What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What To Do With Wade?

DJDL

Bench
air-france-plane%20%281%29.jpg

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Has to be staying, club missed farewell chance otherwise. He is flat. By next season I just see no value unless on 200k

bluefox68

Staff member
I think it’s been mentioned that Wade’s woman, who is French, has to be in Oz for another year (for citizenship requirements)…

If that is indeed the case, totally understandable, but it’s not the Sharks problem!

He could run the water for a year, or play for the Tigers for 400K.

If we want to actually win the comp, we have to be willing to make the hard decisions!

Frenzy.

Immortal
I think it’s been mentioned that Wade’s woman, who is French, has to be in Oz for another year (for citizenship requirements)…

If that is indeed the case, totally understandable, but it’s not the Sharks problem!

He could run the water for a year, or play for the Tigers for 400K.

If we want to actually win the comp, we have to be willing to make the hard decisions!

"we"? Who are "we"? It would actually be an easy decision for the people that make decisions to piss him off. Hard conversation perhaps but easy decision which they'd make based on 100s of things fans don't see which coaches, players and administrators see as "value add qualities" not just wunning fast and being flashy.

Not being a great sentimentalist over footy players I don't care either way, he stays or he goes. He's not expendable but he is still useful to the bigger picture. He now has Sacred Cow status as well and it's very hard to move SCs on till they want to go.

As to "we", clubs don't decide on what "we" the fans want.

bluefox68

Staff member
"we"? Who are "we"? It would actually be an easy decision for the people that make decisions to piss him off. Hard conversation perhaps but easy decision which they'd make based on 100s of things fans don't see which coaches, players and administrators see as "value add qualities" not just wunning fast and being flashy.

Not being a great sentimentalist over footy players I don't care either way, he stays or he goes. He's not expendable but he is still useful to the bigger picture. He now has Sacred Cow status as well and it's very hard to move SCs on till they want to go.

As to "we", clubs don't decide on what "we" the fans want.
Fans associate with something bigger than themselves under the vain delusion that they actually have a say on anything!!!

Inferno

Coach
In Fifita and Tolman we're losing 600+ games of experience.

The average age of our pack without those two has probably dropped 3 or 4 years.

Wilton had a very good first half of the year but like many younger players struggled a bit in the back half.

I think we definitely have a place for Wade in 2023.

DJDL

Bench
In Fifita and Tolman we're losing 600+ games of experience.

The average age of our pack without those two has probably dropped 3 or 4 years.

Wilton had a very good first half of the year but like many younger players struggled a bit in the back half.

I think we definitely have a place for Wade in 2023.

That’s the only reservation I have with cutting him loose.

We still have Finucane and McInnes so there’s experience there, but yes ~1,000 games to lose in one fell swoop is a big hit.

R-15-3

Bench
3 moths ago everyone was saying we would keep Fifita or Tolman till they announced they where going.
Grahams gone imo but it’s not a happy easy call so was pushed out till seasons end to not cause issues.

Special K

Coach
I think they will keep him but honestly I think it is best for everyone he moves on. His best spot now is 13 but we have Cam and Dale doing that role plus Williams to come back.

Teig will start over him next year I reckon if he stays. Fitz will be gutted with the exit and look to ensure we are better. Graham is a glaring fixable issue.

Inferno

Coach
Perhaps we go move Finucane to prop and start with Hunt or BHU?

8. Hunt
9. Brailey
10. Finucane
11. Nikora
12. Wilton
13. Graham

14. McInnes
15. Rudolf
16. BHU
17. Kafausi/Williams

Graham still has some ball playing and could be transitioned into a link man role.

Weaponhead

Coach
Wade had that rare combination of skill and toughness. Loved seeing him belt Cronk time and again. His skills were sublime with timing short or long passes that opened up defences.

Unfortunately, at this point of his career his skills have substantially diminished. He made crucial unforced handling errors late in the season and really didn't create much of note.

The best argument for keeping him is for his experience and leadership. He is now the last remaining playing link to the clubs most successful period.

In a salary capped league, it is all about the price/value equation. His price would have to drop significantly for the equation to work. From his public statements, he seems fairly realistic on where he is at this stage of his career.

Weaponhead

Coach
That is the role Dale and Cam like to play. Love Dale but he can't do 26 rounds as a battering ram. We have to protect him a little and you can't really have 3 blokes doing that gig.
Agree on Dale. He will have to be managed to get the best out of him. Physically, he starting to show the wear of a long career.