What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Emerging Blues

Frenzy.

Immortal
I'd bet money on Ronnie being a 10 year shark if we wanted to keep him for 10 years.

I would like him to be but I wouldn't bet money on any footballer staying put for long period of time.

He'll play for New Zealand in the World Cup in 2022 and his worth goes up. There will be vultures, hyenas and coyotes all sniffing around

Last edited:
I would like him to be but I wouldn't bet money on any footballer stying put for long period of time.

He'll play for New Zealand in the World Cup in 2022 and his worth goes up. There will be vultures, hyenas and coyotes all sniffing around
All too true. Maybe this is where NRL needs to step in to help protect the identity, integrity, tribal nature of individual clubs to set rugby league apart from other sports.
Ronnie has been huge part of sharks culture and identity,on field AND off for last couple of yes.Surely that is worth continuing for the sport in general,.

ghoti

Bench
All too true. Maybe this is where NRL needs to step in to help protect the identity, integrity, tribal nature of individual clubs to set rugby league apart from other sports.
Ronnie has been huge part of sharks culture and identity,on field AND off for last couple of yes.Surely that is worth continuing for the sport in general,.
The RLPA is tabling a proposal for rewarding clubs developing players next year, dunno how they're gonna word it or how that works in practice, but it's somethin.. would definitely like to see an incentive for someone like Ronnie who has organically become an out and out face of the Sharks just by effort and hard work, though how do you put that in writing? I'd call it 'the good guy hard worker looks good in a club polo at charity events' clause

Tiger Shark

Bench
The RLPA is tabling a proposal for rewarding clubs developing players next year, dunno how they're gonna word it or how that works in practice, but it's somethin.. would definitely like to see an incentive for someone like Ronnie who has organically become an out and out face of the Sharks just by effort and hard work, though how do you put that in writing? I'd call it 'the good guy hard worker looks good in a club polo at charity events' clause
I'm assuming you get a cap discount if a player has come through all grades, or been in your system for n number of years prior to first grade.

Maybe said player is on 400k, perhaps only 300k is on the cap, or a 25% reduction.

We'd have a few potentially and depending on the rules -

Kennedy
Katoa
Ronaldo
Trindall
Wilton
Brailey
Pele
Nikora
Jensen

R-15-3

Juniors
I like it but I’d cap it at $50k a year per player and maybe $100k in year 10+

Tiger Shark

Bench
I like it but I’d cap it at $50k a year per player and maybe $100k in year 10+
Might not be enough to keep some players though.

If a gun player is being offered 800k by another club and his current club can offer 850k with 50k off the books hes likely still inclined to go to the other club if theres greater chances of being successful, playing rep footy or better TPAs.

Needs to be more imo

Frenzy.

Immortal
I'm assuming you get a cap discount if a player has come through all grades, or been in your system for n number of years prior to first grade.

Maybe said player is on 400k, perhaps only 300k is on the cap, or a 25% reduction.

We'd have a few potentially and depending on the rules -

Kennedy
Katoa
Ronaldo
Trindall
Wilton
Brailey
Pele
Nikora
Jensen

As it stands now it's like this

$0.2 million – Veteran and Developed Player Allowance for eligible players who were either developed by the Club prior to becoming NRL players and / or have been a Top 30 player for at least 8 years at the Club or have been a Top 30 player for at least 10 years across the game

So the existing allowance would give the 8 in the above list $25,000 each leaving nothing for the veteran players. I think we only have Wade and I didn't count Taumoepeau as he hasn't played yet in the NRL

It's going to be a big ask for the RLPA to get $100k for qualifies players.

Latest posts