What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Trifili13

Juniors
Ahem!!! ST GEORGE Illawarra
We can wear the Illawarra socks that’s it
And they can have the shorts as well. The Big Red V however should be non-negotiable, home and away. Arguably the most famous jersey in the rugby league world (although that world is small in reality) but why on earth would you want to play in an alternate jersey every second week?

If they want to show respect to the Illawarra then play in the original Steelers jersey on say the foundation day of when the Steelers were founded as a sign of respect and acknowledgment.

I also follow Collingwood and although Port Adelaide was founded before Collingwood, and have been trying to use their prison bar jersey, Collingwood have steadfastly refused to allow them as they were in the AFL/VFL earlier and cherish what the black and white stripes mean. The same should go for the Red V. The St George side should put their foot down and say it's the Red V or f off. And if the Gordon's and the rest of the Illawarra don't like it they can sell up and move on.

This along with signage at games reading "gordon's out" for example, and whatever else people want to say (so long as it isn't hateful) could potentially help a push to get them out. Further, if anyone needs a new jersey, we could potentially get second hand ones instead of putting money in their pocket. Holding back on purchasing memberships in protest can also help.

The reality is this club doesn't have enough of an identity and the people at the top are doing absolutely nothing about it. A new stadium is in order. We need, in my opinion, to play out of one stadium (being WIN). Success on the field will push for a new stadium. Look at Penrith, three good years and all of a sudden they're getting a brand new stadium. It's time to let go of the past and present a united front as St George Illawarra. We wear the famous Red V, but play out of Wollongong. Surely that's enough of a compromise. This is one club, not two, and that needs to be accepted. Only then can we have a proper identity. After success out of one stadium for a few years, and hopefully the promotion of a Wollongong team into the A-league, we can push for a new stadium to be built in Wollongong. That gives us two final years to play out of Kogarah whilst the new stadium is built.

Yes, I know this will take years because the centre of excellence is also being built, but why not start looking like a united club NOW. Play out wollongong, keep the red v and the dragons emblem. Away strip should be our teelers 40 years jersey from this season. Get someone on making a team song, like most other teams have in the comp, when they come running out of the tunnel. Playing U2 and Louis Armstrong when the team runs out/wins is embarrassing and divisive. Just bring some soul into the place and some identity. I'm sure we as fans would love a united front to be presented and all get behind our team together. Our players lack pride in the jersey, but what is there currently to be proud of apart from the history behind our founding clubs? A united club will bring pride with it. So many obvious changes can be made to start to fix our issues now. Why not do it?
Where do I begin?For a start, myself and most other St George supporters wouldn't bother travelling down to Wollongong to watch matches, so you'd lose most of the paying Kogarah supporter base. If playing out of Wollongong was so great, then Illawarra would never have failed in the beginning-and remember it did fail. However your idea has merit if we played all the games out of Kogarah- just like we used to always do when we were the most successful club around.
As far as team songs goes, ours is about the most recognised song there is. Try and find anyone who doesn't know that song. Then try and get someone to sing say the Melbourne or Penrith songs-unknown to most people.
This is what happens when you let tradition go-most of the NRL clubs don't even have a recognisable jersey anymore. They've let Johnny-come-latelys run the place and now have no soul.
So i find your comments pretty wrong and totally against the spirit of a proud club. The sooner we separate from Wollongong the better. Weve certainly copped the raw end of the deal since we merged. And comments like this reinforce the need to return to being The Saints!!

slippery5

Juniors
Anybody decent. How do other clubs sign them. Throw the chequebook and a bit of real esatte their way
So you want to sign Bellamy/ Robinson/ Payton / Fitzgibbon or Cleary, who are all under contract next year. Because anybody else is not in the "as you say" decent category

possm

Coach
WHey Possm,

I luv ya, but where did your fantasy and infatuation with signing Flanno junior go with the above post?
Well, once the new assist coaches were announced and with the persistent rumor the Dean Young will take over from Griffin, I came to the conclusion that it is very likely that Shane Flannagan will not be our head coach and so is son will not be coming to the Dragons.

Of course, our club's preference for Ben Hunt to play halfback also adds weight to my change of mind.

However, I do still hold the view that it would have been better to let Hunt go and with his salary cap sign Kyle Flannagan as a backup to Sullivan, bearing in mind, that Sullivan has been under an injury cloud for most of last season and is still an inexperienced first-grader. The remainder of our salary cap left after Hunt moves on could go towards building a stronger forward pack as at the moment there seems to be no like-for-like replacement for Sims.

Mojo

Bench
For as long as self-interest in the front office is tolerated by the media and fans of SGI, there will be no change.
What about the self-interest being demonstrated by the Qld faction of the playing group and the coach? Hunt - halfback only + only if Hook is retained as coach, Macca - refuse to retire despite universal agreement that it's time to hang-up the boots; Hook - constant selection of Qld old boys when there's young talent available.

My guess is Spencer Leniu. Panthers are in a bit of a salary cap squeeze, still has another year to run on his contract and randomdragon described it as “good” not “great”. Fingers-crossed!
My guess is out of the box. I feel Ben Woolf will bring a couple of Tweed Heads Seagulls with him. Gonna say the Brimson brothers....AJ for NRL, and his brother for KOE Cup. AJ can't be happy with Foran going there next year, surely

possm

Coach
What about the self-interest being demonstrated by the Qld faction of the playing group and the coach? Hunt - halfback only + only if Hook is retained as coach, Macca - refuse to retire despite universal agreement that it's time to hang-up the boots; Hook - constant selection of Qld old boys when there's young talent available.
Yes, the self-interest is still there. The guide should be that all should be in the best interest of the club, not some payback deal.

Parko1310

Juniors
It’s a prop, not leniu but have heard they are interested in leniu
My guess is luke thompson. Surely the dogs are in a massive squeeze at the moment. We can't be talking to players under contract yet, so it would have to be a player another club is trying to offload. Heard a few times dogs are open to releasing thompson. I honestly wouldn't be that keen as I think there are definitely better options and he costs too much but I suppose it's better than what we currently have.

Just my opinion, but personally I like the two stadiums and good to see we’re improving our home record at both grounds this year. Not sure I agree with the perspective about players lacking pride; I’d go for one jersey though: the Red V for home AND the Red V for away!
Here here. Play out of the 'Gong as a compromise. Preferrably in a brand spanking new stadium.. sure I'll be long gone before that happens...