What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings

Abacus

Juniors
Lets just share the trophy around each year. Or abolish it and tell everyone they're winners just for having a go.

If shit clubs get their shit in order more good players will play there. Right now if I'm a young star like Xavier Coats I absolutely take less to play with Storm than Tigers. Win comps, get rep jerseys then when I'm on my last legs and Storm have the next me ready I go cash in at whoever is struggling and splashing cash as a desperate quick fix.
So the Tigers will get their man eventually?

Iamback

Coach
Lets just share the trophy around each year. Or abolish it and tell everyone they're winners just for having a go.

If shit clubs get their shit in order more good players will play there. Right now if I'm a young star like Xavier Coats I absolutely take less to play with Storm than Tigers. Win comps, get rep jerseys then when I'm on my last legs and Storm have the next me ready I go cash in at whoever is struggling and splashing cash as a desperate quick fix.
Draft would actually hinder a team improving.

Dragons are spoon favs. They won SG Ball last year imagine them now losing 3 or 4 of those kids to other clubs. They would take years to improve.

As a fan. I am taking the lean years if I can see a good future

mongoose

Coach

Dragons are spoon favs. They won SG Ball last year imagine them now losing 3 or 4 of those kids to other clubs. They would take years to improve.

and imagine if there was a draft and all those Panthers Juniors didn't get to play together in the same team? Gus Gould wouldn't be able to remind us of this every 5 minutes on the telecast.

nick87

Coach

That ignores the fact that under a draft system they'd have been getting quality talent in their team the last few years when they've sucked, so if they did their jobs well, they'd still have 3-4 really promising kids to build hope around from the last few years of sucking

Iamback

Coach
That ignores the fact that under a draft system they'd have been getting quality talent in their team the last few years when they've sucked, so if they did their jobs well, they'd still have 3-4 really promising kids to build hope around from the last few years of sucking

No guarantee that talent sticks around though. They do the 1st 2 or 3 years they have to then would hit the open market. More chance they do if they are locals or in a squad with mates

nick87

Coach
No guarantee that talent sticks around though. They do the 1st 2 or 3 years they have to then would hit the open market. More chance they do if they are locals or in a squad with mates
No guarantees the local talent sticks around either. You might think its more likely they do, but you can find a dozen cases for every club where the local kid has f**ked off too. If the local kids always stuck around, Melbourne would never win a game

The onus is on the club to build a team and culture that keeps talent in their locker room, be them local or not local

davi

Juniors
Dylan Napa looks like he could be headed to Super League. I'm generally surprised he couldn't find a NRL club if its the case. If Ryan James and Aaron Woods can find a spot. I would have thought Napa could being only 28.

I know Napa has made a couple mistakes off the field which may have played a role. Napa form hasn't be great the last couple of years either. But it's no coincidence its happen with the Bulldogs where constant losing can affect a players motivation and form.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Dylan Napa looks like he could be headed to Super League. I'm generally surprised he couldn't find a NRL club if its the case. If Ryan James and Aaron Woods can find a spot. I would have thought Napa could being only 28.

I know Napa has made a couple mistakes off the field which may have played a role. Napa form hasn't be great the last couple of years either. But it's no coincidence its happen with the Bulldogs where constant losing can affect a players motivation and form.

Averaged over 100m a game over 3 seasons (135m, 115m 2020, 105m 2021) when playing over 30 minutes.

As if every team has 4 props who make that many meters.
Wouldn’t be commanding big coin, can come on and do a job for 30 min as a 3rd or 4th prop.

Colk

First Grade
Im not sure i understand what you mean by Newcastle and Gold Coast, both are producing a great deal of junior talent, and have passed through the rough periods of their spoons from way back, when they stopped using their local juniors, and mainly recruited mercs, and mainly overpriced jarryd Haynes, joey Leiluas.
Knights had a core group of juniors coming through and eventually pairing up with Ponga/Pearce started to come good, as have Titans with all their juniors now flourishing... both made finals this year, so they aren't an example of just poor rosters, more about nursing rookies into 1st grade talent now flourishing, Saifiti bros, Fogaty, with a few key signings of Tino, Fafita, Ponga, Pearce, Frizell

I was referring to situations in their past (probably a couple of years ago for both)

I noticed that you mentioned that same period in your email and referred to their decisions as buying star players and neglecting their juniors as the reason for their lack of success: the reason why they did this was because they didn’t have the money to actually furnish junior development, not that they didn’t want to fund it.

That situation has changed somewhat since Titans have got a new owner and Wests in the Newcastle competition have bought the Knights. This will hopefully increase development in those areas. Nevertheless, it doesn’t negate the point I was making: why were the Knights and the Titans expected to develop junior talent when they were in such a perilous financial state? Wouldn’t it be better to not have junior development funding in Rugby League so dependent on clubs that can often be in very poor financial health?

MugaB

Coach
I was referring to situations in their past (probably a couple of years ago for both)

I noticed that you mentioned that same period in your email and referred to their decisions as buying star players and neglecting their juniors as the reason for their lack of success: the reason why they did this was because they didn’t have the money to actually furnish junior development, not that they didn’t want to fund it.

That situation has changed somewhat since Titans have got a new owner and Wests in the Newcastle competition have bought the Knights. This will hopefully increase development in those areas. Nevertheless, it doesn’t negate the point I was making: why were the Knights and the Titans expected to develop junior talent when they were in such a perilous financial state? Wouldn’t it be better to not have junior development funding in Rugby League so dependent on clubs that can often be in very poor financial health?
There's Clubs that can afford to buy mercs regulary (pawwa, easts, dogs) and have little need for junior development, mostly plucking them out of the areas of northetn rivers, to newcastle, better for the clubs that service that area for supporters keep the local rookies rather than lose them to the like of the roosters, i mean look at one example... what would the knights look like if Boyd Cordner played for the knights? Australian and Blues Captain.
Those days of clubs going under are gone, thats another reason why Todd Greenberg would say "club will have to sink or swim, no more bail outs" coz really when are thet going to go under now, half the budget of costs are cut, your not overpaying for promotions, wrestle coaches, salary cap for plsyers and coach staff paid for..
ARLC aren't losing brands no more, theyve made an outline budget for each club to adhere to, no more going under coz nathan tinkler bailed sort of stuff... i feel your looking for ways to even out the playing pool with bringing in an AFL style draft that is extremely against everything rugba leeg.

Colk

First Grade
I am actually not in favour of a draft or it wouldn’t be my preference. I think a draft has its positives, the biggest being the promotion of the comp; however there are also many negatives, particularly in the style of an AFL draft (it’s too simplistic and there is the dreaded tanking problem)

I do believe though that there needs to be something attached to the current salary cap. There is no other competition in the world that just has a salary cap because a salary cap in isolation doesn’t work. You have other nmechanisms in place; it could be nominal values, it could be a restriction on spending for outside recruitment, it could be something else entirely but you need an extra trigger to balance the competition because the trend over the past 10 or so years is going towards a European soccer style competition. There are plenty of people smarter than me who should be able to figure that out.

On the player/junior development all I’m saying is that the NRL or a body seperate to the clubs should fund it. All areas need to be considered equally important in terms of funding and production of talent and not be dictated to by how well the local leagues club is travelling.

Let the clubs concentrate on their core business and getting more money and support through membership, promotion and sponsorship