What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New recruits for 2023

Trifili13

Juniors
Ok, at the time the press reported him going from a dealer to Ford Aus. I thought they said City Ford but I accept I am mistaken. He went on to Ford in the US after the top job at Oz for a while. I read that ended a bit messily.
I think Nick actually employed Geoff in his City Ford dealerships at some stage. Geoff passed away a few years ago from cancer.

possm

Coach
I'd say, Bird should be in the 13 and maybe Mbye at 14 to cover for Sullivan and Amone. Our young halves are still inexperienced NRL players and maybe still prone to injury. So Bird to lock and De Belin to prop. Mbye to the bench.

If we can swap Hunt for Fifita and buy a new top-grade prop, I believe our problem in the forwards would be solved. My team:

1. Ramsey / Sloan
2. Matt Feagai
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. Ravalawa
6. Amone
7. Sulivan
8. New prop
9. Robson
10. De Belin
11. Fifita
12. Su'A
13. Bird

14. Mbye
15. F Molo
16. Lawrie
17. M Molo

Maddragon99

Juniors
I'd say, Bird should be in the 13 and maybe Mbye at 14 to cover for Sullivan and Amone. Our young halves are still inexperienced NRL players and maybe still prone to injury. So Bird to lock and De Belin to prop. Mbye to the bench.

If we can swap Hunt for Fifita and buy a new top-grade prop, I believe our problem in the forwards would be solved. My team:

1. Ramsey / Sloan
2. Matt Feagai
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. Ravalawa
6. Amone
7. Sulivan
8. New prop
9. Robson
10. De Belin
11. Fifita
12. Su'A
13. Bird

14. Mbye
15. F Molo
16. Lawrie
17. M Molo
Swap Liddle for Robson, I think it’s very unlikely Robson will leave Nth QLD. I suppose this could be dependant on who our coach is from ‘24 Deano might be able to entice him back.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Swap Liddle for Robson, I think it’s very unlikely Robson will leave Nth QLD. I suppose this could be dependant on who our coach is from ‘24 Deano might be able to entice him back.
Poor old Liddle hasn't even opened his locker yet and you are trading him away to Nth Queensland! Another warm welcome to the Dragons family! I would like Robson to sign up with the Dragons though.

possm

Coach
I'd like to see Robson at the Dragons for the 2023 season. Liddle can play reserve grade.

Betting more and more supporters are beginning to hate Ben Hunt. Yet we look like being stuck with him for three more bloody years. $700K acceptable $900K unacceptable. We have been denied a decent prop to boost our pack and a much needed line busting edge forward because of this man's self interest. If Hunt had the clubs best interests at heart he'd have accepted the lesser offer. If FO had any balls they'd had told Hunt take the first offer as the kitty is empty. He did not so as a life long Dragons diehard I call him an egostistical greedy a***hole with not one iota of true RedV character.

Last edited:

saintmar

Juniors
Betting more and more supporters are beginning to hate Ben Hunt. Yet we look like being stuck with him for three more bloody years. $700K acceptable $900K unacceptable. We have been denied a decent prop to boost our pack and a much needed line busting edge forward because of this man's self interest. If Hunt had the clubs best interests at heart he'd have accepted the lesser offer. If FO had any balls they'd had told Hunt take the first offer as the kitty is empty. He did not so as a life long Dragons diehard I call him an egostistical greedy a***hole with not one iota of true RedV character.
Well said

Cannot wait for the Hunt contract negotiations to conclude one way or the other.

If we have found a third party sponsor willing to pay Hunt $100k per year, his annual salary May cost the club $800k.

Time for the club to make it clear that he will play whatever position the coach requires, whoever that coach is.

If the board has authorised a contract of $900k per annum fully payable by the club, we are shooting ourselves in the head rather than the foot.

SnowDragon

Juniors
Hunt is our best player.

however, if we re-sign him in high dollars as a half, then we invest too much in that position, until sullivan wants to leave, then we have made a short term investment, and broken up the amigo’s who have a chance to grow into a real team.

we also lack a hooker. Surely pushing hunt to hooker fills a huge hole, allows him to guide the development of rookie halves. If he can’t see that, can’t buy into that, then he should be moved on. this is not a crack at Hunt. It is long term planning for the club.

if we do pay him big dollars to stay in the halves, it’s not his fault. It is the club management.

denis preston

First Grade
Why do you keep pushing for this non event to take the place of our best forward. JDB has played his entire career at lock.. and with distinction. Bird does not know what that word means. He is Ressie standard.. that is where he belongs for remainder of his contract.
Reserve grader ? You're kidding .He did play some good games last year and under the right coach should come good. Admit discipline a problem but a good coach fixes that and never plays him in a position that exposes his defensive issues out wide.

dungay dragon

Juniors
Thinking Bird is on the bench. Need a couple of new props. JBD
plays lock.
Brent Read mentioned Ratchet Clauses in the new Hunt deal
Here are a couple i would insert and insist
1 Play where is best for the Team 7 or 9
2 Retire from all Rep Football commencing forth with
3 Delete any thought of Hook being long term Coach or else
4 Assist at every opportunity with the development of Sullivan and Wallace
Point 2 the poignant one
At Bens age he should be now concentrating on Club football and not Rep Football
One would anticipate he will be selected in the Aussie World Cup squad , so he will have little or no recovery time , before pre season training
Same goes for Origin .Too much injury risk at his age
All energies into the Dragons or play elsewhere

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
3 Delete any though of Hook being long term Coach or else
Point 2 the poignant one
At Bens age he should be now concentrating on Club football and not Rep Football
One would anticipate he will be selected in the Aussie World Cup squad , so he will have little or no recovery time , before pre season training
No reps will cost him so as mercenary as he has shown in these contract negotiations that wont happen. I am hoping that there is a plan for the Hunt/Sullivan takeover but the "best for the team " will only happen with a new coach. Buds only chance next year is injuries and then making the most of them.

Mojo

Bench
3 Delete any though of Hook being long term Coach or else
Point 2 the poignant one
I would abbreviate this to the last two words.

I would abbreviate this to the last two words.
Exactly.
My first words on hearing that we'd signed Ben Hunt were :
"Who?!?!" and "For how much?!?!"
Nothing that he has done subsequently has changed that initial opinion and pandering to his contract demands ( I want Hook as coach, I'll only play at 7 etc etc ) makes us look desperate and weak. Which, of course, we are - but we don't have to emphasize the fact.

possm

Coach
New recruits what a joke. And explain to us baffled fans FO how with a supposed 'frozen salary cap' we are able to find $1.8m for Hunt., or $1.6 if has $200K of that in third party deals.
Cast your eyes over the list of players leaving or that have left the Club this year:

Hunt - 1m
Sims - 800K
McGuire - 400k
Alvaro - 300k
Ford - 200k
Faamausili - 200k
Gosiewsk - 300k
Moga - 200k
O'Ofou -150k
Reuben - 150k
Burgess - 200k (maybe going)
McCullough - 300k (maybe going)

Total savings approximately 3.5m - 4m to spend

The above figures are my best estimate.

David Fifita - 1m
Robson - 600k
New Prop - 700k

Total spend 2.3m
+ upgrades and promotions

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Cast your eyes over the list of players leaving or that have left the Club this year:

Hunt - 1m
Sims - 800K
McGuire - 400k
Alvaro - 300k
Ford - 200k
Faamausili - 200k
Gosiewsk - 300k
Moga - 200k
O'Ofou -150k
Reuben - 150k
Burgess - 200k (maybe going)
McCullough - 300k (maybe going)

Total savings approximately 3.5m - 4m to spend

The above figures are my best estimate.

David Fifita - 1m
Robson - 600k
New Prop - 700k

Total spend 2.3m
+ upgrades and promotions
Oh how I have missed your whiteboard Possm!

But just to correct a few things there:

Hunt has re-signed
Sims - you're about right there
Maguire - same
Alvaro left mid-season and was only on about half of your quote - and was replaced in the squad
Ford - I would say 150k max
Faama - you're about right
Jetski - about half of your estimate (min wage I believe)
Moga - may stay given Hook is still coach and played most of the back half in first grade.
O'Ofou and Rueben were/are Development squad players and not counted in the main cap
Burgess was only on match payments and no word if he will play on, although he did play the last round Koe cup game, but his salary would be min wage only at 120/130k
Macca will stay and will be on a fair chunk more than 300k