What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons to target million-dollar Titan as Hunt talks continue.

Parko1310

Juniors
Liam Martin, Angus Creighton are better.
But they would not go to the Dragons.
Their not stupid
Liam Martin isn't better than fifita. He's an average second-rower at best, hyped up because he plays like a meat-head and he's in a good team. Crichton I can agree on, but put martin in an average team (who would end up overpaying for what he provides) and he'll fit right in. Bang average player

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
It seems that possums wishing may come to fruition ? Fifita would be an enormous addition to our squad as long as he brings the will to succeed along with him .

Who knows perhaps the Dragons may even have another coach by then completing the daily double .
Agree that the Dragons desperately need some forward star power but is Fifita the one who can bring it?- Holbrook is highly regarded as a man manager coach but Fifita has spluttered rather than fired under his leadership . Can't imagine Hook getting any more out of him- unless of course we have a new coach by then.

Gareth67

First Grade
Can't imagine Fifita will command that sort of money for his next contract unless of course he has a whopper season in 2023 and then surely if that happened he would then be out of our reach and on his way to Storm or Roosters.
Yes I am afraid so , they would get first bite at the cherry and as we know , a player would prefer a club which has genuine premiership potential than one that is in the ‘ rebuilding ‘ stage - still .

saintly1996

Juniors
Liam Martin isn't better than fifita. He's an average second-rower at best, hyped up because he plays like a meat-head and he's in a good team. Crichton I can agree on, but put martin in an average team (who would end up overpaying for what he provides) and he'll fit right in. Bang average player
Do you actually understand the game, seriously.

Fifita and Martin are completely different players, Fifita is a power forward and Martin is the forward every team needs, the player who does the 1 percenters, the kick chases etc.

Would guarantee if Martin came on the market at around the $550k mark the smart coaches like Bellamy, Bennett etc would snap him up.

Parko1310

Juniors

Fifita and Martin are completely different players, Fifita is a power forward and Martin is the forward every team needs, the player who does the 1 percenters, the kick chases etc.

Would guarantee if Martin came on the market at around the $550k mark the smart coaches like Bellamy, Bennett etc would snap him up.
Haha. Did I question his effort? No I didn't. I questioned his ability. He's an average player who tries hard. Fifita, whilst obviously different styles of back-rower, is better. I suggest you watch the state of origin highlights from this year if you'd like to see his glaring deficiencies, particularly in defence. So.. by your logic a player that tries hard is of better value than a player of quality. Why don't we just field a team of Blake Lawrie like players in the pack? We'd get pumped. So don't come at me with Do YoU uNdErStAnD tHe GaMe

Parko1310

Juniors

Case in point.
-2 mins 21 seconds. Doesn't bother to pressure holmes on the try.
- 5 mins 20 seconds. Fails to clean up cherry evans' kick and if not for a knock on, the blues are punished.
- 7 mins. Plants his feet in defence, tom dearden goes through. Jaggered defensive line cause by break leads to try on the next play.
- 7 mins 44 seconds. Doesn't get out from marker and harry grant almost seals the series then and there. Martin has his ass saved by yeo and crichton.

And all of this is from game 3 only. Don't even get me started on game 1.

SBD82

Coach

Martin is an average player who has been found out when playing State of Origin.

Take him out of the Panthers system and he’s just another run of the mill back rower

SBD82

Coach
Re: Fafita.

He’s the type of player that has limitless potential but hasn’t proven that he has the commitment or footy smarts to make the most of it.

Given the risk, he’s not worth the sort of money that he’s commanding in his current contract, and I doubt that we’d be able to get him at a price that factors in the risk.

Pass from me.

possm

Coach
The St George Illawarra Dragons are reportedly preparing an enormous bid in the hopes of securing Gold Coast Titans wrecking ball David Fifita.

With the hulking game-breaker eligible to accept offers for 2024 come November 1, the Sydney Morning Herald reports that the Red V are positioning themselves to take advantage of an apparent lack of urgency from the Gold Coast club around one of their most talented players.

It’s been a challenging season for the game’s most highly-paid big man, with form and injury issues during the club’s disastrous campaign that ended with a 13th-place finish resulting in a noticeable drop in his usually astounding numbers.

But the Dragons aren’t deterred, believing they can help Fifita rediscover the form that made him the game’s hottest property just 12 months ago – and they reckon they have a card up their sleeve in terms of incentives, with Fifita already having a connection to the club.

The Titans’ back-rower is currently dating Dragons NRLW star Shaylee Bent, and the club believes that this could help their pitch. The Newcastle Knights have a similar arrangement at the moment, securing Adam Elliott after also signing his partner and NRLW headliner Millie Boyle.

The Dragons have previously employed a strategy of signing experienced big men on bargain deals and being subsidised by other clubs, but the arrival of Fifita would be on par with the historic arrival of Ben Hunt back in 2018.

It’s believed that a high-profile signing like Fifita may help the club in their contract negotiations with Hunt. Though the Dragons are offering Hunt a two-year contract extension, there are believed to be a number of other clubs interested in his services, including the Bulldogs and the Dolphins – as well as the Titans.

The club has advised that they’re expecting clarity regarding Hunt’s contract status within the next two weeks. Though the club still sees him as a priority, should Hunt opt to look elsewhere the Red V would have significantly more salary cap space to use in their bid for Fifita.
Well there you go, we could swap Hunt for Fifita and still have enough salary cap left to buy a top-line prop like Haas, giving the Dragons a pack of forwards equal to any in the competition. Just imagine:

1. Ramsey - 300k
2. Matt Feagai - 250k
3. Suli - 500k
4. Lomax - 600k
5. Ravalawa - 450k
5. Amone - 300k
7. Sullivan - 300k
8. Haas - 850k
9. Robson - 600k
10. Burgess - 300k - fully fit and ready to rumble
11. Fifita - 1m
12. Su'A - 600k
13. De Belin - 600k

14. Bird - 600k
15. F Molo - 600k
16. Lawrie - 450k
17. M Molo - 300k

Top 17 @

And yes, we can afford this team with plenty to spare for those bargain buys our BOD love to sign.

14. Bird

Gareth67

First Grade
Agree that the Dragons desperately need some forward star power but is Fifita the one who can bring it?- Holbrook is highly regarded as a man manager coach but Fifita has spluttered rather than fired under his leadership . Can't imagine Hook getting any more out of him- unless of course we have a new coach by then.
I share your concerns r&w4evr , I also believe that Griffo is not the coach to bring him back to his best . Also that Holbrook , although a good coach has been unable to keep the mans performing at peak level .

Players who are after the big contracts must perform on a weekly basis , not every now and then when the mood takes them . He is the type of player that requires a hard taskmaster such as Bellamy , Bennett or Robinson .

However after saying that I do hope that the Dragons are able to lure him down to the ‘ Gong as we desperately need someone in the forwards with the ability to bust the defense and off load to players such as Ramsey and like .

Maddragon99

Juniors
Griffin isn’t the right coach to get the best out of David Fifita. I’d prefer to have a crack at him once his contract ends nest season. Fresh start in 2024 with a new coach at the Dragons.

Walpole

Juniors

Latest posts