What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

possm

Coach
Just saying one club looks to sign one of the worlds best players in their position and we are happy to sign journeymen even though I do think Woods will do well for us.
I'd say Molo, Woods, and Burgess are great buys and will stiffen up our soft belly prop rotation.

Hunt at hooker and Sullivan at halfback would really liven up our spine.

On their day, Sims, Su'A, and De Belin would have to be one of the best back-row combinations in the NRL.

Lomax and Suli are up with all the top centres in the NRL.

Ravalawa, Matt Feagai, Ramsey and Mogga are all quality wingers.

We have a good roster for 2022.

slippery5

Juniors
Anyone that thinks he hasn’t moved for the money is a moron. And if you believe reported salaries or suggested playing for unders, your further kidding yourself.

99 percent of these decisions are taken with finance and setting up the future in mind. He was after a massive payday, and anything his prewritten conferences say is just fluff and garbage, or stupidity when they aren’t prearranged.
Not to mention right next door to Fox studios for a regular coin slot.

Trifili13

Juniors
I have always thought that all players should be contracted to the NRL and clubs then rent the players from the NRL on a two-year deal. Instead of a salary cap, clubs have a rent cap.

All player payments are made to players by the NRL through their managers. Players can be self-managed if they wish.
You still have the issue of which club rents which player. If the NRL decides which player goes to a club, I am sure you will run into some sort of employment law issue by being forced to play for a club that you don't want to play for. You will also have clubs screaming that the NRL is looking after some clubs better than others.

If you have clubs bidding for players, whose to say they have not done secret deals with the players or their managers/relatives.

possm

Coach
You still have the issue of which club rents which player. If the NRL decides which player goes to a club, I am sure you will run into some sort of employment law issue by being forced to play for a club that you don't want to play for. You will also have clubs screaming that the NRL is looking after some clubs better than others.

If you have clubs bidding for players, whose to say they have not done secret deals with the players or their managers/relatives.
Clubs would bid for players and yes, there is the possibility of some paper bag activity still. However, along with some stiff deterrents for flouting the rules, it could be a step in the right direction.

SnowDragon

Juniors
I have always thought that all players should be contracted to the NRL and clubs then rent the players from the NRL on a two-year deal. Instead of a salary cap, clubs have a rent cap.

All player payments are made to players by the NRL through their managers. Players can be self-managed if they wish.
Interesting idea. if the NRL is the employer, then they can in theory more Easily control salaries etc. (well maybe not, brown paper bags and all). They can also more easily and credibly apply sanctions etc. also, easier to implement a draft etc. NRL wouldn’t do so though, keeping things at arms length gives them the best of both worlds.

Trifili13

Juniors
Clubs would bid for players and yes, there is the possibility of some paper bag activity still. However, along with some stiff deterrents for flouting the rules, it could be a step in the right direction.
Clubs bidding for players is basically what we have now. Having the NRL "owning" the players only adds administrative costs, potential calls of bias towards some clubs. I know in some sports in America player wages are made public. Can't see it happening here so while clubs would bid for players, unless the bids are made public (can't see it happening), who knows if say the Dragon's outbid someone but did not end up getting the player or the NRL tells a team what the Dragon's have bid so they know what they have to pay.

They issue is trying to distribute the talent and getting rid of secret payments. You say there should be stiff deterrents but they are already in n place now to deter payments outside the cap but we all know how hard it is to police them.

I am sure there are smarter people than me out there but can't see any other way to stop under the table payments and at the same time distribute the talent without some sort of player points system and/or draft.

Anyway, good to have such discussions.

SGMax

Juniors
For years I have been proposing a system where the NRL places a value on every player for salary cap purposes.
This is along the same line as a points system but with $$....I think its easier with dollars.

It would be OK for clubs to pay extra or give 3rd party payments as long as the cap value is realistic.
They will get first choice but not every choice as the cap funds would still be depleted and all clubs will have the same cap limitations.
e.g. if Tedesco is valued at $1.1 mil then all clubs negotiating know that is how much he will take from their cap.
They can pay extra if desperate to get him or pay unders if they can guarantee success...but still, $1.1 mil off their cap.

At least this way the salary cap can be monitored and policed more fairly, players not stopped from earning more, and clubs will not be disadvantaged due to geographical, financial, or junior nursery factors...etc.

Trifili13

Juniors
For years I have been proposing a system where the NRL places a value on every player for salary cap purposes.
This is along the same line as a points system but with $$....I think its easier with dollars.

It would be OK for clubs to pay extra or give 3rd party payments as long as the cap value is realistic.
They will get first choice but not every choice as the cap funds would still be depleted and all clubs will have the same cap limitations.
e.g. if Tedesco is valued at $1.1 mil then all clubs negotiating know that is how much he will take from their cap.
They can pay extra if desperate to get him or pay unders if they can guarantee success...but still, $1.1 mil off their cap.

At least this way the salary cap can be monitored and policed more fairly, players not stopped from earning more, and clubs will not be disadvantaged due to geographical, financial, or junior nursery factors...etc.
Agree SGMax, $ value works as well.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but don't players already have some minimum value to stop clubs paying ridiculous unders on the books and the rest under the table?

denis preston

First Grade
Just saying one club looks to sign one of the worlds best players in their position and we are happy to sign journeymen even though I do think Woods will do well for usas

Just saying one club looks to sign one of the worlds best players in their position and we are happy to sign journeymen even though I do think Woods will do well for us.
As well as Molo, Sua, Suli, Burgess & Mbye.

denis preston

First Grade

So in theory, if the NRL valued players by points or dollars , what is to stop the Rorters exceeding the points or dollars and say the players were valued at that but played for less ? Does the NRL say bad luck and you cop the full value ? I guess things are clearer with this but cant see the boys club accepting it.

Dragon David

First Grade
So in theory, if the NRL valued players by points or dollars , what is to stop the Rorters exceeding the points or dollars and say the players were valued at that but played for less ? Does the NRL say bad luck and you cop the full value ? I guess things are clearer with this but cant see the boys club accepting it.
The "boys club" have the saying - "when you are on a good thing, stick to it". Having an even playing field as far as the likes of the Roosters are concerned is making sure that the ground surface is 100% flat. They have worked extremely hard to get to this stage of their position as a club being "run" efficiently and successfully than what it used to decades ago now under the guidance and control of successful business men and negotiators who know how to win a decent player to the club and they just have an overall winning formula. The Morris brothers can also vouch for this.

As I've said before, they do not want to be in the bottom 8 ever again and that is why they will not bend to any changes to make the competition fairer.

SGMax

Juniors

The NRL would set the value and monitor the caps for each club (much as they do now) but with their valuations.
Doesn't matter if they play for less, the valuation is what is counted off the cap and its the same value for all clubs.
Sooner or later the cap fills with players at the agreed valuations rather than discounted rates that some clubs announce.
It used to be that most clubs had no more than 3 rep players in their squad.
These days, a few clubs have an unending pool of talent and I don't accept that its because they are well run.

jak

Bench
The "boys club" have the saying - "when you are on a good thing, stick to it". Having an even playing field as far as the likes of the Roosters are concerned is making sure that the ground surface is 100% flat. They have worked extremely hard to get to this stage of their position as a club being "run" efficiently and successfully than what it used to decades ago now under the guidance and control of successful business men and negotiators who know how to win a decent player to the club and they just have an overall winning formula. The Morris brothers can also vouch for this.

As I've said before, they do not want to be in the bottom 8 ever again and that is why they will not bend to any changes to make the competition fairer.

out of all the clubs at the time of the 13 import rule the chooks were the team loudest against it.

Gareth67

First Grade
I'd say Molo, Woods, and Burgess are great buys and will stiffen up our soft belly prop rotation.

Hunt at hooker and Sullivan at halfback would really liven up our spine.

On their day, Sims, Su'A, and De Belin would have to be one of the best back-row combinations in the NRL.

Lomax and Suli are up with all the top centres in the NRL.

Ravalawa, Matt Feagai, Ramsey and Mogga are all quality wingers.

We have a good roster for 2022.
Good post pos ! 👍🏻

Gareth67

First Grade
Forgot about Ronnie Jones as Politis seemed to be there forever , but that chap had his wits about him .

Done a lot of the hard spade work to get the the tri-colors their first big name signings in many a year .

Dragged them of the bottom of the competition ladder and upwards and they have never looked back since , more so once the baton was passed on to Uncle Nick .

I am so damn envious of them . 😢

Latest posts