What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 NRL ratings

Wb1234

Referee
A second team won’t do anything for subscription TV in New Zealand. The reason why is that most sporting events are shown on subscription TV as opposed to FTA TV. So no it won’t do much

Even if that were the case (rising subscriptions) I’ll repeat there is no competition. It’s a monopoly. The whole point of monopolies for a business and why it is bad for consumers and good for those businesses is they are not obliged to do anything. So Sky are under no obligation to pay extra and if there is no obligation to pay extra then they won’t.

Also there is no way outside of say a finals match (perhaps) that a Warriors match would have the same ratings as an All Blacks match. Sure the Warriors and League have some popularity but to seriously suggest that they could beat Union is foolhardy. It’s not realistic at all
Yes it will

it’s more content

the post I linked above showed over 20 percent of kiwis watch rugby league on tv

the game is wildly popular in nz on tv and another team is very valuable

unlike Perth Aussie tv have no interest in paying for it

It is mind boggling bizarre to want a 2nd team in NZ before covering a major Capital city in Aust.
RU is a religion in NZ
RL is down the list ..that’s just a fact.
& will never ever overtake RU .
We have a nice following that pays off but a second team won’t suddenly produce a new massive amount of fans ..or TV $$ .

Perth needs a team ..
simply because it doesnt have one to cater for the small following .
but ther is the potential for Perth to attract a larger following.
due to not having a team at all .

plus there’s the AUST tv $$$ & a good time slot.
It’s a no brainer .

Wb1234

Referee
Couldn’t agree more. The NRL is spoilt for options. The afl has Tasmania and really isn’t interested. I prefer Perth to NZ as it is a new and bigger market, particularly its economy. And it has a government chomping at the bit to get a team. WA is brimming with potential and will become a renewables powerhouse. $$$$$s everywhere. Obvious issue is the small mindedness of NSW teams who are only now starting to show signs of understanding the importance of extending their market reach and support base. The player base doesn’t worry me. It’s a bit of a cop out really. A side played out of Toronto in the ESL ffs. That’s ambition.
NZ has two issues. Warriors need some space to regain its audience post Covid. That’s doable.
More seriously the NZRL really needs an overhaul after years of decline. By any measure NZ rugby league has been struggling. You see that in the NZ thread and if you visit their websites it’s scary how much their comps have shrunk.
I hate union as much as the next sane person but it’s ingrained in their culture. League is a very distant second against all metrics. Still reckon a second club would work though. But I do worry about the state of the game there. I’d be happy for an 18th team from either. I just think Perth offers more.
What ambition ?

they got zero tv money
Had to pay teams travel costs
And we’re totally funded by their Aussie owner David argyle

then got killed off for Leigh

Pneuma

First Grade
It is mind boggling bizarre to want a 2nd team in NZ before covering a major Capital city in Aust.
RU is a religion in NZ
We have a nice following that pays off but a second team won’t suddenly produce a new massive amount of fans ..or TV $$ .

Perth needs a team ..

It’s a no brainer .
Hell phil I’ve been fighting these peanuts all day and you go and ruin it with a dose of logic? You utter bas!ard!

Wb1234

Referee
RU is a religion in NZ

Perth needs a team ..

It’s a no brainer .
You know Andrew abdo was the one who said nz2 should be next

the only reason why nz are waiting is because of covid and the warriors being away from nz for so long

Wb1234

Referee
RU is a religion in NZ

Perth needs a team ..

It’s a no brainer .

Pneuma

First Grade

the only reason why nz are waiting is because of covid and the warriors being away from nz for so long
I think we can now safely put you in the irrational hatred category. Seek help.

Colk

First Grade
Couldn’t agree more. The NRL is spoilt for options. The afl has Tasmania and really isn’t interested. I prefer Perth to NZ as it is a new and bigger market, particularly its economy. And it has a government chomping at the bit to get a team. WA is brimming with potential and will become a renewables powerhouse. $$$$$s everywhere. Obvious issue is the small mindedness of NSW teams who are only now starting to show signs of understanding the importance of extending their market reach and support base. The player base doesn’t worry me. It’s a bit of a cop out really. A side played out of Toronto in the ESL ffs. That’s ambition.
NZ has two issues. Warriors need some space to regain its audience post Covid. That’s doable.
More seriously the NZRL really needs an overhaul after years of decline. By any measure NZ rugby league has been struggling. You see that in the NZ thread and if you visit their websites it’s scary how much their comps have shrunk.
I hate union as much as the next sane person but it’s ingrained in their culture. League is a very distant second against all metrics. Still reckon a second club would work though. But I do worry about the state of the game there. I’d be happy for an 18th team from either. I just think Perth offers more.

That’s a good point about the Warriors. I think the biggest thing to ensure success over there is greater investment in the grassroots and some success on the field for the Warriors

Another thing that could help would be bringing back the under 20’s. That would give more opportunities for young players over there

Pneuma

First Grade
That’s a good point about the Warriors. I think the biggest thing to ensure success over there is greater investment in the grassroots and some success on the field for the Warriors

Another thing that could help would be bringing back the under 20’s. That would give more opportunities for young players over there
100% on the under 20s. Great footy and rated its socks off. I’m really worried about the NZRL. I’ve watched those comps get smaller every year. Even Auckland which surprised me. There is a lot of work to do over there. A good start would be to grow participation by offering lower contact versions of the game as they have done at the Sharks. It secures the clubs by growing the player base and gets more females playing. Should be the model used everywhere tbh. If we ever get things started again down here it would be the way to go.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Over 20 percent of kiwis watch rugby league on tv

not like one percent in Perth
Haha that’s total numbers! Using the same method for perth you’ve got every year

350kfor origin fta
625k regular season fta
150k playoffs and gf fta
plus ptv of easily 600k+

so whilst nz has 875k total rl audience according to that report perth has double that in half the population! But it’s Roy Morgan so total bs as usual From them.

Perth Red

Post Whore

He never did lol.
That was aRoy masters headline Based on Abdo saying the game needed to invest more in grassroots in nz.

Canard

Immortal
A attitude seems to have developed in these forums that the only way to develop juniors and invest in grassroots is by placing an NRL team in the area.

A good start would be to grow participation by offering lower contact versions of the game as they have done at the Sharks.
In the early 2000s a League coach in Waikato had around 150 children playing Tag. He contacted the NZRL for assistance and got the reply - "This has nothing to do with our game". Now the NZRL are desperately playing catch-up with their version called KiwiTag.

Problem is that Tag has developed an organisational structure separate from RL. Those who've put in time and effort building up New Zealand Tag Football Inc don't want RL authorities belatedly butting in so most Tag is still played away from RL clubs.

Exactly the same happened in England with Try Tag Rugby. For a long time Tag was mainly played in the South and a predominantly middle-class pursuit. You might have thought the RFL would have noticed a substantial number of more affluent people playing a form of RL in London. You'd have thought wrong. They've woken up a little recently but, as in NZ, it's hard to make up so much lost ground.

NZTFI and TTR are members of the International Tag Federation along with OzTag. It's these bodies who will send rep teams to Limerick for the Tag World Cup in August 2023. (postponed from 2021)

The previous two Tag WCs (Sunshine Coast 2015 and Coffs Harbour 2018) because of the locations had some informal semblance of links and history with RL. This time in Ireland I'm expecting a "Tag Rugby" WC with all traces of League erased.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just keeping it focussed on Tv value it really is a no brainer:

92% of tv money comes from the 2 Australian tv partners.
SkyNZ only upped payment this time due to spark, which no longer is in the game,
Australian Tv doesnt watch Warriors games in great numbers now,
adding Perth gives a family friendly day time game in Perth whilst giving Australian audiences a tasty Sunday 6pm evening game. This is a prime spot for FTA and PTV, let the bidding for who wins it begin!
90% of media advertising spend in Australia is in the capital metro markets, NRL is missing the reach of 2 of these
AFL has and once again, just shown the TV value of having all 5 metro markets heavily covered

mongoose

Coach

Would like to know what Adbo is basing this on? Sometimes you get the feeling the NRL wished the Warriors didn't exist, let alone a 2nd NZ team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
In the early 2000s a League coach in Waikato had around 150 children playing Tag. He contacted the NZRL for assistance and got the reply - "This has nothing to do with our game". Now the NZRL are desperately playing catch-up with their version called KiwiTag.

Problem is that Tag has developed an organisational structure separate from RL. Those who've put in time and effort building up New Zealand Tag Football Inc don't want RL authorities belatedly butting in so most Tag is still played away from RL clubs.

Exactly the same happened in England with Try Tag Rugby. For a long time Tag was mainly played in the South and a predominantly middle-class pursuit. You might have thought the RFL would have noticed a substantial number of more affluent people playing a form of RL in London. You'd have thought wrong. They've woken up a little recently but, as in NZ, it's hard to make up so much lost ground.

NZTFI and TTR are members of the International Tag Federation along with OzTag. It's these bodies who will send rep teams to Limerick for the Tag World Cup in August 2023. (postponed from 2021)

The previous two Tag WCs (Sunshine Coast 2015 and Coffs Harbour 2018) because of the locations had some informal semblance of links and history with RL. This time in Ireland I'm expecting a "Tag Rugby" WC with all traces of League erased.
One of the best things Smith did was throw loads of money at Touchfootball Australia to bring them under the NRL banner. They remain independently run but branding and link up is now clearly back with Rugby League. Sadly NZRL and RFL dont have the NRL's money to be able to entice them back.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Would like to know what Adbo is basing this on? Sometimes you get the feeling the NRL wished the Warriors didn't exist, let alone a 2nd NZ team.
He actually never said that, 99% of his comments were about investing in grassroots and pathways for NRL, not admitting another NZ club. Masters took the stronger investment in pathways and made up a headline re NZ2.

What he actually said:

“There’s no doubt New Zealand is an enormous market for us,” he said. “Some of our best players in recent years have come from New Zealand and we’re certainly committed to investing in the region and seeing more talent unlocked and emerge through pathways systems. New Zealand is a critical component of our competition.
“In particular, the commission is focused on innovative measures to enhance the pathways systems and it’s something our clubs are focused on as well.”

“In terms of expansion, our priority is ensuring the Dolphins enter the competition successfully and a successful 17-team competition,” he said. “Beyond that, the commission is open to looking at 18 teams down the track and open-minded about the location of potential new markets.”

Basically NZ is player pool for Australian NRL clubs and we want to keep it that way lol

Wb1234

Referee

Lol no he didn’t .
that was a journo spin on words.
mate you used to be a sensible poster but your irrational stand against Perth & posts about RU in NZ make little sense .

Latest posts