What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Parko1310

Juniors
Where do I begin?For a start, myself and most other St George supporters wouldn't bother travelling down to Wollongong to watch matches, so you'd lose most of the paying Kogarah supporter base. If playing out of Wollongong was so great, then Illawarra would never have failed in the beginning-and remember it did fail. However your idea has merit if we played all the games out of Kogarah- just like we used to always do when we were the most successful club around.
As far as team songs goes, ours is about the most recognised song there is. Try and find anyone who doesn't know that song. Then try and get someone to sing say the Melbourne or Penrith songs-unknown to most people.
This is what happens when you let tradition go-most of the NRL clubs don't even have a recognisable jersey anymore. They've let Johnny-come-latelys run the place and now have no soul.
So i find your comments pretty wrong and totally against the spirit of a proud club. The sooner we separate from Wollongong the better. Weve certainly copped the raw end of the deal since we merged. And comments like this reinforce the need to return to being The Saints!!
Let me start off by saying I'm a lot younger and so was not alive before the joint venture occurred. My team is and always will be St.George Illawarra. However, the reason I support the Dragons is because I have a parent who supported St.George, so if anything I would have been more on the St.George side. In no way am I biased because I'm an Illawarra Steeler. I'm a St.George Illawarra Dragon.

So, with that said, I'll argue firstly what Kogarah supporters? Our round 3 game against Cronulla this year at WIN in horrible conditions still saw more attendees than our Norm Provan memorial match (played in immaculate conditions) at kogarah. WIN gets better crowds than Kogarah does, simple. If supporters don't want to go to Wollongong to watch the Dragons play, that's there choice, but I don't think the club will suffer too much from their absence.

Secondly, Kogarah, given where it is situated, will never get a significant upgrade. We need a stadium worth being proud of. Not one where you can smell the toilets from your seat. The fact is Kogarah is outdated but without hope of a significant upgrade. WIN is outdated, but situated where a significant upgrade can take place.

Regarding the team song. It's also outdated, divisive, and in my opinion plain embarrassing. Who cares if most other people don't know it? At least it's ours. The Roosters song when they run out and win for example, is phenomenal, and every roosters fan sings it loud and proud. You mention clubs that have their own songs having no soul. The Roosters, Storm and Panthers have arguably the most soul out of any other clubs in the whole comp.

To finish off, let's be reasonable and remember the St.George side was falling apart. They needed Illawarra as much as they needed St.George. Without the merger, considering both teams stayed in the ARL, neither would have survived.

Sloth

Juniors
Need more impact than this bloke offers going on his stats. Only 7 hit ups, av 80m per game.
Lightyears ahead of Michael Molo, Jayden Hunt, Aaron Woods. He only plays on average 35 minutes a game currently, only 24 years old plenty of improvement in him. Offers size which we are severely lacking and wouldn't cost much. We have to face the facts, we are not going to sign a quality prop with what we currently have to offer.

If we have a decent forward pack for Sullivan and Amone to play behind, they will do the job
Wish I shared your optimism about Sullivan. Outside of some Ball footage. not seen a lot of him at half and the one game he slotted in when Hunt was absent he did not exactly set the world on fire. As a ball in hand play maker is he any better than Ben Hunt. A kid in Flegg, Braxton Wallace looks a natural organizer we would be wise to hang onto by handing him a Development Contract.

Last edited:

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Let me start off by saying I'm a lot younger and so was not alive before the joint venture occurred. My team is and always will be St.George Illawarra. However, the reason I support the Dragons is because I have a parent who supported St.George, so if anything I would have been more on the St.George side. In no way am I biased because I'm an Illawarra Steeler. I'm a St.George Illawarra Dragon.

So, with that said, I'll argue firstly what Kogarah supporters? Our round 3 game against Cronulla this year at WIN in horrible conditions still saw more attendees than our Norm Provan memorial match (played in immaculate conditions) at kogarah. WIN gets better crowds than Kogarah does, simple. If supporters don't want to go to Wollongong to watch the Dragons play, that's there choice, but I don't think the club will suffer too much from their absence.

Secondly, Kogarah, given where it is situated, will never get a significant upgrade. We need a stadium worth being proud of. Not one where you can smell the toilets from your seat. The fact is Kogarah is outdated but without hope of a significant upgrade. WIN is outdated, but situated where a significant upgrade can take place.

Regarding the team song. It's also outdated, divisive, and in my opinion plain embarrassing. Who cares if most other people don't know it? At least it's ours. The Roosters song when they run out and win for example, is phenomenal, and every roosters fan sings it loud and proud. You mention clubs that have their own songs having no soul. The Roosters, Storm and Panthers have arguably the most soul out of any other clubs in the whole comp.

To finish off, let's be reasonable and remember the St.George side was falling apart. They needed Illawarra as much as they needed St.George. Without the merger, considering both teams stayed in the ARL, neither would have survived.
Fair enough, but the argument doesn’t have to be so binary; I’m personally all for the joint venture.
…If’ it’s the song is “Oh when the Saints”..? … (Storm and Penrith have a song?) I love it and don’t find it embarrassing at all; i hope they always keep it!
I also disagree with the Kogarah Oval point of view. Lately, the scheduling of games there have been on Sat against out of town sides; rain events or those stupid Friday night at 6:00. Let’s see a Sunday against a traditional rival.. pack it in!

Just my opinion, but I love the song; love both grounds ; love the Illawarra partnership!

Last edited:

Sloth

Juniors
Hunt resigned with the Sharks as far as I know. Could be wrong though.
He did yes, however randomdragon has said we are in the running to sign a prop under contract. I can't see any of the top clubs letting their best props go so thought Hunt or Guler were 2 of the better options. It will likely turn out to be Tolman or A Fifita however.

SGMax

Juniors
I am sure the original song was "We are the St. George Boys" which I still hear played sometimes.
A compromise to the more popularly known "Oh when the Saints" which can include Illawarra more readily. (Sorry tried to upload an MP3 file but not being accepted).

As for who needed who, Illawarra were about to fold.
St. George were under pressure to merge, but in nowhere near as much strife.

I am OK for the merger as long as they work together and contribute to a better, stronger team, but that is not happening.
Only division and self interest.
The Illawarra side should acknowledge that they are the minor player here and appreciate the opportunity to be part of the NRL.

justadragon

Bench
He did yes, however randomdragon has said we are in the running to sign a prop under contract. I can't see any of the top clubs letting their best props go so thought Hunt or Guler were 2 of the better options. It will likely turn out to be Tolman or A Fifita however.
Yep you are so right, the proposition of having Woods and Tolman would immediately strike fear to all the other packs in the NRL and show them that the Dragons mean business in 2023. Cant wait !!!

Parko1310

Juniors
Fair enough, The argument doesn’t have to be so binary.; I’m personally all for the joint venture.
If’ it’s the song is “Oh when the Saints”..? … Storm and Penrith have a song? I love it and don’t find it embarrassing at all. I hope they always keep it!
I also disagree with the Kogarah Oval point of view. Lately the scheduling of games there have been on Sat against out of town sides; rain events or those stupid Friday night at 6:00. Let’s see a Sunday against a traditional rival.. pack it in!

Just my opinion, bit I love the song; love both grounds ; love the Illawarra partnership!
Fair enough, and you definitely raise some good points. The issue I have with the two stadiums is mainly that I feel like 20 years from now, we simply cannot be playing out of those run down stadiums. It would be insane if we were. But, none of them will get an upgrade unless we choose one. Kogarah, even if we chose it, is not going to get an upgrade because it is surrounded by housing. Plus, no other teams will use it in other sports. Wollongong look likely to get an A-league side who will play out of a new wollongong stadium, plus if we can become successful on the field and play 12 games a year there, then an upgrade is a genuine chance. I just see more potential in the gong. Fans turn up there. Our games at kogarah against the warriors, manly, cowboys and brisbane drew crowds of around 7k, 7k, 9k and 8k respectively. In comparison to our round 8 game against the tigers at WIN, where almost 30,000 showed up. A team going well out of wollongong will get bigger crowds in my opinion, and imagine a new stadium there with a team going well. There will be at least 20,000 there every time.

lemnoc

Juniors
Fair enough, and you definitely raise some good points. The issue I have with the two stadiums is mainly that I feel like 20 years from now, we simply cannot be playing out of those run down stadiums. It would be insane if we were. But, none of them will get an upgrade unless we choose one. Kogarah, even if we chose it, is not going to get an upgrade because it is surrounded by housing. Plus, no other teams will use it in other sports. Wollongong look likely to get an A-league side who will play out of a new wollongong stadium, plus if we can become successful on the field and play 12 games a year there, then an upgrade is a genuine chance. I just see more potential in the gong. Fans turn up there. Our games at kogarah against the warriors, manly, cowboys and brisbane drew crowds of around 7k, 7k, 9k and 8k respectively. In comparison to our round 8 game against the tigers at WIN, where almost 30,000 showed up. A team going well out of wollongong will get bigger crowds in my opinion, and imagine a new stadium there with a team going well. There will be at least 20,000 there every time.
In fairness to the Kogarah games this year, 3 out of the 4 were played on miserable days, with plenty of rain in the lead up to the game against teams that don't bring any fans with them. And 30,000 at Win for the Tigers game? I don't remember that one...

Parko1310

Juniors
In fairness to the Kogarah games this year, 3 out of the 4 were played on miserable days, with plenty of rain in the lead up to the game against teams that don't bring any fans with them. And 30,000 at Win for the Tigers game? I don't remember that one...
Attendance is shown here

Attachments

• 22FBB7B8-1DCA-475D-8150-6B4434083AE4.jpeg
    22FBB7B8-1DCA-475D-8150-6B4434083AE4.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts