What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official: Redcliffe Dolphins to join NRL in 2023

Well they can't go with this 72 years of history crap if they aren't prepared to associate with the region, they have to find a regional name so people know who they are representing.
Why not? They are run by the same people, with the same mascot (and likely colours) with their head office and training base at the same club and fields

Are you suggesting the Roosters cant claim their "Foundation club" status for the same reason?

toomuchsoup

Juniors
2020-bulletproof-updates-logo-packaging-design-for-cadbury-old-gold-3.jpg
What a shit combination of colours.
I think it’s a great combo

and now I want chocolate

Game_Breaker

Coach
Perhaps they will go with the local aboriginal name for Redcliffe
I looked it up and it’s Kau-in-Kau-in, doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue

For Brisbane it’s Mianjin

The Mianjin Dolphins

t-ba

Post Whore
Perhaps they will go with the local aboriginal name for Redcliffe
I looked it up and it’s Kau-in-Kau-in, doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue

For Brisbane it’s Mianjin

The Mianjin Dolphins

Ahh, the Golden Noodles.

Pretty brave taking on a Chinese name!

blaza88z

Coach
Why not? They are run by the same people, with the same mascot (and likely colours) with their head office and training base at the same club and fields

Are you suggesting the Roosters cant claim their "Foundation club" status for the same reason?

Why not just make it simple and call your team the Redcliffe Dolphins, I think a lot of people with half an interest are waiting to see exactly who this team will be representing

I can't think of any other sporting team that doesn't associate with a region, they've got time to come up with an appropriate name and I genuinely expect that they will. For me "The Dolphins", bit of a joke of a name really. That's something you'd expect the nickname of a team to be "The Black Caps, The Wallabies" etc..

Timbo

Staff member
It’s classic NRL though.

They almost certainly came up with this in-house, maybe tested it with a focus group, but not once thought about asking football fans if they thought it was a good idea.

Why not just make it simple and call your team the Redcliffe Dolphins, I think a lot of people with half an interest are waiting to see exactly who this team will be representing

I can't think of any other sporting team that doesn't associate with a region, they've got time to come up with an appropriate name and I genuinely expect that they will. For me "The Dolphins", bit of a joke of a name really. That's something you'd expect the nickname of a team to be "The Black Caps, The Wallabies" etc..
Oh i agree and I expect them to have a regional name to go along with Dolphins

Just dont agree with you that being known as anything but Redcliffe means they cant claim any history

t-ba

Post Whore

Arsenal comes to mind.

Strictly speaking 'Catalans' isn't a place but rather an ethnic identity. It's pretty clearly associated with a region however.

I'm not a big fan of just a nickname however.

GAZF

First Grade
The most used word in the English language is "the". I used it thrice in my last sentence.

From here on, whenever we use the word "the", we will be reminded of "The Dolphins". I used it thrice more.

I can't think of a better way to get a team's nickname into the collective conscience immediately.

How bizarre juts calling themselves "The Dolphins" guess it makes relocation easier down the track lol Confirmed by Abdo that they aren't going to use anything other than that.

This is the same dunce who said they wouldnt move the Penrith v Storm game that clashed with the AFL GF too

Grain of salt

The most used word in the English language is "the". I used it thrice in my last sentence.

From here on, whenever we use the word "the", we will be reminded of "The Dolphins". I used it thrice more.

I can't think of a better way to get a team's nickname into the collective conscience immediately.
The logo looks pretty smoothe though.

Would love to see if you had some concepts for gear floating around.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The official unveiling of the NRL’s 17th team has left everyone asking the same question and making the exact same joke.

Everyone had the same joke when the Dolphins, the NRL’s newest team, was officially unveiled on Wednesday.
What actually are the Dolphins?

With the team yet to announce what geographic district it will represent, there has been plenty of head-scratching since the new team was confirmed on Wednesday.

The team has ties to the Redcliffe community and the Redcliffe Dolphins in the Intrust Super Cup competition — but the team won’t include the suburb name in its title.

The new franchise is a completely separate entity from the Redcliffe Dolphins, based in the northern Brisbane suburb approximately 40km from the CBD.

For now, the franchise is simply ‘The Dolphins’.
There was previously an expectation that the team would by titled ‘Brisbane Dolphins’ — but all bets are off with the club confirming it will consult with supporters before deciding on a final name.

NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo also raised eyebrows when he said the Dolphins will not be attached to an area by name in his Wednesday press conference.

As it stands, the team name will remain the Dolphins, and they will play home games at Suncorp Stadium and other venues in the Brisbane area.

Latest posts