What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons to target million-dollar Titan as Hunt talks continue.

Gareth67

First Grade
It seems to me that the Dragons need to off-load Hunt to fund the recruitment of Fifita. With Sims moving to Melbourne, his cap can be used to recruit a top-grade prop, and it is in my opinion that De Belin's future now lies in the prop position with Bird moving to lock.
1. Ramsey
2. Matt Feagai
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. avalawa
6. Amone
7. Sullivan
8. New proop
9. Robson
10. De Belin
11. Fifita
12. Su'A
13. Bird

14. Mbye
15. F Molo
16. Lawrie
17. M Molo

18. Burgess / Coric
19. Burns
20. Max Feagai
21. Sloan
Must disagree with you possum , JDB is no prop , regardless of how he may had played in that position .

The man needs to be in the 2nd row or at lock , there is no doubting that he still has what it takes in defence , however to me his talents are wasted at prop .

Just had a transient thought that the reason we might be talking to D Fifita is that Su'a *is* going to get a release and we will need to pay overs to get someone of similar quality to replace him.
Although, DF left the Broncs to play for the Titans - so he clearly isn't fussy about where he plays, as long as the money is good.

SEAT 1A

Bench
This Hunt situation is doing my head in.

With Hunt signed for next year, it's really going to give Amone one more year together. If Hunt extends, we are going to have a cracker number six and seven. Add Ramsey or Slone at one, that's more than handy.

One the other hand, I can't see us winning the comp in the next few years so let Hunt go and Bud fills the number seven and the kids can kick on for the long term.

I can't see why who is responsible to communicate the pathways correctly can't put it to bed for all concerned.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Just had a transient thought that the reason we might be talking to D Fifita is that Su'a *is* going to get a release and we will need to pay overs to get someone of similar quality to replace him.
Although, DF left the Broncs to play for the Titans - so he clearly isn't fussy about where he plays, as long as the money is good.
I really hope you're wrong. Su'A has 2 years to go on his contract. The club refused Sloan's request for a release, so why would they cave in and release Su'A? (I hope).

possm

Coach
Must disagree with you possum , JDB is no prop , regardless of how he may had played in that position .

The man needs to be in the 2nd row or at lock , there is no doubting that he still has what it takes in defence , however to me his talents are wasted at prop .
Ok, I can agree with you but it is in the middle that we have problems and it is Bird that we need to find a place in the 13 for. So, I am thinking that keeping De Belin and Bird in the middle will strengthen our defence in the middle and offer some second-phase play with offloads as well.

dungay dragon

Juniors
If confirmed , its time to move on from Hunty
We desperately need to bolster our forward pack with a quality Prop and Back Rower
Forking out top dollar for Hunt but failling to fill the forward void will have us in the same position for the next three years
With Sullivan and Amone working behind a quality forward pack we are more than a better chance of matching it with the top sides , and a shot at the Title
Ben has been great for us but it is time He either repays the faith the Club has put in over the past 5 years by agreeing to a pay cut or move on
i am feeling it will be the latter ,

Gareth67

First Grade
Yes indeed the Dragons certainly need to sharpen their pencil as Brent Read has suggested .

Or better still get rid of the bluudy thing altogether and use a big thick black texta and sign off on his ‘ no longer require his services ‘ paperwork .

Enough is enough ! The dragons signed the man for a damn fortune and the latest offer was , at least in my view , a fair one considering A - his age and B - he has only delivered for 2 out of 4 from his current contract of 5 years .

Time for both parties to move on after season 2023 and finally give our young up and comers their opportunities in the top grade before they go on to greener pastures .

Last edited:
According to a few reports, the offer was $750k, which is apparently not enough for Mr Hunt.
If that's true, for a half in their 30s with zero premierships under his belt, I reckon that's some Grade A self-interest.
We've limped into the semi's just once during the Hunt Era, and that was in tandem with Gareth Widdop - who did a lot of the heavy lifting.
Time to cut the cord, I think, and use that money to upgrade the forwards. I'd rather finish last with a Sullivan / Amone halves partnership than in mid-table nothing throwing money down a ben Hunt-shaped hole from which we get as many rocks as diamonds.

denis preston

First Grade
According to a few reports, the offer was $750k, which is apparently not enough for Mr Hunt.
If that's true, for a half in their 30s with zero premierships under his belt, I reckon that's some Grade A self-interest.
We've limped into the semi's just once during the Hunt Era, and that was in tandem with Gareth Widdop - who did a lot of the heavy lifting.
Time to cut the cord, I think, and use that money to upgrade the forwards. I'd rather finish last with a Sullivan / Amone halves partnership than in mid-table nothing throwing money down a ben Hunt-shaped hole from which we get as many rocks as diamonds.
750 was the first offer. Didn’t he just reject 800 - 850 ? it’s ludicrous, move on and give 50 percent games at 7 to Hunt & Sullivan in 03.

qld redvee

Juniors
750 was the first offer. Didn’t he just reject 800 - 850 ? it’s ludicrous, move on and give 50 percent games at 7 to Hunt & Sullivan in 03.
DP - the way brent read talked on 360 sounds like he still wants around 900 thou ( maybe more) somehow I think they know salary cap increases in 24 25 so are trying to maximise their asking price on increased salary cap .. YET hunt acknowledges he has been paid real well and cant expect same dollars as he is on .. Well he is not accepting much of a drop is he .. HOLD firm dragons board and dont sharpen the bloody pencil any more pull out the crayon and underline the final offer

possm

Coach
Yes indeed the Dragons certainly need to sharpen their pencil as Brent Read has suggested .

Or better still get rid of the bluudy thing altogether and use a big thick black texta and sign off on his ‘ no longer require his services ‘ paperwork .

Enough is enough ! The dragons signed the man for a damn fortune and the latest offer was , at least in my view , a fair one considering A - his age and B - he has only delivered for 2 out of 4 from his current contract of 5 years .

Time for both parties to move on after season 2023 and finally get our young up and comers their opportunities in the top grade before they go on to greener pastures .
Better still make a deal with the Titans for an immediate swap with David Fifita. In this way 2023 won't be a waste, we can have our two halves Sullivan and Amone playing behind a decent pack of forwards to gane experience for a tilt at the 2024 season.

So Fifita for Hunt, and a top-grade prop for Sims. That is 1.8m to spend and it is well within our cap. I'd also consider buying a good backup half as insurance against a Sullivan injury. Flannagan and Clune come to mind.

possm

Coach
DP - the way brent read talked on 360 sounds like he still wants around 900 thou ( maybe more) somehow I think they know salary cap increases in 24 25 so are trying to maximise their asking price on increased salary cap .. YET hunt acknowledges he has been paid real well and cant expect same dollars as he is on .. Well he is not accepting much of a drop is he .. HOLD firm dragons board and dont sharpen the bloody pencil any more pull out the crayon and underline the final offer
No, don't hold firm, just say goodbye and arrange a swap with the Titans for Fifita. this seems a good solution to both parties. Make an immediate thing so we can get on with life without Hunt, just like we managed without McInnes.

Then, sign a decent coach, no more penny pinching, and make it a priority to get this new young gun halves combo working smothly.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
There's a lot of hate for Ben Hunt here. I don't know why. He hasn't kept anyone out of the side. He hasn't let the side down with his performances on the field. I'd argue he doesn't owe St George anything given how the Board of Directors have managed to gather together a team of uncompetitive numpties for him to captain. He wants more money for playing with the Dragons? So would I if I was in his position. He's not going to get any 3rd party business happening, or the opportunity to play with great players, or the chance to aim for championship glory any time soon.

Latest posts