What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of origin series

BxTom

Bench
I too thought that Teddy killed the ball several times. I'm glad to see that others thought so too. Listening to the 'commentary' team, you would think Teddy won it all by himself. Sooner they get rid of Andrew Johns the better.

Smug Panther

First Grade
I too thought that Teddy killed the ball several times. I'm glad to see that others thought so too. Listening to the 'commentary' team, you would think Teddy won it all by himself. Sooner they get rid of Andrew Johns the better.
Played like the bad version of Edwards

Iamback

Coach
I wouldn’t underestimate the value of the metres Teddy made in the first half. The outside backs for QLD were up very quick all night, and Teddy using his fast feet back through the ruck made a lot of metres at the time when the game was in the balance.

I’ve been a critic of Teddy in the past, but today I thought he was one of the blues best (generally they were all good, but Cleary, Paulo and the back three the standouts for me).

They adapted to a Penrith style. The metres he made was a huge part of that

But game 1 he got in the way of anything good that the right was trying to do.

Was the same in the 1st half last night.

NSW is getting to the stage where actual centres demand selection. Lets not forget Papenhuyzen being injured.

Over the next season or 2. Some tough calls will have to be made on him. Given his age too

Iamback

Coach
Well it won't be Tom Turbo this year. Mitchell will come in for Crighton. Burton will stay at centre.

Wighton was NSW best in game 1. Is a left side player
Burton is only left side

So be interesting which way Freddy goes

Mitchell won't come in off only 1 game.

Next year is the hard decisions really.

I doubt game 3 squad is changed. Aside from Wighton hopefully on the bench

mxlegend99

Referee
Everyone was raving about Manu for new Zealand because he made a few hundred metres. I thought he was one of the Kiwis worst in that game. All i saw was a ball hog looking to boost his stats. Bombed a try with a selfish barge over attempt off one linebreak. Off another tgat he set up in a rare pass he then runs straight into defence allowing the defensive line to reset and killing momentum. Multiple times he ran it he had support he could use and just kicked for himself.

Tedesco played similar last night. Though he did try to involve more players than Manu. Im not sure whether its a confidence thing in his passing or what. But going back to when he was new to the NSW side i remember him killing attacking sets by not distributing the ball once he got it too. He really is just Edwards at the moment now. Arguably with worse ball playing.

Just reminds me of Paul Gallen when players do that. Tedesco should realise his passes can be shit. Go forward even and the referee will probably miss it. Just throw the pass.

Iamback

Coach
Everyone was raving about Manu for new Zealand because he made a few hundred metres. I thought he was one of the Kiwis worst in that game. All i saw was a ball hog looking to boost his stats. Bombed a try with a selfish barge over attempt off one linebreak. Off another tgat he set up in a rare pass he then runs straight into defence allowing the defensive line to reset and killing momentum. Multiple times he ran it he had support he could use and just kicked for himself.

Tedesco played similar last night. Though he did try to involve more players than Manu. Im not sure whether its a confidence thing in his passing or what. But going back to when he was new to the NSW side i remember him killing attacking sets by not distributing the ball once he got it too. He really is just Edwards at the moment now. Arguably with worse ball playing.

Just reminds me of Paul Gallen when players do that. Tedesco should realise his passes can be shit. Go forward even and the referee will probably miss it. Just throw the pass.

Manu was more like Edwards. Atleast went straight that leaves the option to go the short side.

Teddy was stepping back to where the ball came from and the whole set ends there

Munky

Coach
NSW started playing Penrith ball and it showed complete with dysfunctional right side attack, Cleary had his best game since vs the Roosters during the Origin period last year. Ditching Sims also made an impact, he got caught easily on early shifts in Game one. Game two they were able to shift to Burton and To'o who will always make metres against a retreating or sliding defence and get a good play the ball. It's a key play for Penrith coming out of our own end and NSW were able to emulate it (maybe due to our starting GF side making up that edge).

Burton will be a ten year Origin player, his ability to put the ball seventy metres downfield means every set can be considered an average one at worst. I'm happy Freddy was reading my post in the Dogs vs Parra gameday thread:

Probably only the second time I've been right in recent years in regard to team selections.

Sime_11

Juniors

it must be a NSW Captain thing - just get your hog on the ball as much as possible, no wonder why Teddy & Gal get 200+ metres - they only need 25-30 possessions.... Teddy is good but his tackle busting is not as good as it once was.

Take notice when Teddy struggles to make origin, the Chooks will move him on, his days are numbered in a NSW jersey.

Burton is safe, the only saving grace for Crichton is he plays right centre and the Penrith connection. Logical game 3 choice is Wighton comes onto the bench for Talakai.

Munky

Coach

Manu was a bit off but generally at club level always makes the right decision.

Teddy's X factor came from being able to explode through tackles with great acceleration. He is still bouncing off them but no longer goes through the other side.

What made Slater great was how he evolved his game from pure speed to a good ball player. It'll be interesting to see if Teddy realises he's lost the explosiveness and adapts his game and improves his passing. Uncle Nick won't wait long to pull the trigger if he doesn't evolve next season.

Iamback

Coach
it must be a NSW Captain thing - just get your hog on the ball as much as possible, no wonder why Teddy & Gal get 200+ metres - they only need 25-30 possessions.... Teddy is good but his tackle busting is not as good as it once was.

Take notice when Teddy struggles to make origin, the Chooks will move him on, his days are numbered in a NSW jersey.

Burton is safe, the only saving grace for Crichton is he plays right centre and the Penrith connection. Logical game 3 choice is Wighton comes onto the bench for Talakai.

That should of been Wighton's role in game 1.

Crichton got better as the game went on. Great chase to get a repeat set. The move with Paulo was awesome shame it was called back and the try assist at the end. Had to do a bit in defence and except for that one poor miss was decent enough.

That said. With everyone available next season he will miss out but at 22. His time will come

mxlegend99

Referee
That should of been Wighton's role in game 1.

Crichton got better as the game went on. Great chase to get a repeat set. The move with Paulo was awesome shame it was called back and the try assist at the end. Had to do a bit in defence and except for that one poor miss was decent enough.

That said. With everyone available next season he will miss out but at 22. His time will come
The pass was flat at worst. Compared to Ponga throwing it to a guy who was already infront of him... really insane to take that try away from Crichton considering what was let go for Queensland.

Thankfully it didn't matter in the end. Although we could have hit 50.

Iamback

Coach
The pass was flat at worst. Compared to Ponga throwing it to a guy who was already infront of him... really insane to take that try away from Crichton considering what was let go for Queensland.

Thankfully it didn't matter in the end. Although we could have hit 50.

I struggled to see a forward pass there.

Still a few good touches is a good confidence builder for him

betcats

Referee
The pass to Paulo was fine, bad call there. My thoughts on some of the discussion here, I thought Teddy was great, easily our second best after Nathan. Burton was great playing centre and the idea that he isnt a five eighth is crazy to me, he is going to be a great 6 he is already well on his way despite being held back by a shitty dogs team, whenever he is available on the market he will get crazy money thrown at him to play 6 its blindingly obvious how good he is and will be. Api was unlucky not to get back on the field for a second stint. Bizza was awesome he is hitting his peak form again for penrith and the blues over the last month.

Iamback

Coach
The pass to Paulo was fine, bad call there. My thoughts on some of the discussion here, I thought Teddy was great, easily our second best after Nathan. Burton was great playing centre and the idea that he isnt a five eighth is crazy to me, he is going to be a great 6 he is already well on his way despite being held back by a shitty dogs team, whenever he is available on the market he will get crazy money thrown at him to play 6 its blindingly obvious how good he is and will be. Api was unlucky not to get back on the field for a second stint. Bizza was awesome he is hitting his peak form again for penrith and the blues over the last month.

I have yet to see Burton put someone into a gap. Or throw a cut out so the jury is still out on his as a 6.

Class player though

betcats

Referee
I have yet to see Burton put someone into a gap. Or throw a cut out so the jury is still out on his as a 6.

Class player though

Ive seen him do both mate, he is getting a lot less chances at the dogs but he can do it. No doubt his strengths are running and kicking but this doesnt mean he isnt a 6.

Smug Panther

First Grade
He only has one weapon at the Dogs in the Fox and he's making it work. Such a stud

Iamback

Coach
Ive seen him do both mate, he is getting a lot less chances at the dogs but he can do it. No doubt his strengths are running and kicking but this doesnt mean he isnt a 6.

No but until he does it consistently then he is yet to be proven as a 6. That is where the not a 6 comments are coming from

mxlegend99

Referee
Here's something to think about. Andrew Johns is the best #7 NSW has ever seen. Yet he only played halfback in 6 Series...and we only won 2 out of those 6 with him.

1995 - Lost
1998 - Lost
1999 - Draw
2002 - Draw
2003 - Win
2005 - Win

His other series he participated in were at hooker or on the bench.

1996 - Hooker - Win
1997 - Hooker - Win
2000 - Bench - Win

Nathan still has people saying he shouldn't be in the team despite having achieved more success at 7 than even Joey did for NSW. 3 wins from 4 series. Potentially 4 from 5.

Not saying he's better than Joey. But what other #7 has been part of so much success and still had his credentials questioned? You would think Nathan has the same record as Mitchell Pearce in Origin. Who the f**k else is there to pick? Moses? The same guy who came in to the most dominant NSW side ever replacing Cleary only to get them a loss?