What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Seems that since the Dogs secured a Pub Magnate as chief sponsor, signing players doesn’t present a problem. Another club that has a multi millionaire involved with numerous businesses seems to be able to retain players on unders.

Dont expect any queries from the NRL, given the profiles of the important people at those clubs.
They've been cellar dwellers for years mate, they're entitled to some big signings without bringing out the conspiracy theories.

lucablight

First Grade
No it wouldn't ffs. Just because we lost one player to overs doesn't mean we should pay overs to others. We decide the players' price to us. If weaker clubs decide the player is more valuable to them we let the player go and replace him with the next prospect. Don't forget we made all these players (Niukore, Papali'i, Mahoney) who they are, not the other way around.
Do you think the reported amount that the Bulldogs paid at 650k over 4 years for a 23 year old spine player is overs? Are we swimming in elite hookers to the point where it’s not a vital position for us to cover?

84 Baby

Referee
Nope he f**ken plays 80 minutes every game now
Or if we do a 2018 start, he can sit out the season including training.
But seriously I think it’s no small indictment, losing at least 3 players (discounting Marata somewhat), on what was probably heavily sold as premiership chasing years, that they don’t believe we are close (or maybe they think we’re shoe-ins for 22!). But the flip side to that is those players would need to include themselves in the (lacking) quality calculation. But all that’s f**ken beside the point if we don’t replace them with people who DO put us closer to premiership

LOL!! MON the Scapegoat!!!!

It's f**king everyone at the club, from our whinging chairman who sooks to the press, to our dopey MIA CEO who writes emails instead of doing anything meaningful, the retention committee and of course our chase the collision coach who since being re-signed has lost more players than we've kept.

Who hires MON??? Who was happy to go with this strategic retention policy??? You can just blame him, who decided that lowballing our players was a good idea???
BRING BACK SPAGS!!!!!!

T-Boon

Coach
I am not pissed about where it leaves us in 2023 in regard to our hooker stocks and I have no problem with the club not matching the Dogs offer. My disappointment stems from the fact that we invested in Reed when the Dogs didn't want him and i honestly thought he would repay that faith.

That is a rookie mistake. The code should totally go to draft/free agency.

Chipmunk

Coach
I think losing Rheed, at just about the peak of his powers, is the first time I can remember losing a real good player we have developed from a teenager. <sad face>
Tim Smith was another, albeit under different circumstances.

I think Tim Smith is close to the saddest thing that happened to both the club and player probably in it's history. I suspect if the situation occurred today we would have provide Smith with much more assistance than we did back then.

Chipmunk

Coach
Or if we do a 2018 start, he can sit out the season including training.
But seriously I think it’s no small indictment, losing at least 3 players (discounting Marata somewhat), on what was probably heavily sold as premiership chasing years, that they don’t believe we are close (or maybe they think we’re shoe-ins for 22!). But the flip side to that is those players would need to include themselves in the (lacking) quality calculation. But all that’s f**ken beside the point if we don’t replace them with people who DO put us closer to premiership

They might think we're close, but in reality someone else thinks they're all worth at least $100k more a year than their current employer, to do essentially the exact same job, so you can't expect them to just hang around in hope.

hindy111

Post Whore
I am just going to say I still think Mahoney is questionable on what he will be.

He has had 4yrs in the NRL. Not much of a run game. Great and other areas. Bar 2021 he looked nothing more then solid. He has been in a great side and a lot of players look good.

2022 will be telling. If he goes backwards or not. Unlike Moses or RCG, JNR who have done it for years. You know they're quality. Some years are slightly better then others.

Lussick looked ok in our side and he is not an NRL standard hooker. Throw an average one in and they will look very good.

Dogs have signed some big names but bar Burton I reckon many have been made to look goodby their clubs.
Cotric,DWZ and Allen are good examples. Why did they go downhill so fast?

Kikau,JAC and Mahoney all will have some question marks. Of course they may end up a top 4 side but I'm not convinced.

I'd also say we knew the writing was on the wall when we went amd signed the kid for Newcastle and Penrith.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don’t even know what this means. If the goal is to win a premiership then there are are certain players you should keep? If the answer is yes then that literally means they are not replaceable. Unless you’re saying you can replace the entire team with reserve graders and still challenge for a title? If you’re pointing out that the club will continue to survive no matter who comes and goes then that goes without saying and you’re just offering meaningless platitudes.
Well we still have Mahoney (on unders since we're not extending him) for 2022. His cap space will be spent on other players (some of them also on unders because Arthur's is good at getting players to overperform). This is how we stay strong.

hindy111

Post Whore
Do you think the reported amount that the Bulldogs paid at 650k over 4 years for a 23 year old spine player is overs? Are we swimming in elite hookers to the point where it’s not a vital position for us to cover?

I don't think Rheeds played enough st 2021 level to suggest he will become a great hooker. As I said he is in a very good side and the best pack in the NRL. Many hookers would look good

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I don't think Rheeds played enough st 2021 level to suggest he will become a great hooker. As I said he is in a very good side and the best pack in the NRL. Many hookers would look good
Well it looks like we won’t have that pack in 2023 anyway. Apparently Junior is as good as gone as well. But but but Stability.