What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official: Redcliffe Dolphins to join NRL in 2023

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Will be interesting to see how they do. Had the Crushers never been kicked out they could realistically have had Cam Smith, Thurston and Cronk playing for them. Will they actually be able to compete long term or will they be another Titans once the new team novelty wears off.
Titans have huge potential as the early years showed. It was them screwing the local community with the construction of the Centre of Excellence that left a sour taste in people's mouth. Hopefully they can recover the support.

wittyfan

Referee
Such a missed opportunity imo.
This team won't bring any new fans to the game, preaching to the choir.

Perth or South Island NZ would have grown the game.
Claims that this is being done in the name of an "expansion bid" is laughable.

This new club will be the South Queensland Crushers 2.0.

blaza88z

Coach
Any new NRL Dolphins fans on here?

There are a couple on BHQ (Official Broncos fan forum) that are supportive of Redcliffe getting a team in the NRL but I haven't seen anyone pledge their allegiance to Redcliffe over any other team as of yet, it has the same feel about it as the Titans had when they were introduced.

I suspect it will be a team for those in Brisbane who despise of the Broncos and possibly support another team but locally, they aren't able to get out to many games for geographical reasons. Not really many people's "first team" but a team that they are happy to support, does that make them a fan? Does that grow the game? I think time will tell but for me (and I could be biased), I don't think this is necessarily expansion.

I think it's years and years of people based in Sydney sick of having to fight like a caged lion to secure quality players in a red hot market.. meanwhile Brisbane being a 1 team town, the perception is that the Broncos have an entire state to choose from but it's nowhere near the truth, not anymore. Look how many quality QLD based juniors have popped up in other teams, it's not by chance.. sure, we screwed up a few times and let some good ones go but it's not the case with all of them. I think it's the same situation in NZ too, which you can probably relate to. It's all well and good to say NZ have the entire of NZ to choose from but how many kids show up playing for other clubs? It's not as easy as people may think. It's a hot hot market these days, you don't simply have the rights to all sorts of talent just because your team is based in the area.

This season alone for example, before Brendan Piakura and Selwyn Cobbo even played an NRL game there were other clubs dipping their toes in the water, Reece Walsh is another obvious example.

The fanbase will take years to build and that was always going to be the way. First up you'll get local footy fans buying memberships etc, even though they are fans of other clubs, because they want to go to more local games. They'll bring their kids along and they'll eventually become full fledged fans down the road and the ball will keep rolling getting bigger and bigger.

This is how the fanbase of the Titans has gone. While they havent grown as much as the comp wanted i think a team with already rusted on fans like Redcliffe will give them a bigger boost and chance of success

blaza88z

Coach
The fanbase will take years to build and that was always going to be the way. First up you'll get local footy fans buying memberships etc, even though they are fans of other clubs, because they want to go to more local games. They'll bring their kids along and they'll eventually become full fledged fans down the road and the ball will keep rolling getting bigger and bigger.

This is how the fanbase of the Titans has gone. While they havent grown as much as the comp wanted i think a team with already rusted on fans like Redcliffe will give them a bigger boost and chance of success

Not if they aren't prepared to call themselves the Redcliffe Dolphins, it will go from a rich in history footy club to a generic NRL franchise.

T-Boon

Coach
Claims that this is being done in the name of an "expansion bid" is laughable.

This new club will be the South Queensland Crushers 2.0.
Dolphins is a better name than Crushers. SQ Dolphins would be okay. Would get 20k plus each fortnight.

Timbo

Staff member
So this team, 'The Dolphins', who have started it off by making it deeply unclear where they actually represent, are saying they will play home games at Suncorp, Redcliffe and the Sunshine Coast.

It's a bold f**king strategy Cotton to use The Wests Tigers as the template for your team. Let's see how it works out for 'em.

Not if they aren't prepared to call themselves the Redcliffe Dolphins, it will go from a rich in history footy club to a generic NRL franchise.
Thats an exageration lol

The kids wont care and the vast majority of Redcliffe fans wont care either im betting.

Changing the name hasnt effected the tonnes of NRL teams that have done it in the past. History is cool but practicallity needs to be considered too

T-Boon

Coach
For Brisbane people, anything north of the River is "northside" and vice versa
you would think it would be north of the centre of the city rather than the river. I'd think of the centre of the city being from the north side of the river to an equal distance north of the middle of the main street of town.

blaza88z

Coach
Thats an exageration lol

The kids wont care and the vast majority of Redcliffe fans wont care either im betting.

Changing the name hasnt effected the tonnes of NRL teams that have done it in the past. History is cool but practicallity needs to be considered too

Well they can't go with this 72 years of history crap if they aren't prepared to associate with the region, they have to find a regional name so people know who they are representing.

T-Boon

Coach
Well they can't go with this 72 years of history crap if they aren't prepared to associate with the region, they have to find a regional name so people know who they are representing.
Stop being a clown.
You are just upset that we are already the best club in Brisbane. Dolphin Nation!!

blaza88z

Coach
Is this the first time in RL history that a second division team has been promoted?

I'd say it hasn't happened yet if they don't call themselves the Redcliffe Dolphins, I would assume that team would still remain in the QLD Cup