What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well if you are so concerned about sports who have cut funding a lot you should look at afl

rugby league clubs have never received the grants they are getting now. 16 million per club which is basically the same as afl clubs get on average.
aw bless divert it back to afl, again!

if they slashed some more from grassroots the surplus would be even more impressive!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Which expansion clubs did John grant add ?

took a nsw boss to add another team to qld whilst
Guys like Beattie and grant twiddled their thumbs

and you know the qrl muppets didn’t actually want the dolphins in the nrl. They argued against nrl expansion in qld
I reckon Beattie would have genuinely expanded the comp. not just added another heartland club for no money.
If he had the power and influence to do so is another matter though

Which expansion clubs did John grant add ?

took a nsw boss to add another team to qld whilst
Guys like Beattie and grant twiddled their thumbs

and you know the qrl muppets didn’t actually want the dolphins in the nrl. They argued against nrl expansion in qld
Grant and Beattie were puppets and PVL is better than them all, but if he was fair dinkum he would cull one team from Southern Sydney and one from South Western Sydney because the business case of having these regions over saturated doesn't stack up and, he would reduce the annual grant for the remaining Sydney clubs by a minimum of $1m per annum to make up for the advantages they gain in the player market from travelling less than the interstate clubs.

Wb1234

Referee
I reckon Beattie would have genuinely expanded the comp. not just added another heartland club for no money.
So why didn’t he ?
He was boss of the arlc why didn’t he do the exact thing vlandys did

especially after one of the first things he said as boss is the game must expand or it will die

guess he chose death

mongoose

Coach
Grant and Beattie were puppets and PVL is better than them all, but if he was fair dinkum he would cull one team from Southern Sydney and one from South Western Sydney because the business case of having these regions over saturated doesn't stack up and, he would reduce the annual grant for the remaining Sydney clubs by a minimum of $1m per annum to make up for the advantages they gain in the player market from travelling less than the interstate clubs.
PVL is just as much of a puppet, it's why the Murdoch media sing his praises so much lol I doubt expansion or Redcliffe was his decision, some nameless suits in Surry Hills or probably New York made it.

Wb1234

Referee
Sydney clubs and News Ltd control the ARLC.
Some Sydney clubs do have undue influence at the arlc that’s true

the roosters primarily then souths. But all the nrl clubs have been pretty united lately about issues

until there’s another pay tv company to take the rights keeping news ltd happy is a smart move

it is what it is

Pippen94

First Grade
That would depend on the ownership structure. If it’s majority owned by WA people then the answer would be never. Realistically there would need to be anew company started up called west coast bears or similar. Ownership structure could then be anything. Ideally it would be 80% WA owned with bears having a 20% stake in the company and a seat on the board. The rest of the board made up by the other WA investors, a seat for nrlwa and a seat for the sports minister.

Bears aren't going to be owned by wa government - where are you getting this bs?! Will have a money mark somewhere who will sustain club as long as they're interest lasts or extra NRL handouts keep coming.

Bears brings leagues & more stability plus an out if Perth turns into gws money pit

Perth Red

Post Whore
So why didn’t he ?
He was boss of the arlc why didn’t he do the exact thing vlandys did

especially after one of the first things he said as boss is the game must expand or it will die

guess he chose death
Sorry I meant would have liked to. He was very positive in his comments at that time about expansion. Like I said maybe he didnt have the influence over the commission, maybe the commissioners have changed since? Maybe he wasnt in the position long enough, Or maybe Vlandys bull in a china shop approach to things was what was needed to get over the recalcitrance of the ARLC and its conflicted decision making processes.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Sorry I meant would have liked to. He was very positive in his comments at that time about expansion. Like I said maybe he didnt have the influence over the commission, maybe the commissioners have changed since? Maybe he wasnt in the position long enough, Or maybe Vlandys bull in a china shop approach to things was what was needed to get over the recalcitrance of the ARLC and its conflicted decision making processes.
If anything, I would say it was Greenberg getting in the way of expansion through his poor management and allocation of NRL funds...Creating new and unnecessary departments that were sucking money out of the game. Would then use the excuse (which was true because of how poorly managed the money was) that the NRL didn't have the funds to support expansion.

PVL took a scythe to the whole thing and managed to bring the NRL's financial situation back under control to make expansion an actual possibility.

Perth Red

Post Whore
PVL is just as much of a puppet, it's why the Murdoch media sing his praises so much lol I doubt expansion or Redcliffe was his decision, some nameless suits in Surry Hills or probably New York made it.
Its amazing that there has been ZERO media coverage or criticism of the fight he's having with NSWRL in withdrawing their funding that has now ended up in court. Could you imagine how the media would be ripping and tearing at any other past NRL chair or CEO in this situation? If you ever needed to know how much he is in bed with them this is a great example.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bears aren't going to be owned by wa government - where are you getting this bs?! Will have a money mark somewhere who will sustain club as long as they're interest lasts or extra NRL handouts keep coming.

Bears brings leagues & more stability plus an out if Perth turns into gws money pit
Never said they would be. I said they SHOULD be owned by WA businessmen that want to invest in owning a Perth based NRL club. No idea what the rest of your gabble is saying lol.

Vee

First Grade
Beattie is, was and always will be a media tart, all show and no substance.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its no coincidence the game decided to expand as soon as News Ltd said yes you can. Weak as pss lol. You only have to see how much News Ltd and NSW racing are in bed together to see whose pocket Vlandys sits in.

Not that its a bad outcome, Brisbane2 is long overdue. Cant help but think that a more strategic leader would have brought in two teams though and actually made TV pay more for the privilege.

Pippen94

First Grade
Never said they would be. I said they SHOULD be owned by WA businessmen that want to invest in owning a Perth based NRL club. No idea what the rest of your gabble is saying lol.

When Perth flops bears can move back to north Sydney. NRL doesn't have to money or stubbornness to eternally fund gws style sinkhole

Pippen94

First Grade

Never happen

Wb1234

Referee
Bull in the China shop is what we need.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Tell me why NRL wants bears / Perth bid?!
Mate if you’re going to make dumb arse statements like “When Perth flops” then we can all see youre a troll. There’s no reason to believe perth will flop and even less evidence that it’s a certainty. Therefore your only posting it to get a response, which is trolling.

Latest posts