What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hybrideel

Bench
I have a feeling that with Arthurs style of game and having Moses as the dominant playmaker, the Eels just don't value the hooking role all that highly. They don't care too much about creativity in that position, more just a defensive line leader who can throw a long ball. If there is any dummy half running to be done, it's usually Gutho anyway. Due to that they have a limit on the amount they are willing to pay for the hooker position and Mahoney's offer from the dogs was way over it.
I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't fil the spot and went with Stone along with Rein or one of the young guys we picked up.
And on the subject of loyalty, if I remember correctly, before getting his last contract, Reed was on a train and trial for a while with us. He wasn't even signed to the fulltime squad until a couple of weeks before the season started when we had no other hooking options. We haven't exactly shown him the love

Chipmunk

Coach
Those guys will all run the ball 10-20 times a game. Mahoney might do it five times.

And they will make considerably less tackles than Mahoney. The game is roughly 50 per cent attack and 50 per cent defence last time I looked. The quality of your defence is more likely to be the reason you lose, rather than the quality of your attack being the reason you're likely to win.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Ask Raiders fans what they think of him, look up all the stats you like but they wanted him gone. He overplayed his hand constantly and with the new game it’s all about quick service, getting the all into the hands of your halves as quick as possible and running from dummy half. They looked a better team with Starling at dummy half.
Posted stats to just show your claim he was busted / shot is not exactly correct…….

off course he may have overplayed his hand occasionally, it’s not like the rest of the Raiders spine are elite or even above average “play makers”……

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Posted stats to just show your claim he was busted / shot is not exactly correct…….

off course he may have overplayed his hand occasionally, it’s not like the rest of the Raiders spine are elite or even above average “play makers”……
His best days are well past him and he is on crazy money, the game has changed and his game is unsuited going forward. If it was 2019 it wouldn’t even be a question but he is nowhere near the player he was then and are you willing to pay a heap of cash just to see if he is still able to reach those heights??? We would of been better off treating our current dummy half some respect and offer him a fair deal straight off the bat.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
His best days are well past him and he is on crazy money, the game has changed and his game is unsuited going forward. If it was 2019 it wouldn’t even be a question but he is nowhere near the player he was then and are you willing to pay a heap of cash just to see if he is still able to reach those heights??? We would of been better off treating our current dummy half some respect and offer him a fair deal straight off the bat.
Agree his best days are over, but still has plenty to offer

Agree he is on stupid money, but at certain amount he wouId offer plenty to our side (anyhow appears Raiders want to keep him and not chip in anything if he left)

Dispute we didn’t treat Mahoney with respect (and I am disappointed he left and have posted he was our most important re-signing).

Chipmunk

Coach
We shouldn’t be letting Papa / Marata / Mahoney leave in 2022.

However what if we offered Mahoney to the dogs for a Cotric swap. Cotric wouId be on a lot more then Mahoney, but dogs pick up the difference and some of his 2023 contract…..

We then pick up Hodgson from the Raiders for 2 years (Raiders wouId need to cover some of his contract). It gives us 2 years to find a hooker. Plus Hodgson can play a ball playing lock role to, which has been important under the new rules.

I know it sounds stupid, but our side lacks a bit of “smarts” in the spine ….and a old warrior like Hodgson is probably what we need. Look at what Ennis did for the Sharks when they won the comp. a lot doubted the signing but it ended being great and a big factor in them winning the comp…

additionally we get an origin quality back…and a lot of experience…
I don't think this is the worst suggestion I've heard.

Ck9

Juniors
Coming home my arse. These players have been offered alot more money and that’s it. There is no coming home shit.
as somebody who personally knows felise and his family, he took less money to go back to qld. he had bigger offers on the table in sydney that he had no interest in.

Avenger

Immortal
I have a feeling that with Arthurs style of game and having Moses as the dominant playmaker, the Eels just don't value the hooking role all that highly. They don't care too much about creativity in that position, more just a defensive line leader who can throw a long ball. If there is any dummy half running to be done, it's usually Gutho anyway. Due to that they have a limit on the amount they are willing to pay for the hooker position and Mahoney's offer from the dogs was way over it.
I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't fil the spot and went with Stone along with Rein or one of the young guys we picked up.
And on the subject of loyalty, if I remember correctly, before getting his last contract, Reed was on a train and trial for a while with us. He wasn't even signed to the fulltime squad until a couple of weeks before the season started when we had no other hooking options. We haven't exactly shown him the love
Very good post. I think people are forgetting how effective Mitch Rein is and how tough he can be. He is a very astute signing and will do a job for us in 2022 seeing that Mahoney is still recovering from major shoulder surgery. I watched some recent videos with him at the Titans and he was impressive and even at age 31 probably still quicker than Mahoney at dummy half.

People like to put shit on Ray Stone but he is probably one of my favourite players at Parra. Tough, hits hard in defence with good pace/step for a forward. I still remember the try he scored when he stood up the fullback at Bankwest Stadium to score under the posts.

I’m tipping him for a breakout season next year where he will show why he was a former rep player at schoolboy level.

Also don’t underestimate Curtis Scott if he gets a chance to reignite his career. You don’t get $700k contracts if you can’t play. He will make that Slovenian merkin look second rate especially in attack.

Glenneel

Bench
He should go, if that’s the case!!
My worry about Mahoney has been confirmed, feels likely to me that Junior will follow and join another club as well. The heart of our roster is being ripped out.

The only saving grace here for me is that we didn't get past week 2 of the finals with this roster and the new faces coming in may be better in the future. Also believe need a complete clean out of the coaches before we can win the big one.

Its very exciting!

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Not sure that’s got anything to do with loyalty, he was a 20’s player and we aren’t a charity offering anyone a full time contract…

We gave him that opportunity, as the club was unsure if he was going to be an NRL. And 15 other clubs agreed with that assessment as none of them offered him a full time NRL contract….

So really we were the only NRL club that showed him some “love”, first picking him up when the dogs let him go and then giving him an opportunity…..

Glenneel

Bench
Not happy about losing Mahoney and the other 2 but......

2023 is a fair way off and we gotta get through 2022 yet.
Think it'll be 4 but my big worry is if the 4 players will have their minds on the job next year which could be a complete waste, but I hope I'm completely wrong.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Very good post. I think people are forgetting how effective Mitch Rein is and how tough he can be. He is a very astute signing and will do a job for us in 2022 seeing that Mahoney is still recovering from major shoulder surgery. I watched some recent videos with him at the Titans and he was impressive and even at age 31 probably still quicker than Mahoney at dummy half.

People like to put shit on Ray Stone but he is probably one of my favourite players at Parra. Tough, hits hard in defence with good pace/step for a forward. I still remember the try he scored when he stood up the fullback at Bankwest Stadium to score under the posts.

I’m tipping him for a breakout season next year where he will show why he was a former rep player at schoolboy level.

Also don’t underestimate Curtis Scott if he gets a chance to reignite his career. You don’t get $700k contracts if you can’t play. He will make that Slovenian merkin look second rate especially in attack.
And that’s another option keeping Rein for 2023 and easing in one of the 3 hooker rookies we have in squad from the bench…..

IFR33K

Coach

Ray stone hits in defense but what else does he have? Too small and not talented enough to be anything other than a fringe first grader. As for opacic he’s one average player. May read the defense well but has zero attack.