What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team V Panthers

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
While true, you also can’t help but think Berry would have developed in good club culture and coaching.
He needed a year playing in a good second tier side and that should’ve been this year. Not dumped into a struggling team with a total plodder as his centre partner.
Has probably taken two good years out of the poor bloke’s career.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Completely agree. He was great for periods last year, and his development has been massively hindered by the environment.

It looks like we have a completely inability to teach defensive structures. I feel sorry for the guy - he looks completely at sea. Even DWZ's try, he almost got in Sironen's way.
The only players that seem to thrive in any way with us who weren’t already good are guys who can do it on individual effort because of their positions, basically your Currans and Tevagas who can just go hard on pure workrate, or a Walsh who can do it on talent alone. Even a guy like CHT who has both the physical and mental attributes had taken 3-4 years to get to a point he should’ve been at in 2, and it’s it’s taken so long he’s got sick of footy because of it.

Benek

Juniors
Not sure the Panthers is the best game to debut him, but I'm excited to see how he goes.

Will be interesting to see if it's SJ or CHT that make way for him.

Tongue

Juniors
I’m thinking CHT out.
Volkman interesting body type. Low centre of gravity. Chunky hips and thighs and looks on the shorter side. Reminds me a bit of Lino.

Meth

Staff member

VODAFONE WARRIORS v PENRITH PANTHERS​

Moreton Daily Stadium, Redcliffe
5.30pm, Saturday, June 18

VODAFONE WARRIORS

1 REECE WALSH
2 DALLIN WATENE-ZELEZNIAK
3 JESSE ARTHARS
4 ADAM POMPEY
5 MARCELO MONTOYA
6 RONALD VOLKMAN
7 SHAUN JOHNSON
8 BUNTY AFOA
9 WAYDE EGAN
10 JAZZ TEVAGA
11 JACK MURCHIE
12 TOHU HARRIS (c)
13 JOSH CURRAN

Extended bench:
14 CHANEL HARRIS-TAVITA
15 AARON PENE
16 DUNAMIS LUI
17 BAYLEY SIRONEN
18 FREDDY LUSSICK
20 ELIESA KATOA
21 ROCCO BERRY
22 DAEJARN ASI
23 ADDIN FONUA-BLAKE

So, Berry out. BMM out, injured. AFB on the way back in- probably for Lui, or maybe Pene?

Campion

Juniors
at least it will be exciting to see a new player in young Ronald Volkman. unsure what Asi has done wrong -- would be putting him at centre for Pompey. fairdinkim so slow that i can run faster and i'm a 100kg fat middle aged man

JJ

Immortal
I think SJ is wondering what he has to do to get dropped? Because I sure do.
It is weird, almost seemsbb be like he’s undropable…. He’s hardly an ageing Sterling at the Eels (who despite a bung shoulder and wonky knees was still usually the best on field and doing the defence too)

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I think SJ is wondering what he has to do to get dropped? Because I sure do.
I would imagine Pompey thinks the same thing.

God damnit man. I pride myself on being a positive person as a whole - I used to walk around annoying snot out of people from 2007-11 with my adoration for the Warriors. I don't enjoy doing being down on them. At all.

But Pompey is hopeless. Absolutely without upside. Yet the guy is about to play 50 NRL games. It is symptomatic of where we're at with this club when someone like Adam Pompey, who I don't reckon would dominate ressies, is generally a bolted-on starter for us. Can't particularly pass, doesn't defend well, slow, not a good finisher - about all he is, is reasonably strong in the tackle when he actually either makes contact or is held in contact. There's no chance he becomes NRL standard. And no one's queueing up to sign him. But we play him week in, week out when someone like Asi or Arthurs could be developing, Aitken playing centre etc.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I think SJ is more likely thinking he's glad these other blokes that are weighing him down are getting dropped because he couldn't possibly be the problem.
This is a great post and very likely true. I imagine Shaun would surround himself with sycophants - in fact I know he does, because I saw his 'entourage' posting after the Cows game when we'd won 3 games, and it was like we were on the verge of a premiership.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
FWIW, NRL360 reported Jones is moving Johnson to 6 this week even though he is named in the 7, which would be a big hit to the ego and how he responds will be interesting

Rich102

Staff member
Glad to see Stacey isn't going to rock the boat.
SJ will continue to float along.
If Stacey thinks shuffling the deckchairs and relying on his coaching is going to change things he is in for a big surprise.
#headingforthebottom

Stinkfinger

Juniors
That's the thing isn't it - teams want to be ruthless now, because points diff can make all the difference to their ladder positions. At this stage, Penrith aren't unassailable (they will be) but they won't be happy with 30-6. They're capable of 60, no trouble.
They've looked to have 50 at their mercy several times this year but unlike the Storm take their foot off the pedal when the game is won.