What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If not Madge, then who?

Crazyperpman

Juniors
As far out as it sounds the Tigers would be the pick of all the vacant coaching positions. A good crop of youngsters coming thru, fair amount of cap yet to be spent and the club is financially viable.

I would suspect the timing of this means there was no preferred replacement available late last year but this has now changed.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out and if the board stuffs things up like they usually do.

WA Tiger

Bench
We all pretty much accepted that 22 was going to be a nothing year. Roster regressed, and no good players coming.
We all knew it, many of us said it right here. '23 was looking far better.
As it turned out, Hastings brought a turnaround in attitude and it showed on field. So we went from a crap box, to a crap box with a mostly improved defence and attitude.
The improvement in our pathetic roster full of sub first graders, was visible.
The gamble now is . . . . the improvement we were showing, vs another fkkng rebuild coz the new coach can't get our lot to play with heart.
Is this our 4th rebuild in a row ?
Good that we somehow keep expecting different outcomes every single time.
Talk to me after the manly game..When the oppressive, muddled messaged spirit of Madge lifts from the team,we have a half guiding the halves, all the coaches are on the same page and everyone’s a lot more centred..

WA Tiger

Bench
I don't understand the timing of it. It should have been done at the end of last season, otherwise he should finish out the year. The only way this makes sense is if the club has another coach lined up that they've been chasing. Otherwise we've just sacked our coach with no other coach lined up & are now one of 3 clubs chasing a new coach. That just doesn't make any sense to me, though this is the tigers we're talking about, so that's probably the position we are in.
The club didn’t have what was needed at the end of last year: A spine or a clue.. Sheens has earned his pay by clarifying things.

Pezz70

Juniors
How many coaches
Lol don't let the door hit you on the way out...

I was 50/50 about Madge remaining or going, but facts are we've regressed terribly during his tenure. Give someone else a go and see if they can pull a rabbit out of a hat, because otherwise we'd just be facing the usual cycle of underachievement
How many coaches are they gonna try? Coaching isn’t the problem, I’m tipping it’s the shit culture, too many white ants running around chewing at the foundations.

Last edited:

Phil Gould

Juniors
I was way off with this one but I’m not too surprised, after this long without improvement someone’s head had to roll. Sheens arriving on the scene was an ominous sign as well. I guess they want to give the new coach half a comp to settle in before having a crack next year, seeing as this year is all over any way you look at it other than mathematically.

Phil Gould

Juniors
Maybe they’ll get nostalgic and have a shared coaching role with both Robbie and Benji running things under sheens?

gordsy

Juniors
How many coaches

How many coaches are they gonna try? Coaching isn’t the problem, I’m tipping it’s the shit culture, too many white ants running around chewing at the foundations, there’s a couple of old guard that need to be run out of town, like f’d right off before this club will go forward.
100% true

Tigerm

First Grade
How many coaches

How many coaches are they gonna try? Coaching isn’t the problem, I’m tipping it’s the shit culture, too many white ants running around chewing at the foundations, there’s a couple of old guard that need to be run out of town, like f’d right off before this club will go forward.
Maybe a winger got his way with his mate the chairman?

Phil Gould

Juniors
I just feel whoever they sign will be a step backwards from Madge but I don’t know what’s going on internally at the club. As WA mentioned, we may get an indication from the teams performance over the next couple of rounds if they’re happy with his sacking or not.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Unless we get Ciraldo, who is generally considered the next great Coach, then this all seems to be a waste of time. Why bother getting rid of Madge if we are just going to replace him with someone similar in Green or Flannagan.

In saying that though I have a feeling Ciraldo will end up closer to Steve Kearney or Garth Brennan than Bellamy so of course we will sign him

The Rosco

Bench
I just feel whoever they sign will be a step backwards from Madge but I don’t know what’s going on internally at the club. As WA mentioned, we may get an indication from the teams performance over the next couple of rounds if they’re happy with his sacking or not.
Will we Phil ?
I mean, we were showing signs generally with the exception of the second half against souffs.
FMD, we have played some inept football over many many years . . . but that second half cost Madge his job.
No, it wasn't the last straw, coz we showed much improvement in the 5 or 6 weeks leading up to that.
I hope we do show signs of significant improvement above and beyond what we built up to over the past couple of months. Not just little glimpses, coz Madge could get those little glimpses out of his donkey roster.
With Madge gone, nothing is holding these rampant stallions back now.
Rampant ! . . hahaha more like white ant.

Vozzy

Juniors
Not sure how much of last year is true with him being close to being sacked. Whether or not it was likely for Tigers to make the 8 this year or not regardless maybe he had other KPIs to hit by this round. One of the main factors would of been the younger players getting better instead are worse or on par than last year like Laurie, Simpkin/s, Seyfarth even Brooks and Nofo are worse players now then when he arrived so even if they had a vision for next year I don't mind them seeing how key young players went an extra year to see. They have been more commited this season or recently but that's not winning games. That's more down to Hastings then Madge. He had the right passion and heart we needed shame it didn't translate to tactics and improvement.

Tiger05

First Grade
I would suspect the timing of this means there was no preferred replacement available late last year but this has now changed.

I was thinking they do it now to give them time to work through the available coaching options. The alternative was interviewing potential coaches while Madge was still under contract.

I assume they are writing this season off or thinking at best a new coach can't push us any lower.

The good thing about where we are now is that we our cap isn't a mess. They are going to have to make good decisions going forward.

Tigerm

First Grade
Not sure how much of last year is true with him being close to being sacked. Whether or not it was likely for Tigers to make the 8 this year or not regardless maybe he had other KPIs to hit by this round. One of the main factors would of been the younger players getting better instead are worse or on par than last year like Laurie, Simpkin/s, Seyfarth even Brooks and Nofo are worse players now then when he arrived so even if they had a vision for next year I don't mind them seeing how key young players went an extra year to see. They have been more commited this season or recently but that's not winning games. That's more down to Hastings then Madge. He had the right passion and heart we needed shame it didn't translate to tactics and improvement.
So, no player ownership for there own performances? Gotcha.

One thing I can say with absolute certainty is that if there are 2 or more options available the senior management and board will pick the wrong one. Isn't this one of the commandments? If it's not it should be.

They'll f**k it front, back and sideways and in every room in the house.

MasterTiger

Juniors
First of all I would like to wish Madge all the best for the future. No doubt in my mind he displayed loyalty to the team and players and tried to his upmost ability to get the club on the rise.
I heard Sheens talking on TV about the game being professional and result driven. I think someone needs to remind the players of this fact.
I have always been of the opinion West Tigers are and should be a development club and not a recruitment club similar to Penrith. We have the nursery in the Macarthur area but we lack some parts of the jigsaw to get to the position Penrith are in.