What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2023

Tigerm

First Grade

EXCLUSIVE: Wests Tigers fend of AFL challenge for young gun Navren Willett​

Wests Tigers have won a battle to sign a promising country centre - beating the Sydney Swans to gain his services.

Navren Willett, a tall 18-year-old from the NSW mid-north coast town of Taree, has agreed to a four year deal with the Tigers.

But not before the Swans tried to sway the youngster with a booming kicking game to play Australian Rules.

Willett played in Newcastle's Harold Matts team this season and also played some AFL in his spare time.

"He is one of those kids who is just a natural all-round sportsman," Willett's manager Michael Hudson told Wide World of Sports.

"I had a lot of interest in him from NRL clubs and then the Swans' approach from left-field.

"But league is his preference and he will play in the Tigers' SG Ball team next year before hopefully progressing to the top 25 from there."

While centre appears Willett's best spot, he has also shown he can play at fullback and halfback.

The Pathways team seems to be on the ball?

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade

EXCLUSIVE: Wests Tigers fend of AFL challenge for young gun Navren Willett​

Wests Tigers have won a battle to sign a promising country centre - beating the Sydney Swans to gain his services.

Navren Willett, a tall 18-year-old from the NSW mid-north coast town of Taree, has agreed to a four year deal with the Tigers.

But not before the Swans tried to sway the youngster with a booming kicking game to play Australian Rules.

Willett played in Newcastle's Harold Matts team this season and also played some AFL in his spare time.

"He is one of those kids who is just a natural all-round sportsman," Willett's manager Michael Hudson told Wide World of Sports.

"I had a lot of interest in him from NRL clubs and then the Swans' approach from left-field.

"But league is his preference and he will play in the Tigers' SG Ball team next year before hopefully progressing to the top 25 from there."

While centre appears Willett's best spot, he has also shown he can play at fullback and halfback.
Though the Sheenius will want him in the F/R next season.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Tired of waiting, my best wishes and guesses for starting side R 1 based on current rumours?

1. Staines
2. Ken
3. Naden
4. Laurie
5. Nofo
6. Doueihi
7. Brooks🙁
8. Klemmer?
9. Koro
10. Offa
11. Papa
12. Blore
13. Bateman?
14. Stefano
15. Twal
16. Frizell?
17. Seyfarth
18. Talau

We are still a few short though.

Last edited:

Shredder

Juniors
Would love to see Staines at 1 but I dont think thats going to happen.

Other than that, thats a serviceable side.

Fordy20

Juniors
Lee Hagipantelis - West Tigers chairman said:
“We came last this year, we took home the wooden spoon for the first time in our history, and that was unacceptable. We cannot allow that to happen again, difficult decisions have been made and will continue to be made, I cannot make any apologies for that."
If you didn't want the wooden spoon for the first time in club history, then you shouldn't have sacked Madge mid season you muppet.

Tigerm

First Grade
1668663027683.png
Does anyone know who this guy is? Is it the Rugby guy (his name escapes me)? He looks a unit whoever he is.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Tired of waiting, my best wishes and guesses for starting side R 1 based on current rumours?

1. Staines
2. Ken
3. Naden
4. Laurie
5. Nofo
6. Doueihi
7. Brooks🙁
8. Klemmer?
9. Koro
10. Offa
11. Papa
12. Blore
13. Bateman?
14. Stefano
15. Twal
16. Frizell?
17. Seyfarth
18. Talau

Sheens will throw up a few surprises, he always does. Fonua Pole will definitely be in the 17 though.

I’ll throw this as an early one:

1. Laurie
2. Nofoaluma
3. Kepeoa
4. Naden
5. Maumalo
6. Doueihi
7. Brooks
8. Klemmer
9. Korisau
10. Twal
11. Bateman
12. Papalli
13. Ofahengaue
14. Utoikamanu
15. Pole
16. Blore
17. Simpkin/Talau/Staines

* I have a feeling Sheens will play Laurie as a backup half, so wouldn’t be surprised if Staines starts the year at 1
* Interesting to see what happens with Talau, he’s put on some size, wouldn’t surprise if he moves to backrow or bench utility
* Last time Sheens would often carry a back on the bench, so again get ready for a random one

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade

1. Staines
2. Ken
3. Naden
4. Laurie
5. Nofo
6. Doueihi
7. Brooks🙁
8. Klemmer?
9. Koro
10. Offa
11. Papa
12. Blore
13. Bateman?
14. Stefano
15. Twal
16. Frizell?
17. Seyfarth
18. Talau

Still a few to come and positions to be settled, the last question, who will be captain?

I’m thinking Doueihi , but he seems like he‘s wanting to leave?

Tigerm

First Grade
I'm counting 28.

If Bateman comes, obviously 29 with 1 to go?

TIGERS

2023 squad
: Shawn Blore (2024), Luke Brooks (2023), Adam Doueihi (2023), Sione Fainu (2024), Asu Kepaoa (2024), Apisai Koroisau (2024 MO 2025), Daine Laurie (2023), Ken Maumalo (2023, PO 2024), Rua Ngatikaura (2024), Brent Naden (2025), David Nofoaluma (2025), Joe Ofahengaue (2025), Isaiah Papali’i (2025), Fonua Pole (2025), Triston Reilly (2024), Apisalome Saukuru (2023), Alex Seyfarth (2023), Jake Simpkin (2024), Tuki Simpkins (2023), Will Smith (2023), Charlie Staines (2023), Tommy Talau (2023), Starford To’a (2024), Brandon Tumeth (2024), Junior Tupou (2024), Alex Twal (2024), Stefano Utoikamanu (2024 MO 2025), Justin Matamua (2025)

Development players:Christian Ma’anaima (2023), Josh Feledy (2023), Kitione Kautoga (2023)

2023 gains:Apisai Koroisau (Panthers), Isaiah Papali’i (Eels), David Nofoaluma (Storm - return from loan), Charlie Staines (Panthers), Will Smith (Hull FC)

2023 losses: Jackson Hastings (Knights), Luke Garner (Panthers), James Tamou (Cowboys), Kelma Tuilagi (Sea Eagles), Zane Musgrove (Dragons), Tyrone Peachey (Panthers), Oliver Gildart (Dolphins)

Coach: Tim Sheens (2024)