What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Chipmunk

Coach
Agree with this and I think the majority here see Brown as the priority. I reckon we pay Brown the big bucks and just cope without a 7. Yes that may mean Jake for a bit until Sanders is ready or even buy someone like Penrith's O'Sullivan who just went to the Dolphins.

I am worried that the shit clubs will be throwing $1.4m at both of them. I'd hate to be held to ransom like Newcastle is with Ponga and pay massive overs. Do we match anything for Brown ?
The cap is apparently going up over 20% in one season, surely we can then afford to pay Brown and Moses 20% more?

Cloeel

Juniors
The cap is apparently going up over 20% in one season, surely we can then afford to pay Brown and Moses 20% more?

Just because the cap goes up does not mean Moses and Browns value on there next contract should go up.

Munster is a premiership winner and is on 1m. As i said 1m for Moses is plenty.

It will be disappointing if the club bend over and go any higher.

Gronk

Staff member
How is Mitchell Moses worth more than Munster?

1M per season is plenty. Take it or move on.
He's not. But he's worth more than Ponga.

Is that the line in the sand ? We walk away ?

Chipmunk

Coach

I think Moses is worth $1.15 million and Brown $1 million. If we're offering less than that then we aren't really playing fair in my view, although Moses is also dependent on contract length.

Cloeel

Juniors

Your right. But we aren't the knights. We do not allow players and managers to bend us over for there own personal gain.

Gronk

Staff member
I think Moses is worth $1.15 million and Brown $1 million. If we're offering less than that then we aren't really playing fair in my view, although Moses is also dependent on contract length.
So that's what you would offer if you were in charge of the Eels roster ? Are those the walk away prices ?

Chipmunk

Coach
So that's what you would offer if you were in charge of the Eels roster ? Are those the walk away prices ?
That is what I think their maximum value to the club is for 2024 under the salary cap, and I'd walk away at anything higher. That is what I would offer if I was in charge.

If we can't find TPA's to pay above this, then that is another more significant issue in itself.

Chipmunk

Coach
This is basically quoting the Phil Rothfield article -

Interestingly Buzz asked "“When is a million dollars not enough for a player who hasn’t won a grand final with his club?"

Ben Hunt was paid $1.2 million a season with a salary cap that would be at least 25% lower.

IFR33K

Coach
Given the likely increase in the salary cap, I think he is worth more than $1 million. I'd go as far to say that if they have offered $1 million and that is the final maximum, then the club is being disrespectful and I support his decision to leave.

However, I don't think he is worth $1.4 million under the cap either. I'd probably max out at $1.2 million under the cap.

agree. If we’ve got RCG, paulo and Gutho all on big coin, you’d expect your premium play maker, kicker and general to be paid a decent amount more. 1.1-1.2 wouldn’t be out of the question especially with the cap going up. Can also throw in a coaching role post footy. Ball is in our court to lose Moses.

Last edited:

IFR33K

Coach
Just because the cap goes up does not mean Moses and Browns value on there next contract should go up.

Munster is a premiership winner and is on 1m. As i said 1m for Moses is plenty.

It will be disappointing if the club bend over and go any higher.

Why would it be disappointing? He’s a top shelf half, losing him after losing rheed will be nothing short of disgraceful. It’s not like we’ve got a rich history of developing a quality 7. Without Moses we’ll be disastrous

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yes, Moses' offer is absolutely dependent on contract length. We could offer him $1M through to age 35+ to sweeten the deal but we will likely be hurting in those final years.

Gronk

Staff member
That is what I think their maximum value to the club is for 2024 under the salary cap, and I'd walk away at anything higher. That is what I would offer if I was in charge.

If we can't find TPA's to pay above this, then that is another more significant issue in itself.
Personally I don't see why any business would bother shelling out $200,000 for a TPA, as you would get almost zero return for a chunk of your marketing budget. So really TPAs are sports philanthropy by someone who can afford it.

Having said that, there are not many who would throw $200k x 4 years at a player even if they could afford it, because you didn't get that rich in the first place by making bone head decisions.