What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

betcats

Referee
if we are talking 500-600 maybe 650 then that’s fine by me but if it’s going to cost 700 plus for 3 years I’d be a little worried. He will be 30 this time next year and we’d be locked him to paying him a big chunk for 3 years after that.

Kilkenny

Coach
Reed Mahoney is a talented player no doubt but other than perhaps the new franchise would anyone seriously cough up $750k even if they had the funds. I’m not sure that sort of money is good business sense.

Kilkenny

Coach
if we are talking 500-600 maybe 650 then that’s fine by me but if it’s going to cost 700 plus for three years I’d be a little worried.
We weren’t prepared to take the risk on Kikau on a four year extension and I think the same risk benefit analysis applies equally to Api. I just don’t think a there year extension beyond his current deal makes good business sense. Two year extension, take it or leave it.

Crashtest

Juniors
Ten new signings for 2022 Matt DufTy, JAC, Naden, Burton, TPJ, Paul Vaughan, John Asiata, Brayden Burns, Max King and Joshua Cook. Some serious money there even if some are for 2022 only.

Kikau for four years from 2023 and you suggest they are going to add Reed Maloney to there roster for $750k a season.

The maths don’t add up and that doesn’t even take into account a few such as Luke Thompson, Jack, Averillo, Flanagan, Cotric, Corey Allen and Josh Jackson Again some of whom are on huge money.

There recruitment must be over, surely, another $750k for your hooker I don’t think so, it is just not possible.
The pressure and expectation to make substantial improvement will certainly be on Barrett next season. If he has another bad season, Gould will think he looks "tired" and not extend him for 2023 and beyond.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
The pressure and expectation to make substantial improvement will certainly be on Barrett next season. If he has another bad season, Gould will think he looks "tired" and not extend him for 2023 and beyond.
I can see dogs running into salary cap issues. Such a lot of players recently signed on big money.

You would imagine players like Flannagon, Cotric, Thompson being moved on with dogs paying the difference.

If they don't get moved on watch this space.

Kilkenny

Coach
I think Trent Barrett is much maligned and fans on here want him to fail.

I don’t have anything against Trent Barrett I actually think he is a really decent person. He can coach and given there recruitment for next season beyond he has a serious roster, more than capable of making the top eight, if not better.

Good luck to him.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I can see dogs running into salary cap issues. Such a lot of players recently signed on big money.

You would imagine players like Flannagon, Cotric, Thompson being moved on with dogs paying the difference.

We’ll take Thompson!

Even if they get moved on Canterbury will generally have to pay some freight, plus they will need to pick up a cheapie option to replace.

Offloading players is a skill; I have often thought moving DWZ on without having to pay anything was some of the best business we have done over the past few years!!

Debt Clock

Juniors
We weren’t prepared to take the risk on Kikau on a four year extension and I think the same risk benefit analysis applies equally to Api. I just don’t think a there year extension beyond his current deal makes good business sense. Two year extension, take it or leave it.
Maybe the club think they have a replacement for Kikau

I think Trent Barrett is much maligned and fans on here want him to fail.

I don’t have anything against Trent Barrett I actually think he is a really decent person. He can coach and given there recruitment for next season beyond he has a serious roster, more than capable of making the top eight, if not better.

Good luck to him.
Big challenge for Barrett will be keeping his pack away from the judiciary. Hetherington, Thompson and TPJ are all targets for the ref and all carry huge loading.

Black Magik

Juniors

Not sure how rep payments work with contracts (like including them) but yes, I agree they have to with the cattle they have bought in.

Kilkenny

Coach
Maybe the club think they have a replacement for Kikau
I’m sure we do.

It’s a business, we weren’t prepared to go to four years the Bulldogs were.

I don’t disagree with anything most have said around Kikau, he can flatter to deceive, but he can be a match winner and in his position they are a rare commodity.

Your point is valid though one would like to think the club are optimistic we can cover his loss from 2023.

Kilkenny

Coach
Big challenge for Barrett will be keeping his pack away from the judiciary. Hetherington, Thompson and TPJ are all targets for the ref and all carry huge loading.
Least of his worries. Any coach worth his salt will be doing everything to address those sort of issues. I have no doubt with the depth of players the Bulldogs have brought in they will be a serious challenger in 2022.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I’m sure we do.

It’s a business, we weren’t prepared to go to four years the Bulldogs were.

I don’t disagree with anything most have said around Kikau, he can flatter to deceive, but he can be a match winner and in his position they are a rare commodity.

Your point is valid though one would like to think the club are optimistic we can cover his loss from 2023.

According to Blade (I asked some weeks ago) there is a kid coming through, that MAY fit the bill. Blade rightly was unwilling to name him.