What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 19 Vs Sharks

I watched the game live after now watching the replay the Moylan try was no try he was short .
Agreed. The fact he struggled relentlessly to break free to put it down was a clear indication that he was short initially. Can’t believe it was given and then confirmed so quickly.

kinghippo

Juniors
T
Really dont get the salmon kenny hate again. Every week they cop it lol.

Salmon was on there for 10mins... barely enough time to do anything. Yes he probs shouldnt be on the bench. Id prefer someone else... but he really doesnt do much wrong when he comes on.

Kenny had a dumb mistake on 1... other than that playing a middle forward role he was ok. For a tiny bloke he basically never gets put on his back. And having him a api on together really sures up our middle defence and helps keep up our line speed. 65 odd meters and 20 odd tackles in hes short time on.

Yeah kennys not api. Never will be close. But he is doing a job.

Im not saying we will be fine with kenny replacing api.... we certainly wont. I just dont get the hate for them.

For the most part they do what they have to. Kenny was good last week and set up the winning try when the rest of the team didnt look like scoring.
The Kenny error and the penalty was whilst the game was in the balance and nearly cost us.

He gives away plenty of penalties for Ruck infringements every week and is usually pinged for offside a couple of times.
I couldn’t disagree more with your idea he shores up the defence whilst api is on, it’s the exact opposite.
He is fine in attack but and as a defender in the middle he is a target, every forward aims for him, they get over the top and get quick play the balls after.
Watch his interactions again from last night, sharks marched straight up the field after his error and penalty and targeted him in the line with a lot of success.
It didn’t cost us due to the scramble in the squad but it will if not addressed.
Kenny tackles ok but he isn’t putting forwards on their backs and opposition ruck speed seems to improve when he is on.
He is better when api is off the field and he is in position because he gets more help from the bigger guys.
My dislike for Kenny and to an extent Salmon is how we use them, not for their individual skill sets which are adequate.
Kenny often finds himself playing at prop which is crazy and to me It’s been a very obvious problem a few times this season. He may be fine as a number 9 with the right players next to him but out of position he remains a liability.

chrisD

Coach
We are below average under high balls and it's not going to change, we are just going to have to make up for it in every other department.

Kenny makes it hard to root for him, could have lost us the game. Cleary was handily outkicked by Hynes, our back 3 had to contend with more pressure than theirs, and Cleary wasn't particularly great otherwise. JFH got dominated at times. Kikau was amazing, even without a rest, which he should get.

We let in 10 scrappy points, then the conditions worsened and we clawed back 8 and then they got better and we put on 20. So 20 unanswered points in those conditions against maybe the next best?

Our intensity grew as the game went and we were where we should be by the end of it. But the slow start may have just been us being careful in the conditions, our backs can't really full steam onto the ball and fight whole heartedly in the tackle when the ball is like soap.

Girds89

Bench
You need to watch the game again. No Nathan and we don't win.
Of course we dont. Falls or sos wouldnt of got it done. He is intergral to our team... hes our 7 and csptain. We need him against the good teams.

Difference is falls and sos are on minimums. Nathans on 1.1 million. Off all the times this year in games for us and the blues when we have been under the pump nathan has been slow or reluctant to change the game plan.

He seems so locked in on the mid field bombathon. No idea why??? He is a very good long kicker. The 3 or 4 long kicks he did last night when we had bit of momentum were brilliant..

Im not saying hes playing bad. He was good last night. But it was tough goimg at the start and he didnt try anything different to swing momentum. Same in origin.. dce burned the blues in origin with brilliant early kicks. It killed the blues

I just feel when we are under the pump a bit he can do a bit more to relieve pressure. Its all great that hes staying calm and all but that doesnt help us swing momentum.

Api played off the back of spencer and soros runs and really got things kicking in to gear. I thought he was easily our best over the 80.

Nath had a good last 40 to 50 mins.

Girds89

Bench
T

The Kenny error and the penalty was whilst the game was in the balance and nearly cost us.

He gives away plenty of penalties for Ruck infringements every week and is usually pinged for offside a couple of times.
I couldn’t disagree more with your idea he shores up the defence whilst api is on, it’s the exact opposite.
He is fine in attack but and as a defender in the middle he is a target, every forward aims for him, they get over the top and get quick play the balls after.
Watch his interactions again from last night, sharks marched straight up the field after his error and penalty and targeted him in the line with a lot of success.
It didn’t cost us due to the scramble in the squad but it will if not addressed.
Kenny tackles ok but he isn’t putting forwards on their backs and opposition ruck speed seems to improve when he is on.
He is better when api is off the field and he is in position because he gets more help from the bigger guys.
My dislike for Kenny and to an extent Salmon is how we use them, not for their individual skill sets which are adequate.
Kenny often finds himself playing at prop which is crazy and to me It’s been a very obvious problem a few times this season. He may be fine as a number 9 with the right players next to him but out of position he remains a liability.
What a load of bs..

Kenny is a very very good defender..

Girds89

Bench
@kinghippo

Kenny tackles at a better rate that api who is the best defensive 9 in the comp..

Kenny 93.2%
Api 92%.

Yeah api plays the 80 every week and kenny often not. But hes a brilliant defender.

Kenny 2022 avgs
Error ever 133mins
Penalty every 105mins
Avg 28mins a game
Tackles 93.2%

So your talking crap. 5 penalties and 4 errors in 19 games...

Want to know who gives away penalties for the panthers @kinghippo

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220724-093557_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220724-093557_Samsung Internet.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 15

mxlegend99

Referee
I honestly don't get how anyone can think Nathan wasn't our best last night. His kicking game and patience to execute our game plan is what won us the game.

We had too many guys starting to get a bit erratic trying to make stuff happen when we had plenty of time left. Nathan kept settling us and getting us back into the grind where we wrestled our way on top.

He knew Sharks couldn't go with us for 80 minutes like they did if we trusted our game plan. It wasn't until we had kenny and Salmon both on that I was worried we couldn't get it done to be honest.

Nathan took runs when he knew we needed to generate quick play the balls to play off the back of. Something he's seriously underrated for is his ability to create something on his next play when there's nothing available on the current one. His teammates were getting slow play the balls so he got us momentum to score off with a fast one.

His kicks really swung momentum too. A couple of forced drop outs. Getting us the ball back from one of our drop outs. Slowly wrestled territory away from Sharks who dominated it completely early on.

Api was great too. But Nathan was the one settling our team down and making sure we stuck to and trusted our game plan.

Iamback

Coach
WTF are people watching? Nathan MotM? His decision making was awful most of the game. Several awful bombs reminiscent of SOO3. Took a wrong option many times including several Tackled on 5th runs. Didn’t take the kick to go up 16-10. We looked disorganised for most of the game.

What I can say about Nathan is that his defence was awesome all game, forcing several knock ons, his short kicking game was good and he got better as the game progressed…but let’s not beat around the bush here…he and the team were carried by API’s game play tonight.

It has been the case all year. He has been down on previous years, that is why we are predictable. Teams know what he is going to do and as such can shut down the right side very easily.

On the flip side for me that short drop out into touch was his best play of the night. Actually showed some eyes up footy for a change

WestyLife

First Grade
I honestly don't get how anyone can think Nathan wasn't our best last night. His kicking game and patience to execute our game plan is what won us the game.

We had too many guys starting to get a bit erratic trying to make stuff happen when we had plenty of time left. Nathan kept settling us and getting us back into the grind where we wrestled our way on top.

He knew Sharks couldn't go with us for 80 minutes like they did if we trusted our game plan. It wasn't until we had kenny and Salmon both on that I was worried we couldn't get it done to be honest.

Nathan took runs when he knew we needed to generate quick play the balls to play off the back of. Something he's seriously underrated for is his ability to create something on his next play when there's nothing available on the current one. His teammates were getting slow play the balls so he got us momentum to score off with a fast one.

His kicks really swung momentum too. A couple of forced drop outs. Getting us the ball back from one of our drop outs. Slowly wrestled territory away from Sharks who dominated it completely early on.

Api was great too. But Nathan was the one settling our team down and making sure we stuck to and trusted our game plan.

This. He was so much better than origin 3 it's laughable.

Blues Riff

Bench
H

His ear is split he is off to see a plastic surgeon why risk playing him.you called for players being rested .We are 10 points clear no use risking further injury
Plus the way his head hit the ground. He was dazed and dribbling.
He aint playing next week.

Iamback

Coach
This. He was so much better than origin 3 it's laughable.

Both were very similar games. Merely following the game plan.

Last night was a pass given the circumstances. In the next month we play Parra, Storm and Souths... We are going to need to offer more then a 7 following the game plan. Teams know our game plan and will shut it down