What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hook’s Days Numbered?

st.phil

Bench
Agree Ryles would be a huge upgrade on Hook... has done the ultimate training under rorters n storm. Flanno as interim fr round 12 and then sort a next gen coach , Ryles fits the bill

Dragon David

First Grade
Hey guys. I've got news for you. We don't know Jack Sh.t as to what is going to happen to Mr Hook. We can speculate for all of this year, win. lose or draw and end up from 9th to 16th and all we know at this stage of the competition is that Mr Hook has signed for 2023 irrespective of the outcome of how we end up in 2022.

The Dragons don't like to pay out someone that they have made a commitment to. Even with the problems we had with Mr Mary, they waited towards the end of 2020 to let him know that his further services were not required.

I'm going to speculate that it will be in late 2023 that Mr Hook will be told about where he can go with his coaching manuals.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Your right D.D , the man wont be going anywhere . Just a piece of crap from ‘ XJ ‘ , if that was whom put out the rumour . I think there is more chance of Harold Holt appearing back on Swansea beach than our man Hook packing his bags .

100% correct. There is no round deadline etc for Griffin to perform. There's a lot going on in the background that people either don't want to know about or just outright ignoring for the sake of agenda.

I get some don't like Hook, and look at what Fitzgibbon has done in the first 5 rounds, however, I will make a point that McGregor also had us rolling up and at 'em in more than 1 season he was in charge only to fade, called May, June premiers. Fitzy is yet to face the crises that just about hits every team at some stage, let's see if he can handle that.

As far as Ciraldo, he's been overlooked for a couple of HC positions already, that tells me something.

Unless we finish stone motherless last by a long way this year and into next there won't be any HC changes at the Dragons.

Gareth67

First Grade
100% correct. There is no round deadline etc for Griffin to perform. There's a lot going on in the background that people either don't want to know about or just outright ignoring for the sake of agenda.

I get some don't like Hook, and look at what Fitzgibbon has done in the first 5 rounds, however, I will make a point that McGregor also had us rolling up and at 'em in more than 1 season he was in charge only to fade, called May, June premiers. Fitzy is yet to face the crises that just about hits every team at some stage, let's see if he can handle that.

As far as Ciraldo, he's been overlooked for a couple of HC positions already, that tells me something.

Unless we finish stone motherless last by a long way this year and into next there won't be any HC changes at the Dragons.
Totally agree with you D.S. For mine Griffin is a far better coach than the results show .

The fact that the players cannot give a 80 minute effort of concentration , commitment and above all show some heart is not Griffo’s fault . He can only instruct his players so far , once on the field the rest is up to them .

What some need to realize is that each of the players are experienced 1st graders whom have been playing the game for many a year , yet at times they appear to merely go through the motions .

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Looking at the strength of the cowboys comeback tonight, it’s clear that kind of spirit has Dean Young’s fingerprints all over it.

It’s time to bring him home.
I don't know about bringing Dean home yet muzby but I must say that as the defensive coach at the Cowboys, he hasn't been too bad. Possibly better than the one we have now and I'm being "gentle" here.

be55

Juniors
Looking at the strength of the cowboys comeback tonight, it’s clear that kind of spirit has Dean Young’s fingerprints all over it.

It’s time to bring him home.
homer simpson boat GIF

SAP58

Juniors

I agree the Dragons will not pay out Hook without a massive fight, they have made their bed. I have said it previously I think our best option is to get a better assistant coach(s). What has Peter Gentle done in his time with the Dragons or before that ? he was defensive coach the first year with Hook and we leaked more points than when Mary was around. He certainly hasnt got an impressive CV. A number of players have stated Hook is more of a man manager and he leaves it to the assistant coaches to run the team, if that is how he does it results show we need a lot better back up than Gentle & Head to get us to play the brand of football to win games, be consistant and show a hell of a lot more discipline than we have over the past couple of years. Who that assistant should or could be is another question, is it Flannigan or is giving Willie Talau a shot as he gets massive wraps from our juniors and it wouldnt be a difficult move.

Crush

Coach
I love watching Ricky Stuart fume in a press conference, love it when they lose.
However after watching Hook in pressers of late I am starting to respect the way Ricky talks.
His team blew a 12 point lead and he was scathing. He criticised his players and said individuals weren’t putting in. Didn’t praise the cowboys, didn’t talk about any positives, in the end just stood up and walked out.
Hook would have said I was really happy with the first half……Cowboys are a very strong football team……We take a lot of positives out of that los……

Dragon David

First Grade
I love watching Ricky Stuart fume in a press conference, love it when they lose.
However after watching Hook in pressers of late I am starting to respect the way Ricky talks.
His team blew a 12 point lead and he was scathing. He criticised his players and said individuals weren’t putting in. Didn’t praise the cowboys, didn’t talk about any positives, in the end just stood up and walked out.
Hook would have said I was really happy with the first half……Cowboys are a very strong football team……We take a lot of positives out of that los……
The thing is though, criticising players and getting stuck into them might also have an adverse effect on them. But I'm all for it when they are not all putting in. Hook needs to try it some time and start barking out instructions like Sergeant Ricky.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
The thing is though, criticising players and getting stuck into them might also have an adverse effect on them. But I'm all for it when they are not all putting in. Hook needs to try it some time and start barking out instructions like Sergeant Ricky.
Based on the infamous Lomax and Lawrie interview, Hook can dish out a big serve to a player in the privacy of the dressing room. Whether it is effective or not is another matter.

Crush

Coach
I think he’s accepting mediocrity by praising the opposition in press conferences. When he talked about how good Cronulla were it really pissed me off. It’s like he says we couldn’t possibly compete with them, they’re above our level. Screw that, he has the team he wanted, if he can’t beat teams that play well then what’s the point? Finish 10th again? Did we get rid of the last coach to finish 10th?
Fair dinkum.

Dragon David

First Grade
I think he’s accepting mediocrity by praising the opposition in press conferences. When he talked about how good Cronulla were it really pissed me off. It’s like he says we couldn’t possibly compete with them, they’re above our level. Screw that, he has the team he wanted, if he can’t beat teams that play well then what’s the point? Finish 10th again? Did we get rid of the last coach to finish 10th?
Fair dinkum.
Fair dinkum is right!

Yep! If Cam Smith started coaching Saints I would finally cancel my lifelong support for the club. It would be the dead-end, rock bottom, total write-off IMO.
Ciraldo's the man! I sincerely doubt he's available or interested, though. I might start praying again.
I agree 50%, Mojo - I would rather do 50 laps of Scum Park, naked but for a pair of white adidas footy boots stuffed with broken glass, in a hailstorm, than have Smith anywhere near the coaching job at the Dragons. The Alex McKinnon tackle, and his subsequent reaction to it, would be reason enough - regardless of all the other reasons not to want him in the coaching role ie lack of experience, being a total tool.
But big No to Ciraldo - no to any more first-timers or rookie coaches. Either we find a way to clone Harry Bath or we throw everything but the kitchen sink at Bellamy to get him in.

Last edited:

Carlton

Juniors
Fair dinkum.
In an interview not that long ago, when he was asked, Hook basically said that he does not have the team he wants. It's common knowledge that there are some legacy players he still wants to move on and has filled a number of positions with very short contracts which would tend to make you think he hasn't finished recruiting.

I agree with the press conferences, get some starch into them and show some passion. I am not so upset if he acknowledges the other team played well but dont sugar coat SGI playing badly. Also, when we have been done over by the refs or copped unreasonable sin bins speak up, dont just turn the other cheek.