What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Stagger eel

Staff member
Brown is a 5/8. The only other position If eel he may are it is centre.
Whats your word and opinion on Russel and Hollis. Where do you rate these guys?

Russell is the reason why im not feeling over stressed about signing a new winger, another off season with the NRL squad will be awesome for him and the club, great talent.

I don't particularly have a high opinion of Hollis but does have the ability to prove me wrong. interested to see how he goes in the trials.

hindy111

Post Whore
Russell is the reason why im not feeling over stressed about signing a new winger, another off season with the NRL squad will be awesome for him and the club, great talent.

I don't particularly have a high opinion of Hollis but does have the ability to prove me wrong. interested to see how he goes in the trials.

Do you think Russel can make it at fullback? And are there any other young players who may suprise?

I've seen Hollis a few times. He has a huge engine and moves well across park while defends well. Maybe needs a little more grunt and power to be an NRL player thou.
If he does make it I see him as an Alex Twal type.

hindy111

Post Whore
A rookie draft is a must.
It will be good for balance of talent.
It will create intrigue in the lower levels of the game.
RL needs to stop thinking it is smarter than other sports.
We should be smart enough to be followers.

I think to be fair to clubs would be they can elect their first choice as a keeper who isn't part of the draft and the rest go to thedraft. But only perhaps do a 16 or 32 at most player draft. And your club can only lose the 1 if 16 player draft or 2 if 32 players. Would keep a connection to juniors and clubs still.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Do you think Russel can make it at fullback? And are there any other young players who may suprise?

I've seen Hollis a few times. He has a huge engine and moves well across park while defends well. Maybe needs a little more grunt and power to be an NRL player thou.
Most of us thought Stefano was a bit of a plodder too. He's come on ok.

Last edited:

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Re the rookie draft; one young player cracks it and sits out the year cause he is made to go to Tigers from Redcliffe or vice versa and it's over.

Stagger eel

Staff member

if Sam Loziou can get his body right he could press for regular selection within 12-18 months.

lucablight

First Grade
All the exceptional fullbacks either have speed/power or a combination of both. Gutho has neither IMO. It’s a shame because he’s a smart player with a good passing game. If we lose him he’d be easier to replace than rheed. And if we lose him I honestly think Brown may make a very good supporting fullback. Speed around the middle to create opportunities.
Penrith won a comp with Dylan Edwards as their fullback. How is he better than Gutho in any way?

The Eel

Juniors
One club is adamant Parramatta’s Ryan Matterson has been talked about as being excess baggage at the Eels, while the same is being said of Canterbury’s Corey Allan and Kyle Flanagan.

However, all three might be a hard sell given they are all on good money and not exactly coming off the best of seasons.

Matterson is on close to $500,000 and has a worrying concussion history, and two of the clubs with money to spend on their salary cap for next season are the Tigers and Dragons.

Matterson had a fallout with Michael Maguire at the Tigers, while the backrower the Dragons are keen on is Matterson’s teammate Marata Niukore.

Regardless, Parramatta is facing a desperate fight to keep a number of players. Reed Mahoney has already been linked to Brisbane and Canterbury.

What makes Mahoney’s situation particularly interesting is that the in-demand dummy half’s agent is Sam Ayoub. He also looks after Clint Gutherson and Junior Paulo, who are off contract at the end of next season.

It is unlikely the Eels will get away with trying to lowball Ayoub on any of the three, like they were accused of doing last time Gutherson’s contract was being negotiated.

So far the two parties have vowed that they don’t want this to get ugly like it did last time, but time will be the judge on that.

The Eels captain is unlikely to want to even consider leaving Brad Arthur, but Gutherson is the type of player who could also be a good fit at Canterbury given the Bulldogs have only signed former Dragon Matt Dufty on a one-year deal.

That is crazy money for Matto imo

lucablight

First Grade
You need to re read my post. I said all the exceptional fullbacks. I don’t think I mentioned edwards or winning a Comp.
It’s still relevant. You don’t need to have that kind of fullback to win a competition as has been demonstrated. Gutherson is no nuffy. He played origin less than a season ago.

Latest posts