What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official: Redcliffe Dolphins to join NRL in 2023

blaza88z

Coach
What type of following do we expect the new team to get? I know bugger all about QLD demographics so is there some big pool of fans in Brisbane that hate the Broncos and will jump on board or is this more a case that whatever fans they get are currently Broncos fans who feel more of a kinship for the Redcliffe region like when Western Sydney entered the A-League?

I actually think this will hurt Melbourne more than it would Brisbane, Melbourne's talent for as long as I can remember has been Brisbane talent that the Broncos either didn't identify or were happy to let go through the system at some stage, you'd think another club smack back in the middle of Brisbane would make it a little bit harder for them.

There are also the fans in Brisbane who identify with Melbourne for whatever reason, now they don't have to identify with Melbourne. Although I presume until Redcliffe is a top 4 side, they most probably will.

yobbo84

First Grade
Just because you aren't familiar with Queensland rugby league doesn't mean you have to stick your nose up at it. The phins have been around since 1947.
You've missed my point. "The Dolphins" is rubbish. I'm sure they'll change it. A generic name like "North Brisbane Dolphins" is no better anyway.

If they've been the Redcliffe Dolphins since 1947, they should stay the Redcliffe Dolphins. It's where they're from. Do people in Brisbane know or care where Cronulla, Parramatta or Canterbury are? Why should the reverse matter for Sydney-siders?

The Warriors should have stayed the Auckland Warriors. The Roosters should still be Eastern Suburbs.

Generic location names should be consigned to the past.

Fangs

Coach
Welcome Dolphins.

Looks like they will have one of the best grounds in the country to watch football at. Looking forward to seeing a game up there.

yobbo84

First Grade
The Dolphins will be based at Moreton Daily Stadium, which was used for NRL matches this season, but will play most of their home games at Suncorp Stadium.

NRL CEO Andrew Abdo said Redcliffe officials had agreed that the club would be known simply as the Dolphins after previously outlining plans for fans and members to help choose a name.

Redcliffe will continue to field teams from junior level through to the Queensland Cup but the Dolphins NRL franchise is aiming to have a presence on the Sunshine Coast, as well as the Moreton Bay region.
Source: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/10/13/dolphins-to-become-nrls-17th-team-in-2023/

As I suspected. That's awful seppo rubbish.

Canard

Immortal

This NRL article was written at 12.42pm (after the one above)

The Redcliffe-based club, who will play under the Dolphins moniker but are yet to decide on a name, will hold a press conference in Brisbane at 2pm (AEST).

I guess we will wait for the press conference.

myrrh ken

First Grade
I already hate them. The Dolphins.

Like Sydney Roosters, NZ Warriors, Sydney Bulldogs, The Sharks.

No identity, no heart.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Will they be allowed to play in red and white?
The NRL might ask them to add a colour to distinguish them from the Illawarra Club

myrrh ken

First Grade
Will they be allowed to play in red and white?
The NRL might ask them to add a colour to distinguish them from the Illawarra Club
Dolphin-grey or if that doesn't make a good colour then black. Would be good to see the bears colours again

Latest posts