What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Eelogical

Referee
I do not understand why we couldn't/can't just add another national public holiday to our calendar year to celebrate our countries indigenous culture. Hell, make a whole week of it. Make it a huge celebration. It deserves to be celebrated.
January 26th will continue to be a devisive day. Maybe we can change that date - I don't really know what day would be better or more inclusive.
Surely there is a day or two every year that all parties could get majority agreement.
Sorting this shite out is just taking too long, and as each year passes, it just becomes more derisive.
Nope, leave it as it is. By bowing to the vocal minority will only lead to more of the same. ANZAC Day is another controversial date. The loonies will come out of the woodwork like they always do. Before we know it, Easter, Queens Birthday and Christmas will be under even greater attack. What will happen when QE2 dies, will there be a King's Birthday to replace it or will there be the clusterf**k of republic agendas to feed the divisive minority?

Suitman

Post Whore
Nope, leave it as it is. By bowing to the vocal minority will only lead to more of the same. ANZAC Day is another controversial date. The loonies will come out of the woodwork like they always do. Before we know it, Easter, Queens Birthday and Christmas will be under even greater attack. What will happen when QE2 dies, will there be a King's Birthday to replace it or will there be the clusterf**k of republic agendas to feed the divisive minority?

These discussions will continue forever.
I just don't get why we can't add an Indigenous celebration holiday/week.

Bandwagon

Staff member

Mate, Easter and Christmas aren't under attack, never have been, despite the cries of a multitude of Murdoch cronies.

Don't get sucked in to culture wars nonsense.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Has voting made any difference to their life outcomes? There aren't enough indigenous people to make a difference as a voting bloc. In this country it's another thing you can get fined for.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Has voting made any difference to their life outcomes? There aren't enough indigenous people to make a difference as a voting bloc. In this country it's another thing you can get fined for.

I'd say it has, a voice is important in addressing your grievances, you may disagree.

84 Baby

Referee
Well the connatations have a better chance of changing if you don't hold the thing on January 26. Of course, this alone doesn't solve anything. I agree with the last 2 sentences.
My actual question is why do the connotations need to change? Will changing the date change historical events? Is it not better to recognise what has happened and use it in repairing those events?

Bandwagon

Staff member
My actual question is why do the connotations need to change? Will changing the date change historical events? Is it not better to recognise what has happened and use it in repairing those events?

I guess there's a difference between recognising history, and celebrating a given version of history.

84 Baby

Referee
I guess there's a difference between recognising history, and celebrating a given version of history.
Agreed but are people celebrating English ships landing, or are they celebrating being able to get plastered on a work day? If you change the date of Australia Day, 99% of people will have to be told the significance of that date chosen, and 99% of those people will then not give a shit as long as they still get a day off work.

Gronk

Staff member
Wouldn’t it? There’s a f**k ton of “sovereign citizens”. How many people do you think are aware there is even a constitution, let alone what’s in it?
Dunno, but it’s a tad antiquated. I wonder what this one was about ?

Provision as to races disqualified from voting.
For the purposes of the last section, if by the law of any State all persons of any race are disqualified from voting at elections for the more numerous House of the Parliament of the State, then, in reckoning the number of the people of the State or of the Commonwealth, persons of that race resident in that State shall not be counted.

Anywho, all the Ularu Statement was (pertaining to the constitution) was seeking to recognise Aboriginal peoples' occupation of the land and continuing relationship with lands and water. Also that we recognise languages and to acknowledge and protect the role that languages have in Aboriginal communities. So we’re not giving them the keys to lodge.

hindy111

Post Whore
Agreed but are people celebrating English ships landing, or are they celebrating being able to get plastered on a work day? If you change the date of Australia Day, 99% of people will have to be told the significance of that date chosen, and 99% of those people will then not give a shit as long as they still get a day off work.

If you lived in a shared house and your birthday was on the same day as a housemates parents death and they said to you they'd like to celebrate but don't feel right being their parents died that day then would you be happy to celebrate your birthday the following week so your Housemate could also enjoy it?

Latest posts