What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Cloeel

Juniors
Ponga has a winning percentage of 41%. He doesn't change that much.

Ponga has impacted/changed numerous games that the knights have lost.

Just because he has major impact - does not mean that the knights win more often as a result.

Exactly why I think Moses is more reliable at this stage.

eel01s

Bench
TPA's are amazing aren't they? Some sponsor pays all this money for a particular player, but they can't use him in club gear. As said above, a low return for the sponsor. They are supposed to be for the player, independent of any club. Yet some clubs can offer a deal with TPA's, and we seemingly can't.

yy_cheng

Coach
I'm not sure that Asi has ever been near to playing hooker. He's a back/ half. I think we have other options to cover for 9 if necessary. I spoke to someone who knows Jayden Yates the other day. Reckons he's a champion kid and will do whatever he can to make it. We might be surprised by him I think.
Yeah but look at BAs history.

Ja was backup hooker
B4 that it was stone and bryce

I fit think ba thinks highly of a backup hooker

Btw, i don't disagree with you but BA picks the team

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He's been the highest paid player in the game for 5 years, not sure he's been the best player though.
He’s not the best but not far off imo. Cleary, Munster, Ponga are the best. Wighton, Tedesco, Trbojevic are all up there as well. Maybe Latrell Mitchell too. I think Drown is likely to join this class of player. It’s hard to judge players across teams of differing strength, but I think Ben Hunt is easily in the top ten. Moses isn’t.

Chipmunk

Coach
Personally I don't see why any business would bother shelling out $200,000 for a TPA, as you would get almost zero return for a chunk of your marketing budget. So really TPAs are sports philanthropy by someone who can afford it.

Having said that, there are not many who would throw $200k x 4 years at a player even if they could afford it, because you didn't get that rich in the first place by making bone head decisions.
It is a random thing the TPA's. You obviously see some sport ads with players who are on TPA's. Lomax with other sports people on some sports supplement advert springs to mind, and Slater some years back doing something also.

People talk about the Dogs now having more cash because of Laundy involvement, but I would think that if a Dogs player is even given a voucher for one free drink at a Laundy hotel that this would have to be declared and would be included in the salary cap.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Personally I don't see why any business would bother shelling out $200,000 for a TPA, as you would get almost zero return for a chunk of your marketing budget. So really TPAs are sports philanthropy by someone who can afford it.

Having said that, there are not many who would throw $200k x 4 years at a player even if they could afford it, because you didn't get that rich in the first place by making bone head decisions.
There are rich merkins incinerating money on EPL clubs every year. Think of it as an expensive hobby. For business owners a couple hundred grand a year might be worth it. It would also be a tax write off.

Chipmunk

Coach
He’s not the best but not far off imo. Cleary, Munster, Ponga are the best. Wighton, Tedesco, Trbojevic are all up there as well. Maybe Latrell Mitchell too. I think Drown is likely to join this class of player. It’s hard to judge players across teams of differing strength, but I think Ben Hunt is easily in the top ten. Moses isn’t.
Yet if he goes to the Tigpies, Moses is likely to become the highest paid player in the game. This does seem similar to the Dragons signing of Hunt.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
It is a random thing the TPA's. You obviously see some sport ads with players who are on TPA's. Lomax with other sports people on some sports supplement advert springs to mind, and Slater some years back doing something also.

People talk about the Dogs now having more cash because of Laundy involvement, but I would think that if a Dogs player is even given a voucher for one free drink at a Laundy hotel that this would have to be declared and would be included in the salary cap.
Yeah well excuse me for being a cynic, but that contra deal like we did with black cube IT is probably fairly typical of how TPAs work in the real world. I do a job for $100k, the club pays me for $300k and I do a TPA for the surplus.

Alternatively, a major sponsor who completes 20+ apartment complexes per annum has a supplier of bricks. Nod, nod, wink, wink the supplier of bricks becomes a footy supporter / TPA sponsor.

I am doubting that any big coin TPAs exist above $50k pa and the bulk would be very grey indeed.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
At moment Moses is providing more bang for buck. But in general Pongas ceiling is far higher.

Ponga at 28 will be 10 x the player Moses will ever be.

Ponga changes the game almost every time he plays. But at the moment Moses is more reliable.
I think Moses just has better team mates.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yet if he goes to the Tigpies, Moses is likely to become the highest paid player in the game. This does seem similar to the Dragons signing of Hunt.
Possibly, or just the highest reported. Who knows how much the top players are really getting? And Moses isn’t the only player negotiating for 2014.

Chipmunk

Coach
Yeah well excuse me for being a cynic, but that contra deal like we did with black cube IT is probably fairly typical of how TPAs work in the real world. I do a job for $100k, the club pays me for $300k and I do a TPA for the surplus.

Alternatively, a major sponsor who completes 20+ apartment complexes per annum has a supplier of bricks. Nod, nod, wink, wink the supplier of bricks becomes a footy supporter / TPA sponsor.

I am doubting that any big coin TPAs exist above $50k pa and the bulk would be very grey indeed.
You're probably close to the money on all of this.

lucablight

First Grade
Possibly, or just the highest reported. Who knows how much the top players are really getting? And Moses isn’t the only player negotiating for 2014.
Ponga seems to be another Hayne situation. He’s not conducive to winning (except at rep level) because he takes up so much cap space that it makes it hard for him to have good team mates.

Latest posts