What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

emjaycee

Coach
I don't disagree - but it's the truth, isn't it?

We have Rein we can rely on, but until we sign another hooker, we have Stone to fill in for Mahoney.

Obviously, it's a big dip in quality - but I'd wager that because Stone is nor a natural dummy-half, if he were to become our 9, our gameplan would boil down to much, much more simple bash and barge tactics, and to allow Moses and Gutherson to create.

Besides - word has it we are looking at Verrills for 2023, who is a good young prospect.

We still have Mahoney for 2022.

Is the club making some interesting choices?

Sure.

But I say we wait to see what fruit these choices bear, before burning them all at the stake.
In 2022 don't we have the following 9's (in order of preference) Mahoney/Rein/Hands?

So in 2023 we either sign someone like Verrills to step into Mahoney's spot as our number 1 dummy-half and/or we offer an extension to Rein if he does ok in 2022. Either way, Hands will debut for sure in 2022 I reckon because the club will want to see how he handles first grade before 2023.

Stone is probably fourth choice just like he was this year.

Pazza

First Grade
But it wasn't as if Papali'i came to us as the reigning second-rower of the year, nor was he a desired signing for clubs. He came in with a good attitude and we gave him the right environment to flourish. We've got a few young forwards currently training with the first grade squad, if they're willing to put in the effort there's opportunities for them to flourish like Papali'i has done.

No doubt

Plenty of players have come to parra for a chance and done really well. But along with manu mau, papalii has been the best one. Horrible to think we only get two seasons. We got six out of manu.

hindy111

Post Whore
Why don't you ask the club?

Last time I checked, Penrith lost far more quality than we have - Koirosau, Kikau, and Burton are all better players than anyone we have lost. Are they slitting their wrists?

You may not like the club's strategy, and the fine - but only time will tell if it was the right approach.

True but let's be honest. They've made back to back grand finals and won one. And they seem to produce juniors like its going out of fashion. Yes we talk about our new set up but untill I see the production line I am not sold.

hindy111

Post Whore
They also lost Koirosau, Burton, Kikau, and May*.

Yeo is solid - nothing more. Kikau is a more dynamic player than him.

Ditto Leota - solid.

They re-signed some of their stars, but they also lost plenty of talent. They're not slitting their wrists.

Mind you - they just won a Premiership, so that probably makes things easier to digest...

Yeo is the best lock in the game. Better then solid.

hindy111

Post Whore
In 2022 don't we have the following 9's (in order of preference) Mahoney/Rein/Hands?

So in 2023 we either sign someone like Verrills to step into Mahoney's spot as our number 1 dummy-half and/or we offer an extension to Rein if he does ok in 2022. Either way, Hands will debut for sure in 2022 I reckon because the club will want to see how he handles first grade before 2023.

Stone is probably fourth choice just like he was this year.

Stone has bulked up. He looks like a rock. I reckon he will have a good season. Needs to be given a position and stick to it.

hindy111

Post Whore
But it wasn't as if Papali'i came to us as the reigning second-rower of the year, nor was he a desired signing for clubs. He came in with a good attitude and we gave him the right environment to flourish. We've got a few young forwards currently training with the first grade squad, if they're willing to put in the effort there's opportunities for them to flourish like Papali'i has done.

When we signed him I red the warriors forum and even asked a few questions about him.
They said he is solid but to small to ever be a great forward. A good back up or bench player.

hindy111

Post Whore
We are going to have what looks a strong squad for 2022.
We have nonidea what our 2023 side looks like being a lotmofmpositions vacant. Unsure why people are judging the club and coaching staff right now. It seems very silly to me. Atleast give them a chance to put their side together.

Reality is we also have no idea what players may come up from within. Russel may step up and become a big part of our backline. All of a sudden our 1-7 would look very good.

Guth,Russel,Penisni,Blake,Dunster,Moses,Brown

We also would have RCG so our first 8 positions are sorted.
We would have a great halfback and an exciting backline. Then we rebuild the pack.

King-Gutho94

Coach
When we signed him I red the warriors forum and even asked a few questions about him.
They said he is solid but to small to ever be a great forward. A good back up or bench player.
Warriors players are tough one to judge i reckon especially the kiwi players. Plenty of untapped talent there i dont think we realise.

As most kiwi forwards actuallly seem to flourish at Australian clubs.

SST couldn't get a game over there went to chooks became JWH partner in crime and become a great front rower. Papali'i and niukore were in the warriors system and struggled yet done well here.

Tohu harris hasnt been the same player after leaving Melbourne. Would Fisher-Harris have the career he had at penrith so far if he was at the warriors.

Is it the warriors system or a comfort zone thing where these players are too comfortable playing in Auckland. Maybe too many distractions with friends over there.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Settle pettle, take a joke. We all know you are on the Parramatta payroll and that’s fine but don’t be sooking when others aren’t drinking the cool aid.

And other site?? I don’t post on the TCT lovefest.

tough boy posting crap about a 16 year old!!

Last edited by a moderator:

parra pete

Referee

Captaincy, comps and contracts – Clint Gutherson breaks down his future at Parramatta​

FOXSPORTS01:35

NRL consider implementing transfer window​

• EXCLUSIVE

DAVID RICCIO

CHIEF SPORTS WRIT
    authors
  • authors
Clint Gutherson says he was never going to quit Parramatta – still driven to become the club’s first premiership-winning captain in 36-years.
The Eels’ influential fullback has also revealed the club’s trio of departing players – Reed Mahoney, Marata Niukore and Isaiah Papali’i – gave a speech to the playing group on Wednesday outlining their desire to leave with a 2022 grand final ring.
All three players reaffirmed their commitment to seeing out the remaining 12-months of their contracts.

Gutherson, 27, signed a new four-year deal with Parramatta last month that will tie him to the club until the end of the 2025 season.​

Parramatta Eels captain Clint Gutherson wants to be the man to break the premiership drought at the club. Picture: Dan Peled/Getty Images
The loss of Mahoney, Niukore and Papali’i, in-concert with the club’s failure to lockdown their captain prior to November 1 – the point at which Gutherson could field offers from rival clubs – led to widespread scrutiny directed at Eels management from fans and commentators.
The club’s negotiation skills continues to field heat with key forward Junior Paulo yet to be re-signed.
However, in his first interview since inking his own new deal, Gutherson explained why his process took longer than desired.
“I wanted to stay. I always said that,” Gutherson said.
“I didn’t want it to drag out, I wanted it done before I got back to training.
“These things take time to fit exactly where the player and club want to be.
Reed Mahoney spoke to the player group about his departure. Picture: Ashley Feder/Getty Images
“I’m really happy to be staying for another few years and to lead this club into what I know will be a good period.
“We’ve all got one goal and I’m going out there every single day to try and better myself to be there on grand final day when it comes.
“Over the last five years I feel I’ve really grown as a player and a leader and if I continue to do that over the next few years here, we’re going to be in a very good spot.’’
Gutherson declined to discuss Paulo‘s current contract situation, however he felt there was a silver lining from the emotional decision by Mahoney, Niukore and Papali’i to leave the club.
“It’s disappointing to see players go, but the best teams get their players taken,’’ Gutherson said.
“Those boys have done a wonderful job up to this stage.
“There’s still one more year to go for them and they’re all fully committed.
“They told us their decision before it was out in the media what they were doing.
“They spoke on Wednesday about where they want to be and how they want to leave this club.
“We’ve had a big emphasis on leaving that jersey in a better position and making sure the next person who wears it knows they have to play well.
“The players leaving know they will be doing that.
Clinton Gutherson declined to talk about the contractual situation of star prop Junior Paulo. Picture: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images
“We’re all grown men, you’ve got to be able to move with it.
“They’re a big part of this group.
“We’re looking forward to it. You can squeeze every little ounce out of them.’’
Gutherson returned to pre-season training on Monday.
One of the fiercest competitors in the NRL, the 139-game player admits the heartache of losing 8-6 to Penrith during the 2021 semi finals still stings.
“We were so close to winning, there were probably two or three plays where we could’ve won it,’’ Gutherson said.
“You work so hard for so many months to put yourself in that position with five minutes to go … that’s what stung the most.
“I hate losing, more than I like winning.
“We believe in ourselves. We have largely the same squad as last season.
“And those finals games lit something in us all.”

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
No doubt

Plenty of players have come to parra for a chance and done really well. But along with manu mau, papalii has been the best one. Horrible to think we only get two seasons. We got six out of manu.

Unfortunately the tigers needed him more than we did. But we've seen what Papali'i plays like in a poor team. Or he could change it around and 2021 was just the start of his rise

Avenger

Immortal
I just cant stand this little shit anymore and hope he loses his spot to Rein in 2022. Just f**k off already. The rest I can deal with. Even Paulo if he decides to go. I always suspected (Paulo) was a bit of a peanut too.

1d743d3fb61a90dc24d654c1692f2e57

hineyrulz

Post Whore
tough boy posting crap about a 16 year old!!
And posting shit about a 16 yr old?? I just said he’ll be fast tracked just like his brother and won’t be far away just like his brother. He could be there next Cameron Smith or Mart Keating either way he’ll be fast tracked. Hardly posting shit about him!!!!

Here’s some more exclamation marks !!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: