What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matthew Lodge

Fufu Andronez

First Grade

Inside Matt Lodge's sudden departure from Warriors, why the club let him walk​

Matt Lodge wanted out at the Warriors and he got his wish.
Friday’s announcement that Matt Lodge was leaving the Warriors immediately took everyone outside the club by surprise, but those on the inside knew it was going to happen sooner, rather than later as he risked becoming a bad influence.
Lodge, who turns 27 later this month, has a history of walking out of contracts early.
Having started off playing for the Panthers’ NYC team he joined the Storm from 2013.

But midway through the 2014 season he moved to Wests Tigers, where he eventually made his NRL debut.

He was sacked by the Tigers in October 2015 after being arrested at gunpoint in New York for assaulting and holding hostage a couple and their nine-year-old son.

Then last year he made another mid-season move from the Broncos to the Warriors and less than 12 months later he’s done it again. During his time with the Warriors the Broncos will still paying a large chunk of his waged.

Matt Lodge was fined $5000 for giving Titans fans the bird after being sent off in the final game of the 2021 season.
It’s understood he became increasingly unhappy at the Warriors and wasn’t content to see out the season, even though he still wanted the money he was owed.
Lodge’s father-in-law is Peter O’Sullivan, the current recruitment manager at the Dolphins, who did the same job at the Warriors up until quitting late last year to team up with Wayne Bennett.

O’Sullivan now has a poor relationship with the Warriors and his parting with the club was acrimonious.
Lodge is managed by Stephen Moses, the cousin of controversial player agent Isaac Moses, who was previously Lodge’s manager before being de-registered by the NRL last year for coaching Tim Mannah to provide false and misleading evidence to the NRL’s Integrity Unit around the Eels salary cap rorting.
Stephen Moses works for Cove Agency, the company which is owned by Isaac Moses.
Isaac has a terrible relationship with the Warriors and their owner Mark Robinson. Isaac also represented Stephen Kearney, who Robinson sacked in 2020.

How much this is all a factor in Lodge’s thinking is unknown, but Lodge wanted out and wasn’t prepared to wait.
His comments in a press release sent out on Friday that he wanted to provide the Warriors with clarity, because he wouldn’t be taking up the option to be with them next season, makes little sense as throughout the NRL there are players who know they’re moving on next season, but are still content to play out this year with their current club.
Lodge had decided he wanted to leave the Warriors immediately, regardless of the fact that he was contracted through to the end of the season.

At first it was explained to Lodge that this wasn’t how the system worked and he couldn’t walk out of a contract just because he felt like it.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/women-in-sport
However, it became apparent that it was more trouble than it was worth to keep Lodge and he’d become a bad influence inside the club.
Rather than risk his poor attitude affecting other players, the decision was made to cut ties and remove him from their environment.
League fans and other clubs can again look at Lodge’s track record for leaving clubs early and determine how much of a pattern there is of it.
On the surface, it looks like terrible news for the Warriors. However, Tohu Harris is going to be used more as a middle forward in the future, rather than being on an edge.
Also, Josh Curran is expected to be back from his knee injury in a couple of weeks and the Warriors may look at picking up someone else to join the squad.
While Lodge’s time at the Warriors won’t be judged a poorly as Kane Evans’s, playing just 14 games and regularly getting into trouble with officials he won’t be remembered too fondly.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Congrats to the Warriors for taking the rubbish out
Sounds like a often used tactic by the grub Moses to get players out, he had Blake Green do the same at Manly training to get him to the Warriors after Manly wouldn’t release him

Scott

Bench
I applaud our management for letting him go. It would have been nice if Brown had of given him a serve in yesterdays after match presser when asked about the situation. He was far too nice & PC about it all. Lodge is developing quite the reputation. I pity the next club he signs on with!

Leber

Bench
Any good but disgruntled players (preferably a centre) we could throw some coin at?

Matua

Bench
I applaud our management for letting him go. It would have been nice if Brown had of given him a serve in yesterdays after match presser when asked about the situation. He was far too nice & PC about it all. Lodge is developing quite the reputation. I pity the next club he signs on with!
Why? They shouldn't have contracted him in the first place and then if reports in this thread are correct he forced the Warriors to release him. This whole situation just highlights how tutae this whole club is.

Reactions: JJ

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Turns out Lodge was named in the side then sent Brown a message saying that he wouldn’t be playing this week

shows the character of the bloke

He's a piece of f**king shit. One of the worst humans to play in the NRL. Further proven by this, when he should be honoring a contract no matter how shit we are.

JJ

Immortal
Why? They shouldn't have contracted him in the first place and then if reports in this thread are correct he forced the Warriors to release him. This whole situation just highlights how tutae this whole club is.
Yep…. You’re rolling rigged dice if you sign Lodge…

The NY thing is enough for me, but just in general he’s trouble… dude can play though

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I hope we're not paying him a f**king cent in that case.

No work, no pay.
No, surely we're not.

This'll do me. What sort of weak people do we have in our organisation? These quotes alarm me massively:

“Lodgey sent me a message to let me know he wouldn’t be playing which was nice of him out of respect to let me know,” Brown said on Saturday following his side’s 24-18 loss to the Dragons.

Brown was asked why Lodge opted against playing out the season despite the Warriors being based in Redclifee in southeast Queensland.

“Lodgey was more keen the other way, which is fine,” Brown said.

“You just move on, don’t you. You just wish him well and he came and wished all the boys well, he enjoyed playing with the boys.

“He built up some good relationships with a lot of the players so yeah that’s the way it is sometimes in sport. Everyone shakes hands and off you go.”

What the f**k? What sort of happy clappy organisation are we running? This prat shat on the club, like he's shat on others and shat on innocent members of the public. Have some f**king pills about you and say so.

JJ

Immortal
You have to wonder, does Johnson message him each week saying "I'll be playing 7 this week Brownie", Aitken messages saying "yeah, nah, won't play centre this week Brownie", BMM texts saying "pay cheque arrived, but not feeling much like making an effort this week Brownie, extended bench for me"

Rich102

Staff member
The whole club is dysfunctional from top to bottom. The shots of the coach's box during and after a game are proof of this.

Meth

Staff member
“Lodgey sent me a message to let me know he wouldn’t be playing which was nice of him out of respect to let me know,”

Not a lot of respect there Browney

ozenzud

Juniors
Rats leaving a sinking ship. I've had to stop caring to save my sanity. Surprised there are any fans left.

Tongue

Juniors
“Lodgey sent me a message to let me know he wouldn’t be playing which was nice of him out of respect to let me know,”

I think Brown is playing devils advocate here. Almost sarcastic.
Honestly, Lodge was gone and is gone. Brown has no reason to dwell on it.
Lodge has history and sounds like he was been a kook.
No point Brown wasting anymore energy on it.

jaseg

Juniors
Yeah, that "nice of him" comment reads like sarcasm to me also. Particularly when paired with the next comment quoted.

JJ

Immortal

Does "respect" have a different meaning in Straya?

JJ

Immortal
Yeah, that "nice of him" comment reads like sarcasm to me also. Particularly when paired with the next comment quoted.
might be giving him a bit much credit - it's possible, but TBH if that was his intent I don't see why he wouldn't give it to Lodge - surely other players wouldn't be upset at calling out a dwerp for being a dwerp

Matua

Bench
FFS, burn the place to the ground. The Warriors don't deserve to be a club. Let the Orcas take their place and see if they can make a better fist of it? Actually, considering the cluster fudge that is the Canes management that might not be such a good plan.

Latest posts