What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gazzamatta

Coach
Yep. Calls it as he sees it, isn’t biased and doesn’t see things thru blue and gold glasses. Gets called out for poor grammar by some, but I have no idea what that has to do with footy or a footy forum. Especially when some of the middle aged clowns continually calling him out, are obsessed with footy players that’ll actually have poorer grammar than 111.
Is middle aged 36 to 42ish? I guess that counts me out.
Shhhhh. Dont tell him but I enjoy Hindys posts also although we definitely need more contributions from Mik.

TheRam

Coach
The thing is, he was Jeff Robson 2. The problem for that prediction was that he was comparing a teenager with a bloke who had played over 170 NRL games. If you're that good at 19 you'll probably be great at 24. Yong players improve, and the younger they are the more improvement they generally have in them.

Typical Pou statement, almost sounds right but is totally wrong.

Whoever compared Cleary to Robson back then was a goose and had no idea. When judging those two one could see the difference in the overall pedigree, stature, poise, calm assurity and cool head control that Cleary carried himself with from the very start.

Robson on the other hand within a handful of 1st grade games you could see all his strengths and weaknesses and never felt that he would be anything else other then a average playmaker even after 170 NRL games.

Also some players are average Robson type players when the debut and never really improve all that much really other then if they stick around long enough become a little more consistent and NRL savvy that affords them to look equal or better then their younger opponents who are still coming to grips with the NRL. Just like Robson did.

Cleary was and always looked like an ice cold and calculating half that just needed time and patience to get his game to the next level. Many of us could see this, but many of us could not as well and kept putting the boot in for their own reasons. Typical sports fan stuff really.

You though pou, weren't putting the boot in, you genuinely don't have a clue.

Stop relying so much on your stats and analysis and watch the game and player and get a feel for what is happening. Then add the stats mate. You might then get it right a little more often.

TheRam

Coach
His kicking game was always awesome. He was kicking clutch game winning field goals at age 19 and controlling games. He was always a far better athlete then Jeff Robson also. Faster and more dynamic. It was a silly comparison by a silly man.

Spot on Hindy. Some people are just plain dumb and @Poupou Escobar then comes in over the top and carries water for them. I suppose he couldn't help it. We all know he gets a massive tepee in his pants at the mere mention of mediocrity.

Cat nip for the guy really.

hindy111

Post Whore
hindy111's footy knowledge gets overlooked on here cos he also enjoys a good joke and a laugh, but he is easily one of the most broadly knowledgable on here and far less one eyed than most

It's the off-season. I don't mean to offend people with jokes. And I do give Twizzle and Gronk a hard time but I think they enjoy it otherwise would reign it in. Keeps them on their toes.

hindy111

Post Whore
You can always see talent Ram.
Penisni as soon as he debut you could see a star of the future. He had power,agility,footwork and lacked fear to attempt a flick pass or take on a defender.
I called Papali'i after one game to be signed long term. I've never seen a debut like that. I don't care who it was against. We where down and beaten and he changed the game.

I am not fussed on Marata or Mahoney. Both are overated and just in a very strong side. Most of our better performances last season was when Mahoney was out.

I look forward to seeing a few more players blooded this season. I watched some highlights on this Morretti kid Ram and gee he looks a player.

TheRam

Coach
Cleary only just turned 24.
By age 23 he had a premiership a grand final loss and won multiple origin series. Amazing player.

Moses I think has a more exciting game and if both played at their best I might even say Moses is better. But the issue is consistency. Moses will do 3 or 4 good things then something silly and can lose composure. I think it 2021 he was far more composed and if he can stay consistent he can be the best half in the game. His running game is superior to Clearys and so is his passing. Just game management and kicking id give nod to Nathan. He steers the team around better.

Spot on Hindy, but I even though Moses running game is better then Cleary's at present, I feel that this is the part of Cleary's game that he can improve on quite a bit if he chose to. He is big and powerful with decent speed for a half. If he chose to run more I feel he would have a lot more success and at the very least would equal Moses's running game at present. But Moses is more dynamic and faster though.

TheRam

Coach
Yep. Calls it as he sees it, isn’t biased and doesn’t see things thru blue and gold glasses. Gets called out for poor grammar by some, but I have no idea what that has to do with footy or a footy forum. Especially when some of the middle aged clowns continually calling him out, are obsessed with footy players that’ll actually have poorer grammar than 111.

Hey take it easy there fella, you got your tongue firmly planted up my boys clacker. He's my mate!

84 Baby

Referee
I reckon the general plan is for Rodwell and Moretti to become our bench combo-forwards (not quite big boppers but not edge forwards either). Similar to Papali’i/Niukore. Except they need a lot of improvement to even glimpse that level. Especially by 2023

TheRam

Coach
You can always see talent Ram.
Penisni as soon as he debut you could see a star of the future. He had power,agility,footwork and lacked fear to attempt a flick pass or take on a defender.
I called Papali'i after one game to be signed long term. I've never seen a debut like that. I don't care who it was against. We where down and beaten and he changed the game.

I am not fussed on Marata or Mahoney. Both are overated and just in a very strong side. Most of our better performances last season was when Mahoney was out.

I look forward to seeing a few more players blooded this season. I watched some highlights on this Morretti kid Ram and gee he looks a player.

Agreed. Marata's versatility is what we lose when he goes. He can cover so well during unexpected injuries. As for Mahoney, the way he plays the game and his small stature will probably be his undoing. Making the amount of tackles that he does every game is going to eventually take their toll, otherwise he has a hell of a lot of improving in him still. If the Dogs play him the same way we do, then I expect many more injuries and eventually they will compromise his playing style and capability.

If the dogs can hide him better then we do and have him average his tackle count around the 30ish amount as to what the 40-50ish that he is doing at Parra, then he should be able to improve and further his attacking game and be quite the player.

Having said all that, I feel we will eventually be right for a dummy half replacement. We have a few promising youngsters that could end up the players too.

I'll check out this Morretti kid, I'm sure he is quality since you like him mate. You are rarely wrong if ever. Cheers mate.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Typical Pou statement, almost sounds right but is totally wrong.

Whoever compared Cleary to Robson back then was a goose and had no idea. When judging those two one could see the difference in the overall pedigree, stature, poise, calm assurity and cool head control that Cleary carried himself with from the very start.

Robson on the other hand within a handful of 1st grade games you could see all his strengths and weaknesses and never felt that he would be anything else other then a average playmaker even after 170 NRL games.

Also some players are average Robson type players when the debut and never really improve all that much really other then if they stick around long enough become a little more consistent and NRL savvy that affords them to look equal or better then their younger opponents who are still coming to grips with the NRL. Just like Robson did.

Cleary was and always looked like an ice cold and calculating half that just needed time and patience to get his game to the next level. Many of us could see this, but many of us could not as well and kept putting the boot in for their own reasons. Typical sports fan stuff really.

You though pou, weren't putting the boot in, you genuinely don't have a clue.

Stop relying so much on your stats and analysis and watch the game and player and get a feel for what is happening. Then add the stats mate. You might then get it right a little more often.
I rate anyone playing NRL as a teenager. That's a very reliable heuristic. I also rate Jeff Robson, even though he hardly played prior to his late 20s.

TheRam

Coach
I rate anyone playing NRL as a teenager. That's a very reliable heuristic. I also rate Jeff Robson, even though he hardly played prior to his late 20s.

I don't rate "anyone" that plays NRL as a teenager. There are probably hundreds that have played NRL over the last lets say 20 years that have not gone on to have NRL careers or have been just very average players overall. Some players just mature earlier mentally and or physically then others. I watch how they handle themselves and see how they respond to adversity and setbacks. Are they improving from game to game and season to season? What is their body type, speed and strength for the position they play? Are they having a positive impact on the game or nonexistent or detrimental? These are some of the things to look for and then there is personality too. But that is much harder to judge correctly, because some of the biggest merkins have been some of the games greatest.

But overall, just because a teenager has made it to the NRL, doesn't mean a whole lot really other then he has beaten a bunch of his mates to the punch. But it could be for a whole lot of reasons and not necessarily that he is going to be a quality long term NRL player or he just doesn't take the next step. The trick is to stay there and a whole lot don't.

Most of us rated Robson, but only as an average player, which is what he was. No more, no less.

hindy111

Post Whore
Agreed. Marata's versatility is what we lose when he goes. He can cover so well during unexpected injuries. As for Mahoney, the way he plays the game and his small stature will probably be his undoing. Making the amount of tackles that he does every game is going to eventually take their toll, otherwise he has a hell of a lot of improving in him still. If the Dogs play him the same way we do, then I expect many more injuries and eventually they will compromise his playing style and capability.

If the dogs can hide him better then we do and have him average his tackle count around the 30ish amount as to what the 40-50ish that he is doing at Parra, then he should be able to improve and further his attacking game and be quite the player.

Having said all that, I feel we will eventually be right for a dummy half replacement. We have a few promising youngsters that could end up the players too.

I'll check out this Morretti kid, I'm sure he is quality since you like him mate. You are rarely wrong if ever. Cheers mate.

I read about him on The cum throw. But those guys overripe a little which I do understand. But I watched some YouTube highlights. Kid can play

hindy111

Post Whore

Nathan Davis? Some are duds.

I'd like to see more of Russel. He seems to be hyped up a lot. I can't make a call yet but he seems to lack explosiveness from the little I have seen. But sample size is very very small.
I'm just unsure if he will be more a Dunster level or Penisini level.

Rocket man

Juniors
I read about him on The cum throw. But those guys overripe a little which I do understand. But I watched some YouTube highlights. Kid can play
I think Luka will be special.
I think we signed him for one year only. Hopefully we don't stuff up like we did With Papa and resign him early.

Gazzamatta

Coach
To be honest I enjoy pretty much everyone’s contributions on here. I find the bagging of BA somewhat tiring when it’s the same thing over and over again, but sometimes there’s decent constructive criticism too. Anyway, can’t wait for this season to start.
Sounds a bit like trying to avoid the collision there Matty. 😉