What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 11 V Roosters

Penrith are the darlings of the NRL though one has to say and allowed to slow the play the ball down and not be penalised for it

Roosters average play the ball speed in 1st half was 2.27 seconds with 41% possession and second half 3.20 seconds with 59% possession

Only 1 ruck penalty (set restart) conceded by Penrith though.

JWH is targeted by the Refs for certain- wasn't even charged for the slap on JFH that he was placed on report for.

Penrith are the darlings of the NRL though one has to say and allowed to slow the play the ball down and not be penalised for it

Roosters average play the ball speed in 1st half was 2.27 seconds with 41% possession and second half 3.20 seconds with 59% possession

JWH is targetted by the Refs those for certain
Rich coming from a fan of team that perfected the art of giving away penalties to slow the game down and led to the introduction of the six again.

And if JWH stopped hitting blokes in the head he might not be targeted. Of course, he learnt from the best when it comes to deflecting; the Rooster puppets are now out there talking about how hard done by JWH is rather than calling him out for the recidivist thug he is.

DinkyDi

Juniors

JWH is targeted by the Refs for certain- wasn't even charged for the slap on JFH that he was placed on report for.
You're wrong about that. In fact it is the Rorters, oops I meant the Roosters, who are the darlings. I guess you didn't pay the ref's enough to swing the game your way.

maple_69

Bench
I agree Martin has played his role well. I still don’t think he’s ever managed to find consistently high performances through his career. That’s an area he could certainly develop but he has plenty of time. His floor is still pretty effective, if a little rough around the edges, and I agree he and Kikau could use a 15 min spell. Would love to lure Garner over early, even if it took sending a decent prospect like Smith back.

snickers007

Juniors

Get a grip. 2.27s and 3.2s is lightning quick for a play the ball. That's the reason we didn't concede penalties/set restarts.

Most teams AVG play the ball speed is above 3.5s.

Thirsty Panther

Juniors

Interesting interpretation of the game.
Roosters play the ball speed was 2.98 sec ( according to NRL ).
Panthers play the ball speed was 3.87 sec. Almost a second longer yet we were slowing the play!
Penalty count was 7 to 5 in Roosters favour.
The referee didn't beat you.
You were beaten by a very good football team.

Smug Panther

First Grade

Roosters showed even less heart than the Russian soldiers currently losing to farmers and their tractors

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Why don't people understand players can have periods of bad form? Luai had a bad month or so amd now is playing his natural game again. Thought either him or Yeo were best on ground.

Martin was pretty bad for errors last night.

Exactly. It frustrates and amuses the heck out of me.

It appears that some, demand that players, play like robots........not like humans, with flesh and blood.

I'm sure these same folks sit down with a spreadsheet documenting every dropped ball, mistakes, penalty given away.

Me I have better (much better) things to do with my life. Including enjoying it. Martin had a challening night, like Luai he'll come good.

(I await the pile in) 😂

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

Nothing like a sore loser. Just like your coach.

JWH hit the player high. That is a penalty, and a penalty try if it happens in the act of scoring a try.

Any player who mouths off at the ref, deserves what he gets.

Why do you think the Roosters are above the laws of the game.

Last edited:

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Panthers play the ball speed was 3.87 sec. Almost a second longer yet we were slowing the play!

Exactly.

Penrith lost the penalty count.

But hey we was wobbed says the Roosters fan.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I agree Martin has played his role well. I still don’t think he’s ever managed to find consistently high performances through his career. That’s an area he could certainly develop but he has plenty of time. His floor is still pretty effective, if a little rough around the edges, and I agree he and Kikau could use a 15 min spell. Would love to lure Garner over early, even if it took sending a decent prospect like Smith back.

Martin played 69 mins last night. I think Ivan is extending out his playing time....may be the reason for a couple of errors.

Iamback

Coach
It wasn’t his best game, but he wasn’t shite.

He had two errors as I recall; one was a bad play the ball, attention-to -detail thing where he got tangled up. That was poor, but happens in a game due to sheer physics of the shape of the ball, weight of the players and angles bodies end up at. Yes he could have reduced those factors by holding the ball closer to his body. The other was a short pass that he put down before contact; hard ball to take but he probably should have. So that is two errors. In terms of missed tackles I can’t remember any major missed tackles (not like the rights miss of Manu that led to the ball being spread to the other side, or Crotter on Momo). I thought his first contact was excellent last night (same with Kiks on the other side); constantly hitting hard and turning the play back inside.

Thr SuperCoach point is that his worth to the team isn’t based on stats; he has a role to play that means he gets the ball significantly less frequently than the middle forwards. Martin’s role is to straighten up the right hand attack and create room for his outside men, and he does this really well by a) running his lines well (if you watch closely he almost always hits the outside shoulder or the edge back row defender that is protecting the defensive left half or the half, or a metre or so either side) and b) always being an option (he is always there and always runs with purpose). It would be great if he developed a pass after contact/offload, but that generally means more errors (see Kiks overall error count across the past few years and physics point above). In defence Martin hits hard; again his role and the reality is players bounce off him. This is bad from a tackle effectiveness perspective but doesn’t lead to momentum being created by the opposition.

So, did he have a good game? He did his job as described above in attack without being spectacular, and his defending was very good; so an average game for a SOO back rower. But he plays an integral role in a side that just beat the team coming 4th without really hitting any heights. But that stat doesn’t show up in SuperCoach and requires a greater understanding of the game plan to assess value.

Looking at it like that. Do you think Crichton and To'o got enough early quality ball?

Nothing like a sore loser. Just like your coach.

JWH hit the player high. That is a penalty, and a penalty try if it happens in the act of scoring a try.

Any player who mouths off at the ref, deserves what he gets.

Why do you think the Roosters are above the laws of the game.
A little slap and lays down like he's been hit by a truck -The Refs are like a 14th player for the NRL darlings Penrith

NRL darlings Penrith were helped by the ref as they have been all this season and were last season as well especially during the finals series.

Too cocky and smug Penrith especially their ex Rooster Coach

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
A little slap and lays down like he's been hit by a truck -The Refs are like a 14th player for the NRL darlings Penrith

It's quite amusing Marshall how you (and you're coach) tend to bend like the wind....

If a high shot occurs to a Roosters player. The cry of ban him, crucify him, rings out from Robinson's mouth.

If one of his players is penalised for a high shot.....the tone changes to the Roosters are being overly penalised.

You and your coach are nothing more than sore loosers, who sook, when things don't go your way.

Fish was hit high, End of story. Penalty every day of the week. If it happens when scoring a try. Penalty try.

It's quite amusing Marshall how you (and you're coach) tend to bend like the wind....

If a high shot occurs to a Roosters player. The cry of ban him, crucify him, rings out from Robinson's mouth.

If one of his players is penalised for a high shot.....the tone changes to the Roosters are being overly penalised.

You and your coach are nothing more than sore loosers, who sook, when things don't go your way.

Fish was hit high, End of story. Penalty every day of the week. If it happens when scoring a try. Penalty try.
JWH not even charged for a high tackle as it wasn't one - Just the Ref's giving the NRL darlings Penrith a leg up again.

Eventually this will end as smug and cockiness will only be tolerated for a period of time and that time is running out.

Wont be going back to back in 2022 either

Last edited:

age.s

First Grade
Mmmm oh yeah baby. Salty losing fans getting all bitchy in our forum still feels amazing.

Savour it fam. It won't be like this forever.

soc123_au

Staff member
JWH not even charged for a high tackle as it wasn't one - Just the Ref's giving the NRL darlings Penrith a leg up again.

Eventually this will end as smug and cockiness will only be tolerated for a period of time and that time is running out.

Wont be going back to back in 2022 either
It wont be your team that ends the smug reign. Chooks are about as effective as a T-90 vs a tractor.