What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Perth Red

Post Whore
There’s a fair argument that a Sydney competition plus the broncos would generate more per club than the current deal does
What would that argument be?
the stats would suggest differently
of the least 8 watched clubs on tv in 2017-2019, 5 of them are nsw clubs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I
If that is your basis then you’ll never grow anything because history has to start from somewhere.

Based on your train of thought, the game would never have left Sydney and all the talented athletes you see play the game would have pursued other sports where they could earn more money. You can argue as much as you want but it is simple and demand economics

Then lastly and this is the English word I hate more than any other: real. It is often used in such a flippantly or incoherent fashion.

Define what a ‘real’ fan look like? Are they sitting on their backside watching a game on TV, are they going to games, are they buying merchandise? Or is it a location thing? Is it a socio-economic thing? Or is if something that you can only judge? It is such an perverse thing to make a judgement of authenticity on such a thing
think you mean it would never have left Huddersfield lol these plastic Australian clubs that came along twenty years after the English ones, no history, pretend fans, no place in rl.

yeh sounds kind of stupid doesn’t it?

Wb1234

Referee
What would that argument be?
the stats would suggest differently
of the least 8 watched clubs on tv in 2017-2019, 5 of them are nsw clubs.

if your looking at where the nswrl was before expansion and looking at the clubs that added a lot to that competition then it’s only the broncos

the rest are all small regional clubs

of course there are other metrics to look at but that comp would’ve given more to each club than the current one

edit throw in the warriors forgot about them

Perth Red

Post Whore
if your looking at where the nswrl was before expansion and looking at the clubs that added a lot to that competition then it’s only the broncos

the rest are all small regional clubs

of course there are other metrics to look at but that comp would’ve given more to each club than the current one
I thought you were arguing tv value? Wouldt tv value the clubs that are watched the most? in which case a comp of only nsw clubs would include 5 of the least watched clubs in the nrl on tv. The most value would be to drop the bottom 4 or 5 and replace them With bigger potential markets or with clubs that have a much broader appeal nationally.

of the top 8 most watched clubs 3 of them are expansion clubs. Where as 4 of the bottom 8 are nsw later addition clubs. If anything the addition of nsw clubs seems to have negatively impacted tv audiences.

Wb1234

Referee
I thought you were arguing tv value? Wouldt tv value the clubs that are watched the most? in which case a comp of only nsw clubs would include 5 of the least watched clubs in the nrl on tv. The most value would be to drop the bottom 4 or 5 and replace them With bigger potential markets or with clubs that have a much broader appeal nationally.

of the top 8 most watched clubs 3 of them are expansion clubs. Where as 4 of the bottom 8 are nsw later addition clubs. If anything the addition of nsw clubs seems to have negatively impacted tv audiences.
I am arguing tv value. If the nswrl had its time again I’m sure it would do things a lot differently

Perth Red

Post Whore
I am arguing tv value. If the nswrl had its time again I’m sure it would do things a lot differently
Then why would tv value low drawing clubs over higher drawing clubs? ironically despite having nine clubs, regional nsw and brisbane with their 2.5 clubs draw bigger fta audiences than Sydney.

mongoose

Coach
History doesn't stop being recorded because you drop out of the top tier lol.
yeah but I mean if they had won any NSW cup comps they don't count towards their premiership tally.

Same with the Dolphins, their BRL/QLD cup premierships can't be counted in the NRL.

Wb1234

Referee
The way I see things panning out is the team will be announced next year coming in two years later

the arlc will have the early part of next year to see how competitive the dolphins are

they will also wait for the afl to do their tv deal then piggyback off the back off that, letting them do the hard yards

so if afl gets 470 to 500 million pa vlandys will simply say right that’s what we want too and I’ll give you an extra game as well. Rather than wait till 2027 they will renegotiate the new deal to start in 2025 with nine games and an increase in revenue

this would mean at least 100 million extra in broadcast income against a cost of 16 million leaving a massive profit for the sport

the arlc will keep 20 to 30 million to add to its surplus plus raise the salary cap to around 14 to 15 million per club

the gap in ratings is going to keep getting larger. I can see it topping 30 million between league and afl

MugaB

Coach
The way I see things panning out is the team will be announced next year coming in two years later

the arlc will have the early part of next year to see how competitive the dolphins are

they will also wait for the afl to do their tv deal then piggyback off the back off that, letting them do the hard yards

so if afl gets 470 to 500 million pa vlandys will simply say right that’s what we want too and I’ll give you an extra game as well. Rather than wait till 2027 they will renegotiate the new deal to start in 2025 with nine games and an increase in revenue

this would mean at least 100 million extra in broadcast income against a cost of 16 million leaving a massive profit for the sport

the arlc will keep 20 to 30 million to add to its surplus plus raise the salary cap to around 14 to 15 million per club

the gap in ratings is going to keep getting larger. I can see it topping 30 million between league and afl
Raising the salary cap, doesn't help, we need to reduce it, so that clubs don't over spend and also spread the talent, could you imagine, Penrith and Storm with a 14 million cap? BAJezus!!, hell some clubs don't even spend all of it... better to keep it at around 9 million, this will see the higher profile players move around to other clubs that can pay extra for them, whilst thinning out the stacked clubs

Wb1234

Referee
Raising the salary cap, doesn't help, we need to reduce it, so that clubs don't over spend and also spread the talent, could you imagine, Penrith and Storm with a 14 million cap? BAJezus!!, hell some clubs don't even spend all of it... better to keep it at around 9 million, this will see the higher profile players move around to other clubs that can pay extra for them, whilst thinning out the stacked clubs
Right now clubs gets 16 million from the arlc vs a cap of 9.4 million

I don’t see that gap going down as the cap rises

MugaB

Coach
Right now clubs gets 16 million from the arlc vs a cap of 9.4 million

I don’t see that gap going down as the cap rises
Yes every club gets 14.4 million, 5 million for staff, and 9.4m for the 30 first grade players, that 5 million includes travel too... is perth more expensive to fly to than nz2?

I was talking about specifically the players at 9.4m, it shouldn't be raised, if anything it should be dropped, so that clubs aren't over buying on outside talent, i get that there's players that are worthy of one million, but you can't have too many in one side, not only does it blow your cap, but it means when they are injuried, your replacement are the bargain basement quality in comparison, and you won't win games. Thats why i shake my head when clubs spend close to a million on 2nd rowers, or wingers that say they are fullback..fmd

Wb1234

Referee
Yes every club gets 14.4 million, 5 million for staff, and 9.4m for the 30 first grade players, that 5 million includes travel too... is perth more expensive to fly to than nz2?

I was talking about specifically the players at 9.4m, it shouldn't be raised, if anything it should be dropped, so that clubs aren't over buying on outside talent, i get that there's players that are worthy of one million, but you can't have too many in one side, not only does it blow your cap, but it means when they are injuried, your replacement are the bargain basement quality in comparison, and you won't win games. Thats why i shake my head when clubs spend close to a million on 2nd rowers, or wingers that say they are fullback..fmd
Players are entitled to get a pay rise as the games income goes up

plus the higher the wages the more the nrl can pillage rugby union (not just nz Europe too)

flippikat

Bench
Some Sydney clubs do have undue influence at the arlc that’s true

the roosters primarily then souths. But all the nrl clubs have been pretty united lately about issues

until there’s another pay tv company to take the rights keeping news ltd happy is a smart move

it is what it is
Pay TV? Nah.. the future will be streaming.

age.s

First Grade
Bears >>>>>> Butt Pirates.

And I think it'd be insane not to tap into whatever's left of the latent Bears support in North Sydney. Whether that's a game at NSO or something else idk, but utilising the Bears heritage is biggest strength of a combined bid like this. The NRL would be stupid to waste it.