What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World club challenge

saintnickle

Juniors
NRL would be funding it, Lets be serious here even the Reserve grade side the Dragons will run out against them is better than most sides they will play during their season
Doubt it ....
Don’t be fooled this saints team is bang average. The league has gotten weaker. Plenty of Wigan , Leeds teams over the last 10 years beat this saints team comfortably. The only nrl standard player who would start games at quite a few clubs would be Tommy makinson
Welsby,Makinson,Percival,Lomax,Walsmley,Knowles are not bang average ..Dear me some of you think your unbeatable..

Murraymob1

Juniors
Doubt it ....

Welsby,Makinson,Percival,Lomax,Walsmley,Knowles are not bang average ..Dear me some of you think your unbeatable..
We don’t take your team for granted others like me don’t follow English league and just don’t know what level the league is at over there

St_Helens_Goat

Juniors
When players like Brodie Croft are winning player of the year, That tells you all you need to know about the standard
Brodie Croft is a fantastic player, He is relishing at the fact there is no media pressure in the UK.

At Saints Lomax, Walmsley, Welsby, Dodd, Makinson and Knowles are all top quality. Lees, Batchelor Sione Matuatia and Paasi are very good players. Sironen had a good season and Bennison and Wingfield could be future England internationals.

Do we have a chance of winning ? let us spend what Penrith do on the Salary cap and we'd give it a good go! kind of handicapped when ones salary is more than 3x that of its opponent.

Brodie Croft is a fantastic player, He is relishing at the fact there is no media pressure in the UK.

At Saints Lomax, Walmsley, Welsby, Dodd, Makinson and Knowles are all top quality. Lees, Batchelor Sione Matuatia and Paasi are very good players. Sironen had a good season and Bennison and Wingfield could be future England internationals.

Do we have a chance of winning ? let us spend what Penrith do on the Salary cap and we'd give it a good go! kind of handicapped when ones salary is more than 3x that of its opponent.
The nrl is tougher and our players are better, it's as simple as that.

Blues Riff

Bench

So if you were much better, you'd be a big chance. OK.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

I believe that until Superleague stops it's competition from being an NRL retirement fund issues will occur.

Spend money on development and pathways. It's not an easy, nor a cheap route. It will take time, perhaps 10-15 years, but it will work. Identify kids when they are young, get them appropriate training and coaching.

Bringing in aging NRL players does nothing but prop up a broken system within superleague.

martielang

Bench

Hopefully a good game. I'm sure you've got good players in the ranks who will surprise a few.

I tend to agree re; Croft. A more open free flowing game probably allows him to flourish as well.

St_Helens_Goat

Juniors
I believe that until Superleague stops it's competition from being an NRL retirement fund issues will occur.

Spend money on development and pathways. It's not an easy, nor a cheap route. It will take time, perhaps 10-15 years, but it will work. Identify kids when they are young, get them appropriate training and coaching.

Bringing in aging NRL players does nothing but prop up a broken system within superleague.

Easier said than done when Rugby League is behind Football, Cricket and Rugby Union in the Uk. My town St Helens is 30 minutes drive from Anfield (Liverpool FC) Goodison (Everton) and 35 minutes drive from Etihad (Man City) and Old Trafford (Man United) not to mention football clubs like Bolton, Tranmere, Wigan who play in lower divisions.

The South of England is dominated by Rugby Union.

St Helens, Wigan and Leeds all have a fantastic junior development programmes.

I think your retirement comment is harsh. At my club alone ive seen some fantastic overseas players Jamie Lyon, Jason Cayless (in his prime) and some older players like David Fairleigh and Darren Britt really was fantastic despite the ages.

NRL have got it right, its a fantastic product but its like comparing Apples to Oranges when you compare finances, talent pool etc..