What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official: Redcliffe Dolphins to join NRL in 2023

Dolphins vs Sharks or Manly can be the ‘sons of beaches’ round.

And we can have a Q Clash - any time Broncos, Titans, Cowboys and Dolphins play.
A lot of beaches in the NRL - Bondi, Gold Coast, Sharks, Manly. The only difference is these beaches don't bleed once a month, they bleed once a year (annual reporting season).

azza29

Juniors
I don't think sticking with the Redcliffe name would do them any damage to be honest. Creates another point of difference with the Broncos rather than simply being Brisbane #2, certainly doesn't seem to have hurt Fremantle or Port Adelaide's support bases in the AFL (always thought GWS might have done better as the Blacktown or Parramatta Giants as well).

some11

Referee
Will be interesting to see how they do. Had the Crushers never been kicked out they could realistically have had Cam Smith, Thurston and Cronk playing for them. Will they actually be able to compete long term or will they be another Titans once the new team novelty wears off.
For starters, the dolphins have an actual grassroots presence.

some11

Referee
Concerningly there has been allegations that of the three bids the dolphins are the one News ltd wanted. Make of that what you will.
They're going to bankroll the strongest club to take on the Broncos. Some real competition in the area is a good thing.

roofromoz

First Grade
tumblr_or982aCNdO1uzae1ko1_500.gifv
Get your gifs ready for the game day threads

some11

Referee
Are they really just going to be known as "The Dolphins"? That's awful
Just because you aren't familiar with Queensland rugby league doesn't mean you have to stick your nose up at it. The phins have been around since 1947.

t-ba

Post Whore
Just because you aren't familiar with Queensland rugby league doesn't mean you have to stick your nose up at it. The phins have been around since 1947.

From what I can see it's more a worry that they won't have a geographic identifier.

Which I think is a fair critique.

I don't think clubs need big geographic regions to be successful. Everton, Chelsea, Tottenham and Aston (Villa) are all places that are part of a bigger place after all and seem to have no problems drawing fans from their cities. In the case of Villa they're actually bigger than the club called 'Birmingham'

I think Redcliffe would be fine but I guess they don't.

Valheru

Coach
What type of following do we expect the new team to get? I know bugger all about QLD demographics so is there some big pool of fans in Brisbane that hate the Broncos and will jump on board or is this more a case that whatever fans they get are currently Broncos fans who feel more of a kinship for the Redcliffe region like when Western Sydney entered the A-League?

Canard

Immortal
From what I can see it's more a worry that they won't have a geographic identifier.

Which I think is a fair critique.

I don't think clubs need big geographic regions to be successful. Everton, Chelsea, Tottenham and Aston (Villa) are all places that are part of a bigger place after all and seem to have no problems drawing fans from their cities. In the case of Villa they're actually bigger than the club called 'Birmingham'

I think Redcliffe would be fine but I guess they don't.

I don't think for a second they will be known just as "The Dolphins", it appears to be me that they are just giving the team/club a chance to announce their "new name" later. (this arvo?)

blaza88z

Coach
Bronco fans will most likely support both, doesn't really expand the game at all

If they wanted to leave their mark on Brisbane then they needed to make this a team out at Ipswich or something, they are moving in next door to one of the richest brands in Australian sport. Wayne will probably coach them to early success but there after, that will be the challenge.

Could be Titans v2.0, quite easily actually

GAZF

First Grade
Bronco fans will most likely support both, doesn't really expand the game at all
They're probably banking on increased fan engagement from existing fans as a starting off point. Qld derbies should increase from 6 to 12 a year.

Latest posts