What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World club challenge

Love the fact that St Helen's chief exec is suffering from 'a bad case of sunburn'.

Aother wonderful thought by St Helens.........'we went from 10-12 degree heat to playing in 30 degree heat in the south of France'.

These blokes have seriously no idea what Penrith brings at 6pm on a summer's night.

Especially after not training in extreme heat for the summer.

St Helens, Welcome to HELL. :p:eek::D
I've moved to Yamanto, which is about a 40 minute drive from Brisbane. On Friday we experienced a heatwave, and I was almost hospitalized due to dehydration. The English players will melt

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Dragons won the midweek AMPCO cup final as Well beating the raging red hot favourites Tigers at the tiger's home ground In an upset 😀
Sipping So What GIF by Lifetime

Original Name

Juniors
And Jackson Hastings before that? Who is onto his 4th NRL club
(edit) Regarding the Chooks Hastings has publicly said he was ay young 18 year old who just won a minor prem and he got a big head which the senior players in the team didn't like. Neither that or Manly thing had nothing to do with his playing ability. He was dropped at Manly moved on because the players didn't like his abrasive personality. He was very up and down some days he'd be fine and other he would come into training not wanting to talk to anyone. Manly have a culture of pranking people and Hastings (at the time) hated it when people did shit like scares for shits and giggles and obviously the thing with DCE.

The Tigers only had their bright spots when Hastings was playing well. The matches against the Eels and Souths/a few matches when he went well at lock imo was the high point of their season.

Regardless though Hynes won the Dally M it doesn't mean anyone sensible thinks Hynes is a better player than Munster, Cleary, Turbo, Grant, Yeo, Murray, etc. Just like Jonny Lomax is without doubt a better player than Brodie Croft. In the SL it was widely considered Jai Field had a better year by the fans anyway.

Like the majority of Penrith fans believe Luke Garner was just in a poor system and he's decent as a player because Ivan's picked him and they have faith in Ivan. It would be strange for only those type of players who move to Penrith to have a chance to be decent and everyone else who hasn't set the world on fire is actually destined to be a shit/mediocre player not taking into account any nuance or circumstance.

Last edited:

Murraymob1

Juniors
Do we know the substitute rule for the game I beleive the St. Helens v dragons game may be unlimited .Hopefully the panther v St. Helens game is limited to the 17 players with the normal interchange .Our fitness will be ahead of there’s

Original Name

Juniors
Do we know the substitute rule for the game I beleive the St. Helens v dragons game may be unlimited .Hopefully the panther v St. Helens game is limited to the 17 players with the normal interchange .Our fitness will be ahead of there’s
Our game is normal international rules as are all World Club Challenges. Dunno about the Dragons.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach

Yeah normal rules apply

blue bags

First Grade
Who gets the chance to play the world club challenge championship at home. Not many. 1 game . 1 chance. To recreate history. Panthers has to. Needs to win this 1 game.. Create Panthers history 😉

FearTheVee!

Juniors
Interesting thread - whilst I don't think Saints will win the WCC I certainly think they will suprise a few based on some Panthers fan comments on here.

We're probably the most NRL-esque team to come out of SL in recent times, by which I mean we play with a high level of intensity that teams have struggled to live with. This Saints side is a team in the true sense of the word and I thiunk will give a good account of themselves.

Players like Makinson, Welsby, Percival, Lomax, Dodd, Walmsley, Knowles, Roby, Lees, Bachelor would all get a run in good NRL sides in my opinion. Then there are the ex NRL lads like Sironen, Lussick, Paasi, Sione, Hurrell who are decent players albeit not amongst our very best.

I think eventually a good few of the players who play in a couple of weeks will end up in the NRL and will be some of the better players to have done so (Welsby and Dodd in particular).

I think you'll enjoy the game and Saints will give a strong account of ourselves and SL.

blue bags

First Grade
The Panthers team for the world club challenge is not the same team that won the NRL ok. Eels nearly won ok. I would not be surprised at results of this game 😃

Original Name

Juniors
Interesting thread - whilst I don't think Saints will win the WCC I certainly think they will suprise a few based on some Panthers fan comments on here.

We're probably the most NRL-esque team to come out of SL in recent times, by which I mean we play with a high level of intensity that teams have struggled to live with. This Saints side is a team in the true sense of the word and I thiunk will give a good account of themselves.

Players like Makinson, Welsby, Percival, Lomax, Dodd, Walmsley, Knowles, Roby, Lees, Bachelor would all get a run in good NRL sides in my opinion. Then there are the ex NRL lads like Sironen, Lussick, Paasi, Sione, Hurrell who are decent players albeit not amongst our very best.

I think eventually a good few of the players who play in a couple of weeks will end up in the NRL and will be some of the better players to have done so (Welsby and Dodd in particular).

I think you'll enjoy the game and Saints will give a strong account of ourselves and SL.
I'd rate the Saints as on the same level of threat as say the Raiders. If we're off we're game and coming in getting up for this game like it's a gf to them we'll be in danger. If we're not off our game I think Saints at their best will completive for 60 minutes before being blown out of the water in the last 20. That's what happens when most good teams get up to face Penrith most of the time.

A bit relevant too. Saints and most SL teams throw the ball around a lot/play unstructured compared to NRL teams and the Raiders play an unorthodox style of football when they play well. The Raiders play their best against us when they try and bully us in the first 20 with their size which I assume Saints will try to do through Walmsley. They'll have to lead in by the first 20 to have any chance of winning and I assume it'll have to be points off a Walmsley play the ball or offload that breaks down our defence if it isn't against the run of play.

Saints should have closely watched the Samoan vs Tonga match. The starting Tongan hooker was getting run over by the Samoan players and we'll have him coming off the bench at hooker. They should have their most destructive runners target him when he comes on but if Saints are losing field position when he comes on with Penrith compressing their defence and body guarding him it's easier said than done.

Last edited:

Hooked

Juniors

You will beat the Dragons that is a guarantee. Whether they are full-strength or not. They are crap.

I expect a good game when you play us.