What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of origin series

mxlegend99

Referee
Walsh was nothing but bomb and hope
And our roster was full of kick chase options. f**k that was an amazing side for turning nothing kicks into something kicks:

Michael Gordon, Lachlan Coote, Michael Jennings, Brad Tighe, David Simmons, Sandor Earl and Adrian Purtell all had either pace or size or aerial ability to contest kicks. Just every kick became a contest and the second it's a contest you're 50/50 to get a result.

In our pack we had Luke Lewis, Gavin Cooper, Nathan Smith and Frank Pritchard who were all great at kick chases and competing in the air also.

Bomb and hope was about as dangerous as we could hope to be with that roster to be honest.

Iamback

Coach
And our roster was full of kick chase options. f**k that was an amazing side for turning nothing kicks into something kicks:

Michael Gordon, Lachlan Coote, Michael Jennings, Brad Tighe, David Simmons, Sandor Earl and Adrian Purtell all had either pace or size or aerial ability to contest kicks. Just every kick became a contest and the second it's a contest you're 50/50 to get a result.

In our pack we had Luke Lewis, Gavin Cooper, Nathan Smith and Frank Pritchard who were all great at kick chases and competing in the air also.

Bomb and hope was about as dangerous as we could hope to be with that roster to be honest.

That is it. Coote was a weapon at getting to those kicks

betcats

Referee
Via a kicking game.

I remember Walsh getting many try assists only via kicks and the hate he got..

How this forum has changed

Walsh got hate becuase he wouldnt take on the line, he wouldnt even engage the line before passing, he is a world away from Matt Burton, nothing to do with the forum changing.

Burton is shaping up to be great, not saying he is better than anyone or that we should've kept him over Luai but he looks like he has a great chance at being something special, the whole RL world can see it except for some penrith fans.

Girds89

Bench
All they hype round nath last night. Clearly deserved.

But i think hes mate in the 6 has been all class this series. Again last night, he didnt over play his hand in attack. He knew when to give it early, knew when to let burto chime in. And the try he scored was absolutley first class.

He has copped a fair bit of criticism at times bit i think hes been really good this year.

Nathan is on track to be an immortal.. if he can stay fit he will play 30 origins amd hopefully deliver sustained success to panthers..

Yeo was very very good last night one of nsws best i thought..

Api was terrific. He allowed cook that freshness to be effective.

Brian was awesome. So strong..

Liam was also strong. Didnt see as much ball in attack on the right but i think freddie likes him in the team because he is just such a hard hitter and reliable defender.

Not sure the knocking of critta is warranted. The try down his side nsw just were never numbered up and were a man down. Critta was covering gagai and ponga and ponga dummied back on the inside which just held critta up for a split second which was enough to get round him.

Other than that i thought he was pretty good.. he shouldve had two try assists!!

And ex panther burto i thought was really good. Love his kicks..need to see more of it early in game 3.

Im not convinced yet 6 is his best spot. Hes a super player but i just need to see more from him with ball in hand setting up players at the dogs. He lacks a bit of creativity atm. But he is a talent no doubt. Happy he killed it on debut.

Some tough calls for freddie to make.

mxlegend99

Referee
Walsh got hate becuase he wouldnt take on the line, he wouldnt even engage the line before passing, he is a world away from Matt Burton, nothing to do with the forum changing.

Burton is shaping up to be great, not saying he is better than anyone or that we should've kept him over Luai but he looks like he has a great chance at being something special, the whole RL world can see it except for some penrith fans.
Walsh refused to run or be tackled. Rarely ever put his body on the line in defence either.

What makes Nathan great is he will cop hits to give people a better opportunity. In any game of footy he has ever played he has probably put his body on the line more times than Walsh did in his entire career.

Girds89

Bench

No panthers fans have ever doubted hes a special talent??

Thinking 6 might not be his best spot is a completley different issue. I hope he can really kill it in the 6. But all the best footy his played so far has been in the centres.

But he has plenty of time so we shall see over the next few years i guess how he develops his ball playing skills.

Iamback

Coach

Where has anyone said he won't be special?

The question is where will he be special. Ivan might be right and he ends up in the backrow.

He has won a premiership now played Origin as a centre. Maybe that is his home

The fact is he is 22. Has some development to do because he missed out on a whole season in 2020 at playing in the halves

Iamback

Coach

Thinking 6 might not be his best spot is a completley different issue. I hope he can really kill it in the 6. But all the best footy his played so far has been in the centres.

But he has plenty of time so we shall see over the next few years i guess how he develops his ball playing skills.

That is it. I haven't heard anyone say he isn't talented. Just where is he best suited to play

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

Exactly. Burton IS a special talent. Is he the BEST fit for Penrith at 5/8th. No I don't believe so.

Burton plays too similar to Cleary to be a wonderful fit. Luai and Cleary though a match made in heaven.

betcats

Referee

I meant special as five eighth, His best footy has been at centre because he played there for a us and for nsw last night in a dominant win. There is only so much a half can do playing in a side that is getting dominated, look at the difference is Clearys game 1 and game 2 performances. When the dogs have played well this year he has been their best every time.

betcats

Referee
That is it. I haven't heard anyone say he isn't talented. Just where is he best suited to play

Like i just said to Girds I meant special as a 6, nowhere else besides this forum is it questioned whether he should be playing in the halves. He is an out and out running five eighth who is good enough and big enough to be a star in a number of positions. Playing him in the centres last year and last night made sense because you want a guy with his abilities in the side but no one is talking about moving him to the back row now he is far to good for that.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I meant special as five eighth, His best footy has been at centre because he played there for a us and for nsw last night in a dominant win. There is only so much a half can do playing in a side that is getting dominated, look at the difference is Clearys game 1 and game 2 performances. When the dogs have played well this year he has been their best every time.

No arguement from me.

Luai (I believe) is a more complete fit for Cleary than Burton is.

Munky

Coach
Walsh refused to run or be tackled. Rarely ever put his body on the line in defence either.

What makes Nathan great is he will cop hits to give people a better opportunity. In any game of footy he has ever played he has probably put his body on the line more times than Walsh did in his entire career.

Walsh used to jump backwards after passing the ball short.

Would get called forward every time due to him being well behind the ball when it was caught.

Iamback

Coach
Like i just said to Girds I meant special as a 6, nowhere else besides this forum is it questioned whether he should be playing in the halves. He is an out and out running five eighth who is good enough and big enough to be a star in a number of positions. Playing him in the centres last year and last night made sense because you want a guy with his abilities in the side but no one is talking about moving him to the back row now he is far to good for that.

Because the sample size is too small for a 6.

Girds89

Bench
True!

But even the last gane for the dogs they won by heaps and i dont think he had a single try or line break assist.

Hes a great ball runner and kicker but the creativity side of his game still needs a lot of development.

Iamback

Coach
Looking at pure stats. I will disregard kicking because he is the only 6 I can think of that is their sides 1st choice kicker. Lets go with the Origin 6's and NZ Brown that are the top 3 in the comp

Tries

Dylan Brown 7
Munster 7
Luai 6
Burton 3

Try Assists

Luai 12
Munster 12
Burton 10
Brown 8

Possessions per game (Is good to see how they go with limited ball)

Munster 50
Burton 44
Brown 42
Luai 37

Linebreaks

Brown 12
Munster 11
Luai 6
Burton 4

Tackle busts

Munster 53
Brown 49
Luai 38
Burton 34

Errors

Burton 23
Munster 10
Brown 7
Luai 7

So while he is developing and we won't see his best for a couple of seasons. The small sample size we have there are areas he is behind the best

Pomoz

Bench

Jesus MX, I'm still in therapy after the ME years, don't bring up the "Panther Lost Years" again. The words "pace" and "Purtell" in the same sentence is an interesting combination I haven't seen before. Purtell run down the wing so slowly, Fox used to speed up replays of his tries to x 1.5 so they had time to view them before the kick for goal.

With "Begby" Burns at 6 starting fights and "Kim Jong-Un" Walsh at 7 launching missiles, the Panther Lost Years should remain just that. Lost.

mxlegend99

Referee
Jesus MX, I'm still in therapy after the ME years, don't bring up the "Panther Lost Years" again. The words "pace" and "Purtell" in the same sentence is an interesting combination I haven't seen before. Purtell run down the wing so slowly, Fox used to speed up replays of his tries to x 1.5 so they had time to view them before the kick for goal.

With "Begby" Burns at 6 starting fights and "Kim Jong-Un" Walsh at 7 launching missiles, the Panther Lost Years should remain just that. Lost.
Purtell was the size. Definitely not pace. LMAO. Pace was Tighe, Jennings and Gordon.

Latest posts