What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RYAN WEBB...Gone Missing ????

denis preston

First Grade
Our beleaguered CEO made the earth shattering comment early in the week that significant signings were imminent .... So far , as usual , Nothing ....
Webb came in like a breath of fresh air and gave us all hope for the future , but slowly but surely the Dragons dinosaur Board rained him in like they have all others . Now he is no better than a public service pencil pusher .
i guess the two we desperately require are a quality , relatively young, with some miles left in his legs , Front Rower and a nippy , agile Hooker that can deliver quality quick ball to the halves ...
He also suggested the possible return of a former player ..wow...we have let so many slip through the net .. who could it be ??
Frizell ..Robson..Garrick..Saab ..D Cook ,,AFB .... of the current listings....
Our juniors are our Future ..Enough of bringing in the , hacks , pensioners and rejects that others dont want ..
Perhaps J maclean (cowboys) Thompson ( dogs) are worth a crack and lets off load the journeyman whom many have been an abject failure
over to you Ryan
Very unfair on Webb considering we know absolutely nothing of what is going on behind the scenes. IMO he shits on Doust and is very professional and very good for the club.

dungay dragon

Juniors
Very unfair on Webb considering we know absolutely nothing of what is going on behind the scenes. IMO he shits on Doust and is very professional and very good for the club.
We all probably have a similar opinion on Peter Doust but he did finish his tenure with two very big credits
1 He did lure Wayne Bennett to the Club
2 We did win a Trophy 2010 ..the first in many a long time
Lets hope Webb gets a free reign by our Board to get every opportunity to turn us into a major force once again .

Brutalitops

Juniors
The football business (and sport business in general) doesn't operate the way angry internet fans think they do. Yes they are results based but results need the time to achieve a trend before they will be acted upon in radical ways such as a coach sacking or the logistical undertaking of a assistant/fitness staff cleanout at the halfway point of a season where we are currently sit just outside the Top 8.

We are on track to finish the season with more wins than any recently and we just shed a tremendous amount of dead weight just last season. I don't think things are perfect yet, but for them to be perfect this quickly you pretty much have to be a glamour club, and it's nice to say we should be, but that's simply not realistic.

As I have said before: the Dragons are finally trending upwards over a sustained period of time. This doesn't mean there won't be dips along the way in that trend, in fact there will be probably a few more this season. Look to the Cowboys ---> Rabbitohs matches as an example of a downward trend being eroded quickly compared to being guaranteed to drop further like we used to

Enjoying watching the team this season and even the losses feel more meaningful than they used to in terms of getting something out of it, such as player data that we know will be reacted to in a better manner than in the past. Big example of this for me is Hook dropping Sloan for Mbye for as long as he did. Incredibly unpopular move (I was very against it) that surely put him under pressure but in my opinion ended up working out pretty valuably for our team. Same goes for the Ramsay switch and recent use of rotating hookers.

Bring on the Raiders

Yow

Juniors
The football business (and sport business in general) doesn't operate the way angry internet fans think they do. Yes they are results based but results need the time to achieve a trend before they will be acted upon in radical ways such as a coach sacking or the logistical undertaking of a assistant/fitness staff cleanout at the halfway point of a season where we are currently sit just outside the Top 8.

We are on track to finish the season with more wins than any recently and we just shed a tremendous amount of dead weight just last season. I don't think things are perfect yet, but for them to be perfect this quickly you pretty much have to be a glamour club, and it's nice to say we should be, but that's simply not realistic.

As I have said before: the Dragons are finally trending upwards over a sustained period of time. This doesn't mean there won't be dips along the way in that trend, in fact there will be probably a few more this season. Look to the Cowboys ---> Rabbitohs matches as an example of a downward trend being eroded quickly compared to being guaranteed to drop further like we used to

Enjoying watching the team this season and even the losses feel more meaningful than they used to in terms of getting something out of it, such as player data that we know will be reacted to in a better manner than in the past. Big example of this for me is Hook dropping Sloan for Mbye for as long as he did. Incredibly unpopular move (I was very against it) that surely put him under pressure but in my opinion ended up working out pretty valuably for our team. Same goes for the Ramsay switch and recent use of rotating hookers.

Bring on the Raiders
Good post Brutial

Lawman

Juniors
We all probably have a similar opinion on Peter Doust but he did finish his tenure with two very big credits
Lets hope Webb gets a free reign by our Board to get every opportunity to turn us into a major force once again .
Bennett fell into to Doust's lap,after the Roosters stuffed up.Bennett wanted 5 Years,but our Fearless Leader said no- only 3 years.The rest is history- thanks to Doust- Price and Mary - both flops a the Dragons for many years.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

Bring on the Raiders
Great post Brut well written and spot on in every aspect.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Webb is not the sole person who makes the recruitment decision. There is a team of 4, who discuss re-signing and signings, those being: Webb, Haran, Hook and the mysterious Salary cap guy.

I have no doubt targets are discussed and some are discarded simply because of the SC, the 'prospects pool' and the 'reserve pool'. It's nowhere near black and white and some may think. It's why also we are leaning more to T&T contracts rather than DS contracts.

At the end of the day we haven't yet 'officially' filled our roster for '22 yet alone look at '23. We can speculate for sure and Webb, for example, cannot reveal anything until the player in question agrees to term, signs the contract and then that contract is approved by the NRL.

Re-signings are very tricky negotiations, as Player Managers seek to get the best deal for their client. Loyalty doesn't seem to be much in vogue these days and the media is always the bearer of bad news, even if that news is unsubstantiated, because simply it gets people to read and believe it, and that in turn creates discussions on forums, such as ours, that have to reference said 'news'.

Webb is doing a great job, yes a great job, our Club will again return a profit, which holds us in good stead in future years. The COE being built in Woollongong is an outstanding achievement, something I thought would never happen under the previous regime. Yes, there are some things that still need attention, our website for one, but I'm more confident of our Club's future than any time over the last 10 years.

Dragon David

First Grade
Webb is not the sole person who makes the recruitment decision. There is a team of 4, who discuss re-signing and signings, those being: Webb, Haran, Hook and the mysterious Salary cap guy.

I have no doubt targets are discussed and some are discarded simply because of the SC, the 'prospects pool' and the 'reserve pool'. It's nowhere near black and white and some may think. It's why also we are leaning more to T&T contracts rather than DS contracts.

At the end of the day we haven't yet 'officially' filled our roster for '22 yet alone look at '23. We can speculate for sure and Webb, for example, cannot reveal anything until the player in question agrees to term, signs the contract and then that contract is approved by the NRL.

Re-signings are very tricky negotiations, as Player Managers seek to get the best deal for their client. Loyalty doesn't seem to be much in vogue these days and the media is always the bearer of bad news, even if that news is unsubstantiated, because simply it gets people to read and believe it, and that in turn creates discussions on forums, such as ours, that have to reference said 'news'.

Webb is doing a great job, yes a great job, our Club will again return a profit, which holds us in good stead in future years. The COE being built in Woollongong is an outstanding achievement, something I thought would never happen under the previous regime. Yes, there are some things that still need attention, our website for one, but I'm more confident of our Club's future than any time over the last 10 years.
Very good post and always appreciate you imparting a lot of behind the scenes details for us Dragonslayer. I would agree that the club's future is looking much better.

jak

Bench

great post mate.

blacksafake

First Grade

Good post as usual @Dragonslayer

possm

Coach
No credit due for Doust!
1. Ran the Club into the ground during his tenure as CEO.
2. Refused Bennett's request for a 5-year contract worth 750k p/a and instead gave him a 3-year deal.
3. Produced for sale 2009 grand final winning shirts.
4. Along with Craig Young, he failed to secure Bennett for a second head coaching stint.
5. Was the Kingmaker in all the backroom deals between old boys from Illawarra and St George.
6. Short-changed the Dragons in the deal made with WIN Corp.

dungay dragon

Juniors
No credit due for Doust!
2. Refused Bennett's request for a 5-year contract worth 750k p/a and instead gave him a 3-year deal.
4. Along with Craig Young, he failed to secure Bennett for a second head coaching stint.
5. Was the Kingmaker in all the backroom deals between old boys from Illawarra and St George.
certainly not sticking up for him , but he will always be credited with the above points
the 50 % sale to Win by him and his Board stank to high heaven and was hardly questioned at the time

Rod Coil

Juniors
No credit due for Doust!
100% Possm. Unfortunately Doust is still alive & very active behind the scenes pulling Craig Young’s strings. Ryan Webb is aware but unable to address directly.

mickeylane

Bench

No player worth over $300k a season is discussed ...that will require a full board meeting and a chook raffle to see who could donate for any third party contributions...lets be serious this club holds no attraction to any worth while footballer....zero!! just ask ....Kikau, Hetherington, Hynes, Finucane etc....no ones coming ....directionless, rudderless club...no leadership no nothing!! Frank Facer would be turning in his grave..

to_ddeath

Coach

Am yet to be convinced of this but thanks for the post

denis preston

First Grade
No player worth over $300k a season is discussed ...that will require a full board meeting and a chook raffle to see who could donate for any third party contributions...lets be serious this club holds no attraction to any worth while footballer....zero!! just ask ....Kikau, Hetherington, Hynes, Finucane etc....no ones coming ....directionless, rudderless club...no leadership no nothing!! Frank Facer would be turning in his grave..
Or glad he worked in a era where the biggest registered club in Australia was his plaything to buy whoever he wanted. Working with NRL hand outs , sponsorships & 3rd party would really test Frank today.

Walpole

Juniors
Or glad he worked in a era where the biggest registered club in Australia was his plaything to buy whoever he wanted. Working with NRL hand outs , sponsorships & 3rd party would really test Frank today.
yes, and that whole salary cap thing might have been a problem - wonder how he would have gone fitting the likes of Raper, Gasnier, Langlands, Provan etc under the cap

Inisai Toga

Juniors
He would have adapted! Read ‘Never Before Never Again’ and you see the culture that existed in the club. Agree, there are greater challenges today, but imo the great players and/or administrators adjust accordingly to the times. Imo, it’s frightening to think how good Raper, Langlands and Gasnier would have been playing in the current era and the wide space and ordinary defence that is afforded the attacking players in the game today. Similarly, I feel Facer would have worked things out and still been a huge influence.

Last edited:

Trifili13

Juniors
yes, and that whole salary cap thing might have been a problem - wonder how he would have gone fitting the likes of Raper, Gasnier, Langlands, Provan etc under the cap
Probably would have given them a few Keith Lord vouchers from up the road from the Leagues club like Storm is alleged to have provided to some of its players with a national retailer. Free use of the company boat on the Georges River. FF could have had a round of golf at Beverley Park GC with the players. You just have to think outside the square.