Sydney v Brisbane.

Saturday
3pm - Canberra v Newcastle
5:30pm - St George/Illawarra v Cronulla
7:30pm - Melbourne v Manly

Sunday
4pm - Gold Coast v Roosters
6pm - Wests Tigers v North Queensland

Latest posts