What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The real numbers of AFL members in Sydney and it's not 80,000!!!

The_Wookie

Bench
So that article would have been 7-8 years old when you posted it.
And written by "Glenn Jackson is a Rugby League Writer for The Sydney Morning Herald"
See the conflict?
Anyway, who gives a toss about some participation numbers.
The AFL lives rent free in your head.
You never stop talking about it.
#Rent Free #Rent Free #Rent Free #Rent Free #Rent Free #Rent Free #Rent Free

It was an issue in 2012. To the point that the AFL had someone go up there to look for the real figures.

If you want conflicts - The curious nature of the SMH covering this with almost no Telegraph coverage had some light shed on it through Crikey which revealed that a senior Fairfax (owners of the SMH) editor, Glenn Burge was heavily involved in the soccer club at hand.

Pneuma

First Grade
It was an issue in 2012. To the point that the AFL had someone go up there to look for the real figures.

If you want conflicts - The curious nature of the SMH covering this with almost no Telegraph coverage had some light shed on it through Crikey which revealed that a senior Fairfax (owners of the SMH) editor, Glenn Burge was heavily involved in the soccer club at hand.
Do membership numbers mean anything anymore? Twenty years ago it meant you were a full member who attended pretty much all home games. These days many appear to be giveaways with McDonalds vouchers. I’m an out of state sharks member. Costs about $140. Haven’t been able to attend a game for two years but I still pay up. I think that’s legit. But those 1-3 game memberships look more like discounts than anything.

The_Wookie

Bench
Do membership numbers mean anything anymore? Twenty years ago it meant you were a full member who attended pretty much all home games. These days many appear to be giveaways with McDonalds vouchers. I’m an out of state sharks member. Costs about $140. Haven’t been able to attend a game for two years but I still pay up. I think that’s legit. But those 1-3 game memberships look more like discounts than anything.

In the AFL at least, the numbers are nearly meaningless. Before 2011, there was a clear distiniction between access and non access members, a couple of years ago it became a minium spend of $50 on a membership and some contact information, from 2020 it was just contact information...

Hopefully NRL memberships arent quite as bad in terms of relevance - but there are some clubs with shocking lol membership and ticketing dollars being reported - so it might be a plague on everyone.

footy75

Bench
In the AFL at least, the numbers are nearly meaningless. Before 2011, there was a clear distiniction between access and non access members, a couple of years ago it became a minium spend of $50 on a membership and some contact information, from 2020 it was just contact information...

Hopefully NRL memberships arent quite as bad in terms of relevance - but there are some clubs with shocking lol membership and ticketing dollars being reported - so it might be a plague on everyone.

You are saying football clubs count members for putting down contact details?
Which clubs do this ? Incredible if true.

footy75

Bench
its been the benchmark standard for AFL clubs since 2019.

That's unreal.

What clubs exactly do this? So clubs like Collingwood and Richmond are full of shit with those huge numbers??
They seem insane from the outside.

I always thought to be counted as a member of any football club of any code in Australia you had to be paying something.
I honestly wouldn't of believed this from anyone else around here (would just seem like your usual crying). But you are all over Australian Sports with data like no one else.

The_Wookie

Bench
That's unreal.

What clubs exactly do this? So clubs like Collingwood and Richmond are full of shit with those huge numbers??
They seem insane from the outside.

I always thought to be counted as a member of any football club of any code in Australia you had to be paying something.
I honestly wouldn't of believed this from anyone else around here (would just seem like your usual crying). But you are all over Australian Sports with data like no one else.

its been a fact since 2021 at least