What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

• Yes

Votes: 106 49.3%
  • No

Votes: 109 50.7%

• Total voters

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Why didn’t they keep Stuart and Fittler on then?
Stuart missed the finals two years in a row. That's a massive failure for a club that big. Fittler's record was also poor after a decent start. If an owner is tipping that much cash into a club they expect to make the finals more than half the time.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
His assistants in his first season was Jason Taylor and Paul Green.

He has since rotated others through staff to bring fresh ideas, including Craig Fitzgibbon, Matt King, Nathan Cayless, Adam O'Brien, Jason Ryles to name a few all as full time senior assistants.

Bellamy has rotated Seibold, Ryles, Kearney, O'Brien, Mark Brentnall among others in the time BA has been at Parra.

In those 9 years BA has had Murphy, Gentle and Kidwell, and then only Carr for the last couple of months.
Blokes who are happy to be assistants at the Roosters and Storm won't come to Parra for anything less than the head coaching job. Do you reckon we could prise Ciraldo away from the Panthers to be our defence coach? Not on your f**king life.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
BA had DA on board as his HOF or whatever the role was to help lessen the burden/responsibility but didn't warm to it at all and froze DA and his staff out from what I heard. Seems content to run his own race and not bother with assistance from anyone he perceives as a threat. M'oN as our current HoF is no threat in terms of coaching aspirations so I'm sure that has provided its own stability
Sure but here you are again thinking Brad Arthur runs the club.

hindy111

Post Whore
Blokes who are happy to be assistants at the Roosters and Storm won't come to Parra for anything less than the head coaching job. Do you reckon we could prise Ciraldo away from the Panthers to be our defence coach? Not on your f**king life.

You asked a question and then answered it. That's a very strange thing to do. You could of just said
We wouldn't be able to get Ciraldo unless it was a head coach role. Anyhows carry on. I just wanted to point it out.
I mean it's something Jewish people do.

Are you from Israel?

lucablight

First Grade
Because I'm talking about long term trends, not a single lucky (e.g. Sharks 2016) or unlucky (e.g. Roosters 2016) season. If you want to cherry pick examples, the Bulldogs sacked Hasler and the Cowboys sacked Green and both clubs went downhill. The Roosters sacked Stuart four years after winning the comp and they didn't win again for seven years.
How did the Cowboys go downhill? They’re coming second on the ladder. The Bulldogs went downhill because they made poor decisions. They also made two grand finals while Hasler was there. Something Brad Arthur has currently failed to do. There are no guarantees sacking the coach is going to make a team better but it beats remaining at the status quo. Also 7 years between competitions isn’t that long. A lot of teams that kill for that.

Stuart missed the finals two years in a row. That's a massive failure for a club that big. Fittler's record was also poor after a decent start. If an owner is tipping that much cash into a club they expect to make the finals more than half the time.
So the Roosters have higher standards than us. Maybe we should raise our standards as well then?

lucablight

First Grade
Let’s just judge him on post-2016 then. Two top 4 finishes, four total finals campaigns, but also a wooden spoon and an inability to progress past the second week of the finals. Surely there is no way that he’s actually gotten the best out of the squads he’s had in that period.

It really boils down to this, for me. Had Arthur gotten the nucleus of this squad as far as he can personally? I think he has. He doesn’t have the runs on the board elsewhere to suggest that things get better from here. He’s had nearly a decade (or, on your yardstick post-2016, five full campaigns so far and in the guts of a sixth one now).

Enough is enough. We cannot and will not win a premiership with Arthur as coach. Would we win one imminently with someone else? I couldn’t say. But I don’t think we’re in a worse position rolling the dice and giving someone else a dig. So let’s do it. Let’s not waste another season or two of the prime years of the likes of Moses, RCG and Paulo. Give them a fresh voice to march to. It couldn’t be worse.
I’ll take a wait and see approach to see what we do in the finals (assuming we make it) but it’s hard to argue with what you’ve said. We would have to be a huge outlier to win a competition this year with this standard of defence.

DaveMc

Juniors
No I think post-2018 is better. That's when we finally had some stability and professionalism in the head office. The team has clearly been very different since McElduff took over as Chairman.
How very convenient to exclude the spoon. I’m sorry, but the 2018 squad was his. You can’t exclude that.

T-Boon

Coach
I doubt the NRL team returns a profit that goes back to the PLC. I'm sure the PLC still provides some funding to the footy team. But they could be providing a lot more.
Yeah but if I put $200 into the Football club is that in addition to what the leagues club puts in or does the leagues club put $200 less in (as a stated goal of financial independence from Leagues club would suggest).
If it is the former then I feel I am making the football club richer and making a difference to something I support, if it is the later it makes me feel sick in the stomach because I hate leagues clubs.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You asked a question and then answered it. That's a very strange thing to do. You could of just said
We wouldn't be able to get Ciraldo unless it was a head coach role. Anyhows carry on. I just wanted to point it out.
I mean it's something Jewish people do.

Are you from Israel?
Think of it like me answering a FAQ.

DaveMc

Juniors
I’ll take a wait and see approach to see what we do in the finals (assuming we make it) but it’s hard to argue with what you’ve said. We would have to be a huge outlier to win a competition this year with this standard of defence.
We don’t need a wait and see approach - we’re not winning a premiership this year. There is no way in the world that this team, with this record, is winning more than one game in a finals series.

T-Boon

Coach
It's long term enough for me to think our problem is bigger than coaching.
True. We haven't won since there has been a salary cap. The teams that win under the salary cap era have been the ones that are good at being clever (I don't just mean cheating also timing of contracts etc).
We have paid a price for being divided and run by a bunch of snakes who cant manipulate the cap without getting caught out.

the phantom menace

First Grade
Is that the only other option? Sack him now or extend him for life? There's no sensible middle ground. This is rugby league.
You were commenting that changing the coach won't change anything... the impliation being that who is coach is irrelevent, and therefore we may as well stick with the incumbent in perpetuity.

I'm glad you've agreed how silly the logic behind your comment was. My comment did not indicate that there are only two options, however (as others have noted) it is a little misguided to argue changing a coach will change nothing about the team's and players' perfromances.

Latest posts