What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hook’s Days Numbered?

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I'm willing to say that Griffin will at the very least see out this year as HC and wouldn't surprise even his contract.

The fans might not like this but I'm sure you are right, and Hook will be there at least until the end of the season. Replacing Hook as coach has a number of issues:
A. It means the Board and Management will actually have to do some work instead of kicking back and drinking Crownies.
B. The issue of the Board and Management having to admit they were incompetent and got it wrong when they hired Hook
C. The Board having to approve a monetary payout, plus find the extra money required to hire a decent new coach.

Won't happen. Get used to Hook being there. Cheer when we finally jag a win against an Origin-decimated side.

justadragon

Bench
All I'm saying is to stop this never ending merry-go-round of hiring and firing coaches, they have got to get the best. Whether or not Flanagan is the best fit for us for several years and at the "right" price is uncertain. He did a really good job with the Sharks by hook (not this person again) or by crook and recruited well and got them a premiership even though there was some drama with their salary cap and some PED stuff.

To achieve the highest accolade in rugby league and that is a premiership, the coach holds the key and that key has unlocked the door to bringing in better players and assistants. Those that have won them several times like Bellamy, Robinson and Bennett and of course our legions of great coaches in the 50's and 60's, know and knew their trade and these modern day ones have passed on their knowledge and skills to so many others. The unfortunate thing is that we had Price taking over from Bennett and that didn't go down very well and set the Dragons along a never ending road of poor results with the likes of McGregor and dare I say it, Griffin.

So yes, the best is yet to come but the best has to.
once again a good post DD but I put this question to you, Flanno is now recruiting and retention, what has he brought to the club or has in the pipeline, what did he bring when he was AC. All I'm saying is we shouldnt just put Flanno there because he is there, I'd rather stick with Hook until seasons end and give the club time to evaluate who is out there that would suite our needs, if there is anyone, as you said its got to be a damn good coach to get us out of this debacle.

SEAT 1A

Bench
The signs are there. They need a bit more tweaking and more free rein and be unleashed. We have got to remember that we have got some new players on board and they will need to play a reasonable amount of games to get the combinations and read of play and confidence with one another to get us up there. They can do it. They will do it.

Except for Max Feagai, all players are back on deck and available for selection. Get right in there guys and kill it.

Agree Dragon Dave.

We are a bottom eight team with all players available and playing at their best.

Lest face it, there has been suspensions, injuries and players down in form.

Hook singed Molo and Suli which are going great. The team really missed Ramsey, Lomax is down in form, Simms was good in the Ells game and down against Souths.

Regardless of all the "what ifs", Hook needs some wins to keep his job.

Dragon David

First Grade
The fans might not like this but I'm sure you are right, and Hook will be there at least until the end of the season. Replacing Hook as coach has a number of issues:
A. It means the Board and Management will actually have to do some work instead of kicking back and drinking Crownies.
B. The issue of the Board and Management having to admit they were incompetent and got it wrong when they hired Hook
C. The Board having to approve a monetary payout, plus find the extra money required to hire a decent new coach.

Won't happen. Get used to Hook being there. Cheer when we finally jag a win against an Origin-decimated side.
I'm going along with this as well for the reasons you have mentioned Johnno and I would agree that Hook will see out his contract as Dragonslayer has said.

Each one of your reasons would have the BODs not wanting to end Hooks contract and I mean it.

What I am realising is that I said in another post that if they did get rid of Hook, they would need to go all out to get the best coach which could cost a fair bit, however, while that best coach could be happy to come here on say $2M a year, I don't think his heart would be in it. The best we need to get after Hook in a couple of years time would be either Ben Hornby or Jason Ryles, because their heart would be in it and not just go through the motions.

Dragon David

First Grade
Well we don't have any chance in high heaven of getting Ivan Cleary as our coach because of this -

But, if Cleary senior is going to be the Panthers coach until the end of 2027, young Cameron Ciraldo might be the one to try and lure away from them as there is now no chance of him waiting that long to be the head coach of the Panthers.

Cameron would be in high demand I would imagine. In fact if Barrett fails at the Bulldogs, Gould might get him at the Dogs.

denis preston

First Grade
Team selections take on new
I'm going along with this as well for the reasons you have mentioned Johnno and I would agree that Hook will see out his contract as Dragonslayer has said.

Each one of your reasons would have the BODs not wanting to end Hooks contract and I mean it.

What I am realising is that I said in another post that if they did get rid of Hook, they would need to go all out to get the best coach which could cost a fair bit, however, while that best coach could be happy to come here on say $2M a year, I don't think his heart would be in it. The best we need to get after Hook in a couple of years time would be either Ben Hornby or Jason Ryles, because their heart would be in it and not just go through the motions.
No, No , NO !! You mean bleeds red & white ? How has that got us so far ?

Dragon David

First Grade
Team selections take on new

No, No , NO !! You mean bleeds red & white ? How has that got us so far ?
I know that we have tried with the likes of Brown, Young Senior, Price, McGregor and Young Junior (only a few games) with very limited success (Brown might be the exception for some little success). So I am just speaking out of my behind and playing devils advocate on a topic that at this stage no-one has got a clue what will eventually happen and who we eventually get.

The only outsider who has had real success with us is of course Mr Wayne (not Batman) and you can throw in David Waite. So it obvious that my alluding to Hornby and Ryles as the possible coaches because their heart would be in it and they bleed red & white is wreckless and not convincing, I guess you could be right Denis, but then again, so could I.

Dragon David

First Grade
once again a good post DD but I put this question to you, Flanno is now recruiting and retention, what has he brought to the club or has in the pipeline, what did he bring when he was AC. All I'm saying is we shouldnt just put Flanno there because he is there, I'd rather stick with Hook until seasons end and give the club time to evaluate who is out there that would suite our needs, if there is anyone, as you said its got to be a damn good coach to get us out of this debacle.
I'm not 100% convinced nor am I privy as to the authenticity of Flanagan's position at the Dragons at the moment. If the BOD are seeing that Flanagan has an eye for spotting talent and is hired to have the recruiters negotiate on the clubs behalf to sign up new guys or retain some others, then there is nothing being told to us as to what he has achieved as such. Maybe there are some that are in the pipeline but there could also be another reason why he is employed again by the club and there has been a fair amount of speculation that goes with the word coaching. Maybe one day.

brissiedragon

Juniors
I know this is easy for me to say living in Brisbane, but the way to send a message to the board is to co-ordinate a fan no show at games, even a protest outside the grounds. The media would go nuts if the fans decided not to turn up

Agree Dragon Dave.

We are a bottom eight team with all players available and playing at their best.

Lest face it, there has been suspensions, injuries and players down in form.

Hook singed Molo and Suli which are going great. The team really missed Ramsey, Lomax is down in form, Simms was good in the Ells game and down against Souths.

Regardless of all the "what ifs", Hook needs some wins to keep his job.
Team really missed Ramsey??? You mean emotionally? Feagai showed more in the last game than Ramsey has shown ever.

Griffin proves yet again he is not a true Dragon's coach but merely a pretender. His continued overwhelming backing of the plodder rejects he dragged here from QLD backs up that and will see us remain in our present lowly position on the ladder and be the butt of ridicule. It is clear that he is here for the money.. nothing else. Rescind his final year and boot him at end of this season.

Last edited:
I know this is easy for me to say living in Brisbane, but the way to send a message to the board is to co-ordinate a fan no show at games, even a protest outside the grounds. The media would go nuts if the fans decided not to turn up
We did that with a man called Peter Doust.. our worst ever club CEO. Oversaw some of the most calamitous recruitment, retension and sackings this club has seen.

Last edited:
1 win from our last 14 makes Mary look like Bennett.
Love it. Maybe some of you knockers may be now wishing Mary was still here. One thing is certain.. he'd see that his poor selections were not bearing fruit and change them before too much damage was done. The bloke was a true believer.. he bled red and white like us diehards. Griffin is blind to anything other than backing the blokes he brought with him.

Mjab

Juniors
Basically never should have been resigned prior to the season
No one chasing him
To keep out media noise!!!!
Getting plenty now anyway
just another clear sign of incompetent management. CEO and BOD an utter joke and learnt nothing from the Mary years clearly.

If he started well resign 1/3 way thru season
If crap like he has been sack him and move on

I was happy to give him a go but that means also give sloan amone and sullivan a go
not the old reject rubbish players he has playing
too F.. slow

should pay whatever it takes to bring ciraldo to the club IMO
I know hes a rookie , but clearly a good rookie and may well bring some young fringe panthers with him
2 year deal with option clubs favour
sign him up soon so he can sort out a roster (like what they did at sharks)