What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Bandwagon

Staff member
Every Government that has tried to do something has quickly realised its incredibly difficult and basically just shit their pants.

Well, yeah, bandaid solutions tend to be bandaid solutions.

And let's face it, one of the flaws of democracy as we practice it is that real planning and policy direction geared to long term benefit or solutions is very seldomly rewarded at the ballot box.

Almost gone now is the lexicon of short term pain for long term gain from our political class, because it requires real leadership and courage to bring a country along with you, and it's far easier to do a bit of pork barrelling by excel spreadsheet to get bang for your electoral buck.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Well, yeah, bandaid solutions tend to be bandaid solutions.

And let's face it, one of the flaws of democracy as we practice it is that real planning and policy direction geared to long term benefit or solutions is very seldomly rewarded at the ballot box.

Almost gone now is the lexicon of short term pain for long term gain from our political class, because it requires real leadership and courage to bring a country along with you, and it's far easier to do a bit of pork barrelling by excel spreadsheet to get bang for your electoral buck.
Before I answer this, I'd like to acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the land on which all LU forum members reside and pay my respects to their Elders past, present and emerging.

Yep. Incredibly difficult to do anything meaningful and long term. Token gestures will always prevail. I predict the next one will be to shift Aus day.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
But is the gap getting any closer? Well it depends on where you start measuring, and what you're measuring, if you're referring to the Closing the Gap report / initiative, then yeah, there's evidence there that the gap is getting closer, albeit not at the rate targeted. It's easy to mistake failure to meet targets ( as is often pointed out to be the case ) for failure to make progress, ( which is rarely acknowledged ) but of course these are not the same thing.
Well said Scomo.

84 Baby

Referee
Before I answer this, I'd like to acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the land on which all LU forum members reside and pay my respects to their Elders past, present and emerging.

Yep. Incredibly difficult to do anything meaningful and long term. Token gestures will always prevail. I predict the next one will be to shift Aus day.
110%

Edit - 111% for the like

Last edited: