What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Two Roster

MugaB

Coach
Let's say this goes ahead, let's say you're part of the football department, and are actively on the look out for Marquee signings for your 1st year in 2023, who's your pick, realistically players that are about to go off contract or are floating from club to club and might suit the New Queensland club.
Let's not Forget Wayne Bennett might be the coach as he has stated he is available next year, and most probably is not going to go back to the bronx.
Also there will be at least 10-15 signings from the local SEQ area, of either Easts, Redcliffe or Ipswich, so not looking to fill a whole squad of purely NRL experienced players.

Well for me, some of the players that might be an option for this new team=
*Adam Reynolds is no.1
If he remains at souths one more year, as they have offered, he could demand to top dollar and lengthy contract he has been looking for at Bris2 under wayne.
*Benji Marshall is another, experienced 5/8th, also can cover other positions, also a great foil for adam reynolds.
*Kurt Capewell, Qld origin back rower, can cover centres if needed, junior GF winner with Ipswich Jets.
*Corey Oates, big lofty winger, might be a good pick up, if bronx are promoting more of their juniors.
*Josh McGuire, tough, rough, middle man.
*Brandon Smith, might want to cement a hooker position, but can also fill in at lock.
*Lachlan Lewis, most likely getting moved on by the dogs, with Matt Burton starting there in '22, could be a future 5/8th of the new team.
*Corey Allen, fullback, also worked under wayne, at both Souths and Qld, depending on Addo-Carr if he plays fullback at dogs, he might be available.
*Tom Opacic, solid centre, started at redcliffe, been a great pick up at cows & eels. Might be looking to play local.
*Sebastian Kris, explosive centre, currently at the Raiders, seems to be getting a bit more game time since Jarrod Croker had been injured, but would be a great signing if free by '23.
*Josh Kerr, rangy prop at the dragons.
*Billy Walters, plays 5/8th at the tigers, might be a controversial signing, as his dad is the current bronx coach, but could be a good pick up.
*Eddie Blacker, signed at panthers, young prop, could be stuck behind a few good forwards, getting a go elsewhere could get more 1st grade experience.
*J'mayne Hopgood, lock forward, same as above at the panthers.
*Nico Hynes, looking to cement a spot, might edge out Corey Allen for a fullback spot. Or safe bet as a speedy winger.
*Dylan Napa, depending on his price could be be a great pick up, and a return to Qld might get him back in his form that he had at the roosters, some years back.
* Will Chambers, Experienced Centre, currently at the sharks.
* Moses M'bye, experienced Ultilty, currently at the tigers.
***Cameron Munster, this one is extremely doubtful as Storm have invested a lot of time, but was publically stating a return to the sunshine state was a possibility.... still i dont see it.
*** Corey Horsburgh, not sure Canberra would want to lose this one, but i think he might be available in 2023.
*** Josh Papali'i, same as above, he seems to be the staple of the raiders forward pack. Could be a massive signing if head hunted, probably as big as Glen Lazarus was for both Broncos and Storm.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
For me getting Adam Reynolds and Kurt Capewell is a must, any random 3-6 other players on that list also will cement enough NRL game experience for the new franchise to be at least competetive from day dot. Josh Papali'i would probably be my 3rd choice. But seeing though he is such a big figure at the Raiders i don't see him getting let go.
If the Brisbane bid does go ahead, and if Wayne Bennett gets the gig. I'm pretty sure the players on that list will swarm to him, i suppose its just about not trying to have too many key marquee players who play only one position for overs

Last edited:
Let's say this goes ahead, let's say you're part of the football department, and are actively on the look out for Marquee signings for your 1st year in 2023, who's your pick, realistically players that are about to go off contract or are floating from club to club and might suit a Queensland club.
Let's not Forget Wayne Bennett might be the coach as he has stated he is available next year, and most probably is not going to go back to the bronx.

Well for me,
*Adam Reynolds is no.1
If he remains at souths one more year, as they have offered, he could demand to top dollar and lengthy contract he has been looking for at Bris2 under wayne.
*Benji Marshall is another, experienced 5/8th, also can cover other positions, also a great foil for adam reynolds.
*Kurt Capewell, Qld origin back rower, can cover centres if needed, junior GF winner with Ipswich Jets.
*Corey Oates, big lofty winger, might be a good pick up, if bronx are promoting more of their juniors.
*Josh McGuire, tough, rough, middle man.
*Brandon Smith, might want to cement a hooker position, but can also fill in at lock.
*Lachlan Lewis, most likely getting moved on by the dogs, with Matt Burton starting there in '22, could be a future 5/8th of the new team.
*Corey Allen, fullback, also worked under wayne, at both Souths and Qld, depending on Addo-Carr if he plays fullback at dogs, he might be available.
*Tom Opacic, solid centre, started at redcliffe, been a great pick up at cows & eels. Might be looking to play local.
*Sebastian Kris, explosive centre, currently at the Raiders, seems to be getting a bit more game time since Jarrod Croker had been injured, but would be a great signing if free by '23.
*Josh Kerr, rangy prop at the dragons.
*Billy Walters, plays 5/8th at the tigers, might be a controversial signing, as his dad is the current bronx coach, but could be a good pick up.
*Eddie Blacker, signed at panthers, young prop, could be stuck behind a few good forwards, getting a go elsewhere could get more 1st grade experience.
*J'mayne Hopgood, lock forward, same as above at the panthers.
*Nico Hynes, looking to cement a spot, might edge out Corey Allen for a fullback spot. Or safe bet as a speedy winger.
*Dylan Napa, depending on his price could be be a great pick up, and a return to Qld might get him back in his form that he had at the roosters, some years back.
* Will Chambers, Experienced Centre, currently at the sharks.
* Moses M'bye, experienced Ultilty, currently at the tigers.
***Cameron Munster, this one is extremely doubtful as Storm have invested a lot of time, but was publically stating a return to the sunshine state was a possibility.... still i dont see it.
*** Corey Horsburgh, not sure Canberra would want to lose this one, but i think he might be available in 2023.
*** Josh Papali'i, same as above, he seems to be the staple of the raiders forward pack. Could be a massive signing if head hunted, probably as big as Glen Lazarus was for both Broncos and Storm.

Good list.

Of course all these guys will be approx 2 years older at the time of Bris2...

Reynolds would be 32/33.... so I agree, still a good season or two in him - and for a new club, having an experienced/quality halfback would be crucial..

Marshall however... he'd be 38! I love benji, and even loved him when he played for the dragons... but that might be a bridge too far..

I would think that the ideal is a mix of existing NRL talent and bringing through rookies. The target should be (IMO) to grow the side over the first 2 seasons this way...

The Key positions that "NRL Players" should cover IMO is of course within the spine - but I'd also suggest the Front row. Hardheads who can lead the way,

Some of the guys you've mentioned would be great for a new club.

So if it were me I'd go..

Fullback - Gutherson. While opinions on Gutherson can vary (happy to admit i've not been a fan of some of his traits), there's no doubt he's a great team man and a very good fullback. For a brand new team I think he'd be a great asset on AND off the field for the group. He'd also got many seasons left in him. Hynes looks an outstanding prospect and would also be a great 1.

5/8 - Munster without a doubt would be the man here but as you've suggested, the Storm will be hard to leave. So......Corey Norman. Would be 32. Norman is a polarising figure. I don't see him with the Dragons beyond his current contract but he'll still be of an age where he's got footy in him. Being a Qlder could be a lure aswell to go home. I don't think he's as "bad" as most Dragons fans think, he's also got an emormous boot on him.. and they'd get him with value for money (I do think we paid overs but then again Widdop left us in a hole when he wanted to go back to the UK and we needed to plug a gap with limited options).

7 - Adam Reynolds. Or otherwise someone like Chad Townsend. Has won a comp with the Sharks and IMO plays in a similar way to Reynolds - although I do think Reynolds is the pick of the two.

Hooker - Tricky one. But Reed Mahoney would be the absolute pick for mine. Also a Qlder, he's the best Hooker coming through the ranks for mine. Outside Mahoney... Brandon Smith is another. Has 2 years to go at the Storm, although would like a release to play Hooker.... I reckon if he plays out his contract at the storm as Lock, that wouldn't be a bad option for him at all.. which then leaves the timing right to come up to Brisbane.

Front Row - Christian Welch + Josh Papalii. And Potentially Josh Kerr. Papalii seems like he's been around for ages but would "only" be 30 by this time. His form this year has been well below par, but till think he's got a lot to offer. Welch is IMO one of the best props going around.. Also a Qlder... Kerr is a great talent but I feel is absolutely wasted on the egde like Griffin is playing him right now. He's a genuine prop built like a prop... Trying to run him into the "Dragons Kikau" is an experiment gone wrong. Would be very handy in a new team.

The rest I'd plug with either juniors or players early in their NRL careers. Give them two seasons together... and there's the makings of a strong club..

MugaB

Coach
Good list.

Of course all these guys will be approx 2 years older at the time of Bris2...

Reynolds would be 32/33.... so I agree, still a good season or two in him - and for a new club, having an experienced/quality halfback would be crucial..

Marshall however... he'd be 38! I love benji, and even loved him when he played for the dragons... but that might be a bridge too far..

I would think that the ideal is a mix of existing NRL talent and bringing through rookies. The target should be (IMO) to grow the side over the first 2 seasons this way...

The Key positions that "NRL Players" should cover IMO is of course within the spine - but I'd also suggest the Front row. Hardheads who can lead the way,

Some of the guys you've mentioned would be great for a new club.

So if it were me I'd go..

Fullback - Gutherson. While opinions on Gutherson can vary (happy to admit i've not been a fan of some of his traits), there's no doubt he's a great team man and a very good fullback. For a brand new team I think he'd be a great asset on AND off the field for the group. He'd also got many seasons left in him. Hynes looks an outstanding prospect and would also be a great 1.

5/8 - Munster without a doubt would be the man here but as you've suggested, the Storm will be hard to leave. So......Corey Norman. Would be 32. Norman is a polarising figure. I don't see him with the Dragons beyond his current contract but he'll still be of an age where he's got footy in him. Being a Qlder could be a lure aswell to go home. I don't think he's as "bad" as most Dragons fans think, he's also got an emormous boot on him.. and they'd get him with value for money (I do think we paid overs but then again Widdop left us in a hole when he wanted to go back to the UK and we needed to plug a gap with limited options).

7 - Adam Reynolds. Or otherwise someone like Chad Townsend. Has won a comp with the Sharks and IMO plays in a similar way to Reynolds - although I do think Reynolds is the pick of the two.

Hooker - Tricky one. But Reed Mahoney would be the absolute pick for mine. Also a Qlder, he's the best Hooker coming through the ranks for mine. Outside Mahoney... Brandon Smith is another. Has 2 years to go at the Storm, although would like a release to play Hooker.... I reckon if he plays out his contract at the storm as Lock, that wouldn't be a bad option for him at all.. which then leaves the timing right to come up to Brisbane.

Front Row - Christian Welch + Josh Papalii. And Potentially Josh Kerr. Papalii seems like he's been around for ages but would "only" be 30 by this time. His form this year has been well below par, but till think he's got a lot to offer. Welch is IMO one of the best props going around.. Also a Qlder... Kerr is a great talent but I feel is absolutely wasted on the egde like Griffin is playing him right now. He's a genuine prop built like a prop... Trying to run him into the "Dragons Kikau" is an experiment gone wrong. Would be very handy in a new team.

The rest I'd plug with either juniors or players early in their NRL careers. Give them two seasons together... and there's the makings of a strong club..
Ben Hunt is also off contract, he can play halfback and makeshift hooker at representative level, again i'd be throwing huge money at Kurt Capewell, and i forgot Welsh and Norman, but taken Corey Norman would be a little bit of a step backwards, as he has had many off field dramas that probably are best to avoid being at a new franchise.
Chad Townsend is playing at Cowboys next year, if does well maybe a bidding war happens, if not, well comes off contract and gets replaced by dearden.
I do like Mahoney, but good luck getting King Gutho, he'll never leave pawwa.
Dylan Edwards on the other hand might just be the perfect choice, due to his stable tackle breaking workrate, and defensive work. Panthers will be hard pressed to keep the same squad for the next few seasons, i feel any team that has a long contract ready for edwards will get him, for a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Ben Hunt is also off contract, he can play halfback and makeshift hooker at representative level, again i'd be throwing huge money at Kurt Capewell, and i forgot Welsh and Norman, but taken Corey Norman would be a little bit of a step backwards, as he has had many off field dramas that probably are best to avoid being a new franchise.
Chad Townsend is playing at Cowboys next year, if does wellmaybe a bidding war happens, if not, well comes off contract and gets replaced by dearden.
I do like Mahoney, but good luck getting King Gutho, he'll never leave pawwa.
Dylan Edwards on the other hand might just be the perfect choice, due to his stable tackle breaking workrate, and defensive work. Panthers will be hard pressed to keep the same squad for the next few seasons, i feel any team that has a long contract ready for edwards will get him, for a reasonable price.

Mate absolutely re Ben Hunt.. soon as I left to head out after that post of mine I realised I'd overlooked him... He'd actually be my top pick for 7 ... if he can string together some good seasons at the Dragons, and by then we've got the likes of Sullivan n Clune established in the halves.... they could take Norman and Hunt.... played together etc...

Re Norman - it's not been a case of any over-the-top issues for mine. A Scrap where he was defending a mate - alledgedly with racial elements, having a chinese meal that included bikers.... winning $25k or so on the pokies.... unless I'm missing something else?? I think his acquisition would add greater value if Hunt went along with him - with a few more seasons together under their belt...

Dylan Edwards is a pretty handy fella too.

MugaB

Coach
Mate absolutely re Ben Hunt.. soon as I left to head out after that post of mine I realised I'd overlooked him... He'd actually be my top pick for 7 ... if he can string together some good seasons at the Dragons, and by then we've got the likes of Sullivan n Clune established in the halves.... they could take Norman and Hunt.... played together etc...

Re Norman - it's not been a case of any over-the-top issues for mine. A Scrap where he was defending a mate - alledgedly with racial elements, having a chinese meal that included bikers.... winning $25k or so on the pokies.... unless I'm missing something else?? I think his acquisition would add greater value if Hunt went along with him - with a few more seasons together under their belt...

Dylan Edwards is a pretty handy fella too.
I know most of normans under handed adventures here in the parramatta area, he has had a fair share of bad deeds, but there's a lot worse, along with more of him and segeyaro, footballers with too much time and too much money

Perth Red

Post Whore
May not be up to date but here's list of players off contract this year an dnext. Probably too late now for players off this year but youd think the new club is going to have to go hard with either players not wanted by other clubs (which could cost them in cap space) or these off contract 2022 players.

Players Off Contract 2021 – By Position | Zero Tackle

Players Off Contract 2022 – By Position | Zero Tackle

A possible and realistic salary cap squad from 2022 off contractors and couple of outliers returning to league. I know it goes against NRL philosophy and therefore probably no chance of it happening but Id give the new club 50% salary cap exemption on 5 players signed from outside the current NRL 30 man squads for 3 years to reduce weakening of current clubs.

1. Nico Hynes
2. Alex Johnston
3. George Jennings
4. Curtis Rona (Union)
5. Suliasi Vunivalu (Union)
6. Moses Mbye
7. George Williams (likely SL)
8. Alex Walmsley (SL)
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Jordon McLean
11. Jackson Topine
12. John Bateman (SL)
13. Brandon Smith

I reckon that's a pretty competitive and experienced side.

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
I’m sure you could pick up some bargain squad fillers from super league, hunters, silktails and both the NSW&queensland cup.

MugaB

Coach
Anyone got anymore lists, this thread started in May, and most of these players have been picked up by rival clubs already, nico hynes, adam reynolds, kurt capewell etc
Might see what happens next week November 1 deadline....
My money is on brandon smith

Colk

First Grade
Anyone got anymore lists, this thread started in May, and most of these players have been picked up by rival clubs already, nico hynes, adam reynolds, kurt capewell etc
Might see what happens next week November 1 deadline....
My money is on brandon smith

I think Brandon Smith and Cameron Munster are both big possibilities. I reckon they will get at least one of them. I know Kalyn Ponga is being talked about but I kind of hope he stays at the Knights as they were only recently in the doldrums. I kind of just hope that they get some talent from the bigger teams - I don’t we can afford more and more lopsided scores

Perth Red

Post Whore
Somebody on here argued blue in the face their squad was coming from Qlnd cup not NRL lol.

Cant see Storm letting munster go. Smith probable. Welch maybe though he is our pack leader for the future so we'll put up a fight to keep him. Ponga possible, Knights are still sht and losing Pearce wont help them and he wants to be in a winning team.
George Williams and Bateman have both said theyd return for the right offer so may be possible. Hodgson another possible of they dont land Smith.
Not sure who might be up for grabs from Souths the old fella might bring with him?

Colk

First Grade
I think if Munster wants to go, he’ll go. I know the Storm are good but I don’t think they can force him to stay. Also, didn’t they say he was also on his last chance. If the Dolphins come in with a million plus offer would they the Storm really go all in?

Hartwood

Juniors
If I were to make the best team possible out of off contract NRL players, I'd go with this:

1.Clinton Gutherson
2. Jamayne Isaako (gk)
3. Herbie Farnworth
4. Tom Opacic
5. Reimis Smith
6. Joseph Manu
7. Chanel Haris-Tavita
8. Junior Paulo
9. Api Koroisau
10. Christian Welch (c)
11. Isaiah Papali'i
12. Angus Crichton
13. John Asiata
14. Brandon Smith
15. Viliame Kikau
16. Patrick Carrigan
17. Corey Horsburgh

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think if Munster wants to go, he’ll go. I know the Storm are good but I don’t think they can force him to stay. Also, didn’t they say he was also on his last chance. If the Dolphins come in with a million plus offer would they the Storm really go all in?
Munster is storms best paid player, dolphins would have to better that. not impossible but it’s be a big chunk of money out the cap for them. Ponga, smith and Welch would be better value for a new club than say Munster and smith Who’d cost them the same.

MugaB

Coach
Munster is storms best paid player, dolphins would have to better that. not impossible but it’s be a big chunk of money out the cap for them. Ponga, smith and Welch would be better value for a new club than say Munster and smith Who’d cost them the same.
Id actually say Papenhauzen and Hughes are storms better players for the money they are on, Munster is exceptional but too hit and miss for the games he should be icing, even though Storm would want him to stay, they could do better with a cheaper 5/8th especially with the forward pack they have

Latest posts