What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Green dies aged 49

Not to mention. If you don't feel you can talk to friends. Lifeline and related parties are there to talk to.

Indeed. If you are feeling poor mentally, reach out to someone. Don't feel that no one will understand or won't empathise or will judge you harshly.

kdalymc

Bench
Rip lad. But ffs we gotta stop putting the onus on people to reach out and make the effort, how bout us as a society send the message or phone call to check up, even just a gday. Fkn SMS is free, and we all have data. If your life is awesome or your having a good day, message a mate, he might not be...

Floodwaters

Juniors
Rip lad. But ffs we gotta stop putting the onus on people to reach out and make the effort, how bout us as a society send the message or phone call to check up, even just a gday. Fkn SMS is free, and we all have data. If your life is awesome or your having a good day, message a mate, he might not be...

Alot that commit suicide are extremely good at hiding it, look at Greens last week of living, he played golf with 2 lots of mates, all seemed fine, he attended old boys day in Sydney, him and Ricky Stuart are filmed for a extended period smiling and embracing one another, he bought a new boat last week and a trip was planned for this weekend so how is anyone outside the closest too him meant to know anything is wrong.

kdalymc

Bench
how is anyone outside the closest too him meant to know anything is wrong
I didnt say to be a mind reader. I said we put alot of pressure on people - it ain't week to speak etc, instead of it ain't week to message a mate and see how he's going. That might have been what he needed.
But yes Paul's case is bizarre. Love to know more.

I've been on both sides of this. I had a work colleague who committed suicide who was in a similar situation to Paul Green (i.e. was married, had children etc). I had my youngest niece who attempted suicide. I lost a cousin who hanged herself, whilst I myself attempted to take my own life.

One common factor is that when you are troubled, you feel like you would be a "bother/burden" to your family and/or friends which is why you don't talk to them and reach out about your problems. Hence why it is important to make anyone you suspect of having a tough time feel that they are wanted and are free to talk to you about anything, that no matter how frivolous it could appear, that you will give them a sympathetic ear.

The work colleague who did commit suicide, a mutual friend still beats himself up about what happened on that day. He tried to ring him in the morning, but the phone was engaged so he decided to ring back in the afternoon. When he did, the guy was gone. He still thinks about "Had I tried sooner, I may have been able to talk him out of it/help him". He feels massive guilt about some 15 years later. That's probably what some of Paul Green's friends and family are going thru now.

You don't need to pry or force them to talk. Just let them know you are there, you are thinking about them, and that if they ever need to talk about anything that you will listen and not judge.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Alot that commit suicide are extremely good at hiding it, look at Greens last week of living, he played golf with 2 lots of mates, all seemed fine, he attended old boys day in Sydney, him and Ricky Stuart are filmed for a extended period smiling and embracing one another, he bought a new boat last week and a trip was planned for this weekend so how is anyone outside the closest too him meant to know anything is wrong.
That’s the problem with black dog. I’ve had ti ease up on drinking cause I’ve realised that if I drink often enough. Not even going over board but 2-4 times a week that after a few months I can get into a bad head space. Not to mention I’ve had some pretty serious concussions in my time. So I suspect that doesn’t help either.

There is nothing logical when your in that situation. But I will say I’m more aware these days when it’s coming on and can ensure I don’t drink at all till it passes.

Last edited:

Billythekid

First Grade
Just awful news all round. Feel for Green and his family and friends. It's so easy to get into a cycle of blaming yourself for what happened to Green but it absolutely wasn't their fault. Just a tragic situation.
That’s the problem with black dog. I’ve had ti ease up on drinking cause I’ve realised that if I drink often enough. Not even going over board but 2-4 times a week that after a few months I can get into a bad head space. Not to mention I’ve had some pretty serious concussions in my time. So I suspect that doesn’t help either.

There is nothing logical when your in that situation. But I will say I’m more aware these days when it’s coming on and can ensure I don’t drink at all till it passes.
There is a strong relationship between alcohol and people attempting suicide. Every day at work I look after people who are either having suicidal thoughts or have attempted suicide and it's staggering how often alcohol is involved.

Dogs Of War

Coach
There is a strong relationship between alcohol and people attempting suicide. Every day at work I look after people who are either having suicidal thoughts or have attempted suicide and it's staggering how often alcohol is involved.
It’s one of those things that should have awareness campaigns around. Mental health and drinking. Took me too long to learn myself.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It did cross my mind given the relationship we have seen between suicide and CTE but I didnt hear any mention of other cognitive problems for Greenie.

The family of Paul Green have donated his brain to science.
Just a week after the tragic death of the former player and coach, the Australian Sports Brain Bank has acknowledged the donation in a bid to further the understanding of the concussion-related condition chronic traumatic encephalopathy.
Green was found dead at his home in Brisbane last Thursday, aged 49. He is survived by his wife Amanda and children Emerson and Jed.
His family left the following post on the Sports Brain Bank website, with a goal of raising up to $150,000 for research: "In memory of our beloved Paul, we ask that you support the pioneering work of the Australian Sports Brain Bank.

thenrlphinsider

Juniors
Sad reading in the papers today relating to the death of Paul Green and the impacts from CTE which was deemed, "one of the most severe we've seen." The front page of the Daily Telegraph reads, "Experts say repeated head knocks damages his brain so much that was unable to resist his urges when he suicided in August." Just scary to read.

The case linked in this post will change the whole landscape of rugby league. It is not IF, but when, the game will be forced to rethink a lot of what has been accepted both in the past and today in my opinion. The pre-season will change. Training. Game-day protocols. Post-game protocols. Rugby league will continue - as will the NFL - though the game will be forced by legislators and legal-minds to change to mitigate risk to all stakeholders. It will not be long before a group of Australasian rugby league players launch their own legal action against the National Rugby League and associated bodies i.e. the NSWRL, QRL etc.

The Predictor

Juniors
Sad reading in the papers today relating to the death of Paul Green and the impacts from CTE which was deemed, "one of the most severe we've seen." The front page of the Daily Telegraph reads, "Experts say repeated head knocks damages his brain so much that was unable to resist his urges when he suicided in August." Just scary to read.

The case linked in this post will change the whole landscape of rugby league. It is not IF, but when, the game will be forced to rethink a lot of what has been accepted both in the past and today in my opinion. The pre-season will change. Training. Game-day protocols. Post-game protocols. Rugby league will continue - as will the NFL - though the game will be forced by legislators and legal-minds to change to mitigate risk to all stakeholders. It will not be long before a group of Australasian rugby league players launch their own legal action against the National Rugby League and associated bodies i.e. the NSWRL, QRL etc.

Rugby league will cease to exist in the not too distant future….

T-Boon

Coach
Edge forwards need to be bad football.
That gigantic Penrith edge forward who is celebrated for running at the little skill players - that is great football now.
Rules need to change so that is crap unsuccessful football.
Because it is a god-awful look to mums.

Floodwaters

Juniors
Edge forwards need to be bad football.
That gigantic Penrith edge forward who is celebrated for running at the little skill players - that is great football now.
Rules need to change so that is crap unsuccessful football.
Because it is a god-awful look to mums.
You can’t make it illegal for a big guy to run at a small guy🤣

Its part of the game.

Problem is AFL, soccer, RL, RU, NFL… all have a degree of head injury risk. Will be interesting times for all sports. Soccer is looking at banning the header (or have done in some places).

Latest posts