What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tariq Sims

SBD82

Coach
In your sly attempt to have a dig at the club
Agree re Friz, runs more direct, better in out lines and even has a passing game these days.
Host yeah..nah. More consistent but still a bench warmer
That was all under McGregor

Sims, I can remember 1 x good game for origin which I admit was in recent memory being last year
But for many a year has been to inconsistent wherever he has been WIWO
Sly? I thought it was fairly forthright. And it wasn’t aimed at the club, it was aimed at our spine and attacking structure. Can you name one player in the last 5 years who has consistently found space on the edge? Surely it can’t be that they’re all shit runners?

To be clear, I think that he should take the Melbourne offer. He’s getting on in age and I think it’s time for us to go in another direction.

But some of the criticism in here is unfair in my opinion. Consistency has been an issue but it’s hard to name anyone that has been consistently better than him over the past 5 years.

BLM01

First Grade
Sly? I thought it was fairly forthright. And it wasn’t aimed at the club, it was aimed at our spine and attacking structure. Can you name one player in the last 5 years who has consistently found space on the edge? Surely it can’t be that they’re all shit runners?

To be clear, I think that he should take the Melbourne offer. He’s getting on in age and I think it’s time for us to go in another direction.

But some of the criticism in here is unfair in my opinion. Consistency has been an issue but it’s hard to name anyone that has been consistently better than him over the past 5 years.
Bird and Sua have shown things can be created on an edge
Kerr can too if he can hold the ball
I agree Re Sims he has been one of our best but he has not been consistent

Como Connection

First Grade

Billy Burns.
CC

SBD82

Coach
Bird and Sua have shown things can be created on an edge
Kerr can too if he can hold the ball
I agree Re Sims he has been one of our best but he has not been consistent
Bird and Sua have had to create for themselves.

I want them to be our left and right edge forwards, but Bird still needs to prove himself on the edge week in week out. Sua is special. Hopefully he doesn’t lose that under our systems.

Dragon David

First Grade
1. Because at his age he can only lift on the odd occasion, and would argue most do when it comes to origin.

2. Always will have a soft spot for Frizz, but he still runs that same boneheaded line back on the inside. Good for a barnstorming run but hasn't added anything to his game, still can't pass for the life of him.

3. Host was on the rise but you can't honestly say he's anything but a solid first grader.
Hi Adolf

I can only lift on the odd occasion as well nowadays. Hahaha! Old age says it all.

justadragon

Bench

I want them to be our left and right edge forwards, but Bird still needs to prove himself on the edge week in week out. Sua is special. Hopefully he doesn’t lose that under our systems.
all our edge runners have suffered badly i think because of poor service they are getting, we hardly see our edge runners, centers and wingers in any decent space

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
A lot of criticism here for Tariq, mainly about being inconsistent. It might be true, but it doesn't change the fact that his best is very very good. He's won games for us over the years when the rest of the side was plodding. He had a crap season in 2019 when he was carrying a groin injury and for whatever reason the club kept selecting him to play. The rest of the time he has never been less than OK and sometimes a hell of a lot better than that.

I suppose you could say players like Lawrie and Kerr are consistent, but it's hardly a compliment. I think I'd rather have a player who can and has lifted in big games.

SBD82

Coach
all our edge runners have suffered badly i think because of poor service they are getting, we hardly see our edge runners, centers and wingers in any decent space
I agree. And the fact that our halves seem unable to consistently play straight and attract defenders, or skip to the outside and ball play means that line runners can’t get to the outside shoulder.

But I’d go one step further.

We don’t attack with shape. Our playmakers don’t have options. So we don’t make the defence make decisions. They can target our centres and edge forwards and hit them in numbers.

We honestly look like a park footy team. We’re running block plays from 10 years ago. And that just isn’t good enough in 2022. Edge defenders are too good at reading the block play.

Illusion

Bench
Kinda debunks the whole "Melbourne makes you a better player" doesn't it? Don't let it ruin your night
It wont ruin my night ....... Where did I say it will make him a better player ..... I said it will be easier for him playing with a better team than a team that is struggling .....

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade

Agree

Puff

First Grade
Bellyache will 100 percent making him a better player. Don’t fool yourselves into believing otherwise.

He is more likely to use him appropriately, get him service where and when he will excel. And playing with better players will lift his standard in training and in games.

if I were in the same situation I would leave 100 percent of the time.

I am a dragons supporter. But that doesn’t stop me from calling it how it is. I think some of you don’t like to call it for what it is because you feel like you’re cheating on your club.

We are a f**king shambles. I wouldn’t want it play for us at the moment either.

justadragon

Bench
I agree. And the fact that our halves seem unable to consistently play straight and attract defenders, or skip to the outside and ball play means that line runners can’t get to the outside shoulder.

But I’d go one step further.

We don’t attack with shape. Our playmakers don’t have options. So we don’t make the defence make decisions. They can target our centres and edge forwards and hit them in numbers.

We honestly look like a park footy team. We’re running block plays from 10 years ago. And that just isn’t good enough in 2022. Edge defenders are too good at reading the block play.
yep absolutely, I watched suli play one of his last games for manly, he was massive because he had space to run into where he could really wind up, whereas with us gets the ball and has all the defense on top of him, a guy like him being one of our primary strike weapons should have had at least 5-6 trys by now, and how many has he scored and why,,,,hmm i wonder

Jeremy Dragon

Juniors
yep absolutely, I watched suli play one of his last games for manly, he was massive because he had space to run into where he could really wind up, whereas with us gets the ball and has all the defense on top of him, a guy like him being one of our primary strike weapons should have had at least 5-6 trys by now, and how many has he scored and why,,,,hmm i wonder
Yet he only mangeged 3 tries last year and 2 the year before in a superior attacking side

justadragon

Bench
Yet he only mangeged 3 tries last year and 2 the year before in a superior attacking side
Yep good point you make jeremy, I tend to think that attitude may have had something to do with it, plus he wasnt in the side for many games. My observation so far with him this year is he is trying and doing his best, still i believe he is not being used right.

Dragon David

First Grade
Yep good point you make jeremy, I tend to think that attitude may have had something to do with it, plus he wasnt in the side for many games. My observation so far with him this year is he is trying and doing his best, still i believe he is not being used right.
Good sides nullify our mob quite easily in attack because we don't have a committed running side and the service is just too slow. We don't have too many thinkers in our team and that's what you need. They need to think ahead and the captain needs to give orders to spread out in attack and use set plays as much as possible (this might not be part of the to do list in their handbook possibly). Speed is vital, it just is.

justadragon

Bench
Good sides nullify our mob quite easily in attack because we don't have a committed running side and the service is just too slow. We don't have too many thinkers in our team and that's what you need. They need to think ahead and the captain needs to give orders to spread out in attack and use set plays as much as possible (this might not be part of the to do list in their handbook possibly). Speed is vital, it just is.
our 9 and 6 are not providing something alternate to Hunt, therefore they are not getting clean ball to the outside backs

BLM01

First Grade
We improved on of what you say against newcastle which is why he was prominent.
Lets see if we can do it against the Chooks although Manu may be marking him

possm

Coach
The question is, who will replace Sims? From what I've seen, Bird is a better five-eighth than he is a left edge forward. Burns is still a work in progress and most of the other current candidates are off contract at the end of this season.

Given Sims is reportedly on 800k p/a and given we have so many that may move on at the end of this season, I'd like to see Saints splash out on a quality edge forward. My Michael Molo is the answer however, he is also un-tested right now. He may just be the a candidate for the position.

Latest posts